DPA DAD adapters reliability

RadoStefanov

Didn't have much success with them myself, they were always coming loose at exactly the wrong moment. And contrary to recent reports, I thought pin 1 wasn't connected to the shield, so no good for Zaxcoms. Someone recently said they had good results though so maybe that's changed.

I've used them a bit and haven't encountered any trouble.

Note: Even though they have different model numbers, the DPA MicroDot to Lemo 3-pin adapter for Sennheiser (DAD 6003) and the one for Zaxcom (DAD 3057) are identical but have different model numbers "for marketing purposes" according to word back from the factory.

I used to cut the microdot connectors out of line as they were problematic on a regular basis even after we tried tread lock, shrink-wrap and other solutions. Avoid them as they are definitely a weak link and will fail.

Now I buy my DPAs pigtailed and solder them myself. Now failure free.

Scott

If you want reliability, solder you own connectors. If you want to take advantage of the microdot connection adapters, you have to tighten and protect the connection between the mic plug and adapter. Use the tightening tool, loop the cable at the plug end, use the plastic net that comes with the adapters and shrink wrap(best) or tape everything together. I use this technique for years and Its been rock solid.Don't leave the connection between mic and adapter unprotected, this will increase the risk of failure.

I have used the DADs a lot. I use the Lectro and Zax versions almost every day, and I rent out the Sennheiser EW version. Every single one of them has seen a lot of abuse, but I have not had a single failure.

The key really is to tighten the connector, but that's an error you'll make once, as the resulting noise is absolutely horrible.

Other than that I don't apply any special treatment (I also don't use the supplied tool for tightening) and it works well - so far...

If you want reliability, solder you own connectors. If you want to take advantage of the microdot connection adapters, you have to tighten and protect the connection between the mic plug and adapter. Use the tightening tool, loop the cable at the plug end, use the plastic net that comes with the adapters and shrink wrap(best) or tape everything together. I use this technique for years and Its been rock solid.Don't leave the connection between mic and adapter unprotected, this will increase the risk of failure.

all my 10+ lavs are wired in to the connector. But very often I have to repair the lemos. DAD lemo looks very sturdy...

I thought you had mentioned some time ago that you preferred the push-pull type -- that's why I asked. 

You should definitely have someone else wire them -- they are usually much more reliable than that. 

Also, are they all genuine Lemo brand or are any a knock-off?  I wired a Lemo copy for one connector (I didn't know that's what it was until it came) and it convinced me that the genuine thing is well worth the money -- even as costly as those little buggers are.

I thought you had mentioned some time ago that you preferred the push-pull type -- that's why I asked. 

You should definitely have someone else wire them -- they are usually much more reliable than that. 

Also, are they all genuine Lemo brand or are any a knock-off?  I wired a Lemo copy for one connector (I didn't know that's what it was until it came) and it convinced me that the genuine thing is well worth the money -- even as costly as those little buggers are.

I prefer the push pull, and have had less problems with strain on them.  I find the strain relief and the screw type easier to break, and have had several break on me.

The problem I have been running into on the push pull is that talent will unscrew the connector instead of pulling it out.  Then of course the little metal plates fall out and the wire breaks.  This has happened to me 4 times in the last two months, (not once before that) I'm considering heat shrinking the back of the connector so people don't try to unscrew it.

I'm considering heat shrinking the back of the connector so people don't try to unscrew it.

That sounds like a good solution.

I've had that happen with TA5s. I even had a wardrobe mistress manage such a dissassembly procedure.

As for 3-pin Lemos, I prefer the screw-on type as they're not as tall and therefore receive less damaging leverage if bumped sideways.

That sounds like a good solution.

I've had that happen with TA5s. I even had a wardrobe mistress manage such a dissassembly procedure.

As for 3-pin Lemos, I prefer the screw-on type as they're not as tall and therefore receive less damaging leverage if bumped sideways.

I had the same thought as far as leverage goes, but so far I have not seen an issue.  The lemo connector is very sturdy when connected, it seems like it would be very difficult to damage.  I've just spent the last three months with my trx900la's with push pull connectors in the pockets of carpenters building tree houses, wearing harnesses on ropes, tool bags, etc.  I know there was some undue stresses on the case and connectors, but the only ones I had break were disasembled by the crew.

The one thing I like about ta5's (switchcraft) as opposed to the lemo's is that even if they take the connector apart, there isn't strain put on the solder connection.  I suppose the screw on Lemo's would alleviate my issue of cast unscrewing the connectors too, however I have had a cast member once get frustrated trying to unscrew one and just yank the mic wire out.  I wish they would just ask me for help. Ugh.

I prefer the push pull, and have had less problems with strain on them.  I find the strain relief and the screw type easier to break, and have had several break on me.

The problem I have been running into on the push pull is that talent will unscrew the connector instead of pulling it out.  Then of course the little metal plates fall out and the wire breaks.  This has happened to me 4 times in the last two months, (not once before that) I'm considering heat shrinking the back of the connector so people don't try to unscrew it.

Heat shrink the the heck of the top of the connector. That is what I do...

Have no idea if the connector is genuine...

I can see both connectors having pros and cons.

Screw type - as you said very dependable. Sometimes however the the connector gets stuck and force screwing over and over kills the connector. 

Push Pull:

I like how quick you can mic and demic somebody. But definitely they get bump a lot more and actually can start to wiggle inside the TX.

I do prefer them push pull because I can do repairs myself. 

I might try to find a LEMO tool for the screw type connection. I have seen DIY tools but rather just buy the original one.

ANy idea where to get that tool?

ANy idea where to get that tool?

Are you referring to a tool for tightening the collar?  i.e. needlenose with thin tips that will fit into the tiny slots on either side of the collar?

I just use a pair of needle-tipped pliers.  They're similar to needlenose but have small, round tips.

However, the Lemos I've been working with more recently are a bit easier.  I don't know if they're a new, improved model or older (UPDATE: I think they're likely a version manufactured by someone else).  I got them on closeout from an electronics dealer (they don't show them on closeout on their site any more).

There are a couple of differences on these.  The metal sleeve that fits below the screw-in collar is not split as it is on the originals (that's both a plus and a minus).  However, the collar is taller and, while it still has the notches, it protrudes enough that it can be tightened from the side with needlenose pliers.

They don't have the crimped collar that is hard to reuse.  When you tighten the collar, it clamps the cable much like a Neutrik XLR does.

Once assembled, they look the same as the other version.

...YIKES -- I JUST DISCOVERED!...

I think the ones that I mentioned above are not actual LEMO brand.  In looking closely, they don't have LEMO written on them which I think all the Lemo manufactured ones do.

That revises some of my thinking.  For one thing, these are working nicely.

For the most part, anyone who has ever had issues tightening the collar will probably like these better.

Here are some quick cell phone photos of each:

post-18-0-83616500-1393101853_thumb.jpg

Actual Lemo.  Including a boot (not shown), this has 7 parts.

post-18-0-38717200-1393101903_thumb.jpg

This is the version I've been wiring up a bunch of recently.  It has 5 parts.

I need to call my supplier and ask for more information on them.