Denecke SB-T vs. Ambient Lockit Box

wbrisett

I haven't ever used the Lockit box, but I have used the SB-T. I need to use one of these on some upcoming productions so I can have the cameras jammed whenever they need to be. Both seem to have nearly identical features and they are nearly identical price wise. Is there any advantage of one over the other?

Thanks,

Wayne

hi wayne

I faced this same dilemma. Here is how I made my decision . Ambient is in Germany, Denecke is in California. A 1 800 number gets you to Charlie Parra who can help you through any issue, plus the printing is bigger on the Denecke.

I do wish the SB-T had a case.

al mcguire

Hi Wayne,

A few things I've noticed using both boxes; TC input on the SB-T is 1/8" mini vs. lemo on the Lockit, and syncing the Lockit is marginally faster than the SB-T- just plug in and unplug, jammed.  The SB-T requires you plug in, wait for flashing lights to indicate sync, then unplug.  That being said, I like both boxes...but I like the Lockit a little more.

Travis Groves

As a one off purchase, either a Deneke or Ambient box will do fine but if you are buying a number of units for use with multiple cameras, then Lockit's and an ACC501 Master Controller make a very elegant, easy to use system. 

The advantage of the Ambient box is that it's an integral part of a family of timecode products that are fully compatible with the original Aaton standard ASCII timecode in addition to LTC code. The advantage of working with ASCII timecode is that it's a bi-directional protocol. With an ASCII Controller, such as the Ambient 501 or an Aaton Origin C you can interrogate the Lockit box and confirm that the timecode is set and there are no errors. Ambient has built on that standard by allowing the user to calibrate the crystal oscillator frequency of all the Ambient products (and Sound Devices recorders) with the Master Controller.

Practically, this means you can take the Controller to the camera to set the timecode in the morning and do after lunch checks. If the Lockits can be left setup on the cameras, there's less likelihood of damage to the TC and genlock cables which tend to be the single major source of faults.

As for reliability, I have been selling and renting Ambient timecode products for 12 years and to date have not had any electronic failures. There have been a few mechanical issues such as frayed BNC cables on 1990's vintage Lockits and recently a backup battery solder joint breaking in a timecode slate after months of vigorous clapping (smashing) by one particular AC. 

David Madigan

New Zealand