Did anyone else just get this email from IATSE?

roundbadge

John, I do believe the money is safe and the members will still be protected in the workplace and I don't expect to see broad changes in the Local's structure but it's way too soon for anyone to be able to answer all of your very appropriate questions.  As bits of information do become available, this public forum is obviously the wrong place to share them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough Laurence. I just saw the latest from the IA President.

I forget that JW is not a place for inner union workings talk. It's time to have a discussion group for members on the 695 password part of the website, when the dust settles...

I think anything public enough for us to know is public enough to be on this forum. Perhaps Jeff can let us know if he disagrees.

I agree with Laurence.  This is an INTERNAL matter, for members of 695.  There are a bunch of non local members that don't necessarily need (or want) to hear our problems, dirt, whatever.  But we should have an information flow.  It is our RIGHT as members.  It is OUR local!  So stop the secrets.  Let's get something set up so we can discuss what needs to be known.  Maybe JW can help, setting up a separate 695 only thread.  Don't know how to do it myself.  Wish I did, would volunteer to do it.  This mess is mirrored after I joined 695 (a lot of years ago).  Course, I was a young'n then.  

As to meetings, I too was disillusioned with the small turn out, etc.  But I missed a crap load of meetings by working til dawn.  I just couldn't get up after working 14-18 hour days/nights (Fraturdays).  But now, no matter what, I will get there, stand up and say my piece when I got something to say.

No secrets.  Whether here or on the 695 website or wherever, we should be informed.  Nuff said.

erpi

Very Close to my experiences w/ said meetings.

I dont really feel a part of anything when I attend.

its basically pay your dues and shutup.

I'm not really motivated to go anymore either.

That might be precisely what leadership wants.

It is a union member's duty to show up, get informed, and fight if you need to.... 

take the floor and speak your mind.

You'll find many many like-minded AND in your corner.   

Seek out your comrades and make sure they are there to express.

Most importantly, find out when the agenda is being made for the meeting, and get your concerns on the meeting agenda.

Seems like 695 needs this now more than ever....

MF

Laurence: " this public forum is obviously the wrong place to share them. "

I'm going to agree with RPS: " anything public enough for us to know is public enough to be on this forum. "

truth is that"695.com" belongs to IATSE L695, and is under complete control: free speech / free press do not apply, anything on the site is there at the mercy (whim) of whoever is in charge of L695, which is effectively under marshal law.

Back in the days when you were a member of Local 695, Senator, I never heard you argue that membership meetings and Board meetings and the discussion of internal business should be open to the general public and published worldwide.  Why the sudden change of heart?  I personally believe that you are wrong but we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Having been through a disagreement with the international of a different union as an officer of a local (the NABET Local 15 "merger" with the IA back in 1990 & 1991) I would urge my Local 695 brothers and sisters to be cautious about airing the local's business in any public forum.

Best regards,

Jim (my card lists my initiation date into the IA as 6/13/1905) Gilchrist