new MOTU interface

Jeff Wexler

This new interface looks to have quite a few more features and function, unfortunately it is AC powered. Worth looking into. From MOTU site:

"The 896mk3 provides eight channels of pristine 24-bit 192 kHz analog recording and playback, combined with sixteen channels of optical digital I/O, stereo AES/EBU, S/PDIF and separate analog main outs. Expand your system by connecting the 8pre mic input expander or other MOTU audio interfaces."

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/896mk3/features.html

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815077819_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815077827_thumb.jpg

question for those of you using setups like this (I tried it for a while but needed mobility) are you using the mic pre's on MOTU and like products?

it looks like MSRP for this product is $1,295

On the cart, for movie jobs, no (using direct outs from mixer).  On music location recording and multitrack video shows, yes.  In general I've been very happy with the pres in the MOTU boxes I have--lots of headroom, neutral, clean.  The pres in the newer 8Pre I have sounds slightly better to me than those in my Travelers, so they seem to be steadily improving.  This new box is cool...but no 12VDC or bus-powering, and it looks  like it is a whole rack space taller.  MOTU stuff has been a tremendous bang for buck for location recording, but for studio recording under more pristine conditions I think I'd probably go upmarket.  (I have several friends doing very high level music work w/ MOTU boxes and outboard pres.)  One plus w/ MOTU (and its competitors from RME and MH) is that their software apps allow me to be able to solo inputs and make several different monitor mixes w/o bringing along a console.  The Traveler has good TC and ext.clock features as well.

Philip Perkins