Keep it Simple, Stupid - Recording a band in Marfa with one microphone

josephduemig

post-3639-0-10339900-1393180484_thumb.jp

At the beginning of February, I went out to Marfa, TX with a two-piece band called The Wind and the Wave to record a series of acoustic videos to be released on their Youtube channel as they roll out the release of their new debut record on RCA Records.

I recorded the song in the above video in a very small vintage trailer with only one mic: a CMIT-5u positioned on a fishpole holder above the band, slightly closer to the girl than the guy (picture provided). She was quieter than he, and his Fender resonator guitar was significantly louder than her Martin. With this positioning of the mic, I was able to bring the Martin out in front a bit more, highlighting its brightness, while simultaneously naturally attenuating the resonator guitar and giving it a nice warmth (it was about 35 degrees off-axis, which on a CMIT doesn't color the sound too intensely). This mic placement also helped to bring out the girl's voice, which was pretty quiet, as the verse of this song reaches down into the low extremities of her vocal range.

There's something special to me about recording music with only one microphone. The performance happens the way it happens, and the recording is true to that and can't be altered or remixed effectively. The rawness that this approach produces lends a degree of authenticity to bands like The Wind and the Wave, who tend to spend too much time on their studio recordings polishing away all of the aspects of their music that give it life in my ears.

This was a super fun project and wanted to share it with all y'all fine folk here on JW. Enjoy!

To me it looks as if you are favoring her and not him which is the right thing to do if she is quieter than him and his playing. I'm at work on a football field listening to it on a lap top and it sounded good to me. I doubt I would have used CMIT. More likely a 41, but I wasn't there and you were. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

CrewC

To me it looks as if you are favoring her and not him which is the right thing to do if she is quieter than him and his playing. I'm at work on a football field listening to it on a lap top and it sounded good to me. I doubt I would have used CMIT. More likely a 41, but I wasn't there and you were. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

CrewC

Funny enough I just bought a CMC6-41 a week after I finished this gig!

My original plan was to use my Oktava MK012, which at the time was the only cardioid mic I had with me. But with the Oktava the resonator guitar drowned out her Martin almost completely, and the vocals didn't peak out as well over the guitars. A super/hyper like the 41 would've probably done the best job, but ya gotta use what you've got.

I would have moved the CMIT down closer to her and move it slightly to his side but angled back to her so he's more off-axis. 

I did a video a few weeks back where they told me what they wanted for a mix. Mainly they wanted Shuviel playing and singing with Josh adding harmony vocals and some subdued fills. Two Schoeps CMC641, because I had them up on a stereo bar. Both aimed pretty much straight down, but just out of frame. Closer than you have yours. We shot it here in my studio.

Your environment played a part here. Looks like you're in the back of a converted school bus; a large metal can. I'm sure the resonator was bouncing off of everything. I am a little surprised we can't hear her guitar much. He may have been over playing a bit, but unless you can direct someone not to play so hard (or someone else to play harder), there's not much you can do. Best would be to tell the players that if they can't hear the other people and or instruments properly, they need to adjust until there's a balance. 

Eric Toline said mic her from below to get more guitar, which is another possibility.

Ultimately, you need to be able to put headphones on, have them play the tune and move the mic to the right place. Then hit record and hope they don't get carried away or move much.

Regards,

Ty Ford

I would have moved the CMIT down closer to her and move it slightly to his side but angled back to her so he's more off-axis. 

I agree, that probably would've worked out a bit better for reigning in that resonator and bringing her guitar up some more. To be perfectly honest, though, she isn't much of a guitarist. The band dynamic is such that she's considered sort of a "lead singer who happens to play guitar" and he's more the "guitarist who sings backup vocals sometimes" - it's not as much an even split duo. I felt the touch of brightness her guitar added to the overall mix of the song was aesthetically pleasing and not wise to bring up to high in the mix, but admittedly it does sit pretty darn low in there. I could've stood at least a little bit more of her guitar.

If I'd have had my CMC6-41 back then I definitely would've used that. Would've had a better polar pattern for the situation and also would've been able to get closer, as the mic body is so much smaller. That being said, I'm still pretty happy with what I got.

Interesting result Joseph

A difficult subject to approach with one microphone due to achieving a balance between voices and guitars.

I agree Eric the woman sound a bit too far away although on mike (you can hear the acoustic of the space)

I would have been tempted to use a stereo mike or a pair of close cardioides the listen later to find what's best

Cheers

mike

Tough recording situation, particularly with those glass windows behind them. But the results aren't that bad. I agree with Eric that it might have sounded better with the mic down low, but I know we're often at the mercy of camera positions. I also agree with Ty that moving the mic even closer to the girl would've maybe dropped the level of the other guitar by 3-4dB, which would've helped... but it sounds OK.

Sounds ok and much better than most promos for bands these days.

Resonator man needs to learn to play with dynamics. Play softer on quieter parts, harder on the bigger parts. He was your recording's biggest enemy.

If you had the time/resources...4 close mics, one on each guit, one on each vocal would have got you more controllable results. But the job is what the job is and you got something decent.

jose: " There's something special to me about recording music with only one microphone. "

what ??

whose specifications were these all..?  they were, I believe, unrealistic expectations.  if this is really part of " a series of acoustic videos to be released on their Youtube channel as they roll out the release of their new debut record on RCA Records. " they may be shooting themselves in the feet... and POing RCA Records as well...

using the KISS system for this gig would have, IMO involved a couple of the usual live performance suspects, visible in the shot, placed where they ought to be;  based on the groups "band dynamic", an SM-58 for her vocal, and picking up her guitar, and an SM-57 for his guitar, also picking up his vocal, might have been my minimum...

Edited by studiomprd

• 3 weeks later...

Was limiting to one mic dictated by others or by arsenal? Wondering if you could have focused on she and her guitar with cmit (lower and angled with rezo to rear) and use the available oktava cardioid to add in on axis resonator guy. This type of music is typically pretty forward with vocals...just felt like I wanted her louder. Scenario reminds me a bit of the seemingly established use of one mic, typically AT4033, for many folk groups.

Just listened to this on headphones with my laptop.  I think overall its a pretty good effort.  The balance improves when she sings out and strums louder.  The vocal harmonies were pretty well balanced to my ear.  

Jay I also listened to your piece and I have to say it was beautiful!  Loved the song and the balance was right on.  Curious what reverb you used.  It was subtle but gave just enough life to the recording that it didn't sound like it was in a studio.

Mike I have to disagree with you on using visible sound reinforcement mics in the shot.  You could achieve a better balance of course but visually it would have been too intrusive for such a small space.  Also, those mics might have sounded too dry and close up for the visual.  If a mic were to be visible, a single interesting large diaphragm condenser such as Rich mentions would work if you could get the placement right.  As Ty said the key is putting your phones on and moving the mic around till you get the mic where it sounds best.  Personally I like the challenge of making it sound good without having to use multiple mics or seeing them in the shot.