Black Magic 4k sound

I just did a 2 day tvc with the BM4k on a MUVI rig.I put a G2 reciever on it and it all sounded good enough to use to sync the SD664

files.....Then they powered up the Teradek bolt and it killed the G2.

So a timecode slate and clap it was....... double system all the way

• 4 weeks later...

I just did a 2 day tvc with the BM4k on a MUVI rig.I put a G2 reciever on it and it all sounded good enough to use to sync the SD664

files.....Then they powered up the Teradek bolt and it killed the G2. So a timecode slate and clap it was....... double system all the way

The Teradeks can be Tera-ble for wireless sound reception. I was able to use a Lectro SRa about a foot away from a Teradek on Block 21 and it worked fine, but if the AC moved it and it got too close, we definitely got hits from spurious RF garbage. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I want to send a guide track to a black magic 4k via a Zaxcom erx2.

I know that setting the audio level fixed max gain of +5db on the erx this is equivalent of mic level.

So if I select mic level in the black magic what percentage setting in the menu is equivalent to unity? 50%??

Does anyone have a setting they recommend for this setup?

Also I have heard that you can see metering on some monitors? What settings do you get to see these meters?

Thanks

Steven H

And no genlock input, as I recall. Interestingly, Blackmagic has provided all of this on their new "Ursa" prototype camera shown at NAB:

Blackmagic-URSA-4K-Bigger.jpg

The bad thing about it is that it has a giant 10" LCD viewscreen on the left side of the camera, and I'm not sure how useful this will be outside for camera operators. But at least from an audio point of view, it has conventional XLR connectors, can take line input, has very clear audio level meters, plus it has genlock and external timecode input capability. I also like the form factor, since it basically looks like a "traditional" camera. Still unknown is how good the pictures look and how stable the camera is.

One problem with a lot of these new cameras is that they're not very sensitive, which is making DPs crazy. Most of the new ones (like the BMC) are rated at 400 ISO, whereas the Alexa and Red Epics can do 800; the Canon C500 is right in between at about 640. I can tell you from experience that these cameras start to look real grungy at low light levels, but the Alexa holds up well.

• 2 weeks later...

And no genlock input, as I recall. Interestingly, Blackmagic has provided all of this on their new "Ursa" prototype camera shown at NAB:

One problem with a lot of these new cameras is that they're not very sensitive, which is making DPs crazy. Most of the new ones (like the BMC) are rated at 400 ISO, whereas the Alexa and Red Epics can do 800; the Canon C500 is right in between at about 640. I can tell you from experience that these cameras start to look real grungy at low light levels, but the Alexa holds up well.

The Ursa feels like the car that Homer Simpson designed to me. The marketing page on the BMD site reads like it was written by a 4-year old who'd eaten too much sugar (Grant Petty?).

The low sensitivity isn't a problem, it's just a tradeoff for the global shutter. DPs who are having trouble with it are ones who are attempting to use one camera for everything and don't have the skills to deal with limitations like lower sensitivity to light. It's usually the ones who think that cinematography is all about the camera rather than the skill of the person designing the shots and lighting.

In theory it's possible for BMD to get more dynamic range out of the sensor they're using (I think), but I wouldn't expect BMD to pull that off, since it's far more likely that they're dedicating their effort to designing more cameras and ignoring the existing ones, in spite of glaring flaws like not having meters.

We very rarely use single system audio on our productions, but we've also had good success syncing properly recorded audio with the scratch track with either Pluraleyes or directly in Premiere CC.