633 vs MAXX- Yet again

judykarp

I am of the opinion, that  - The ability to "confidence monitor" any of our media during the recording process should be implemented on any our latest recorders.

I want to be able to actually hear it.  (Call me 'old-fashioned.')

If this feature of "confidence monitoring" were made available, as a software update in the 'latest' machine

(For me, personally -  SD's 633?) I would get off my pile of money and, go buy one on the spot.

Hi Jim,

Great point.  

Here's Matt Mayer's response from Sound Devices:

"With the 8 tracks (originally) and now up to 12, it was too difficult and complex to offer all the possible combinations of HP routings. The HP menu would have been waaay to long to be useful."

Well how about a compromise of simply a Left / Right Mix confidence monitoring option?

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about a recording test with the same microphones? maxx vs 633. same voice, same room, same radios?

If you don't do a double blind listening test, you will (literally) be kidding yourself. The human ear may be a marvelous instrument but it is wired to a brain that is full of trickery and bias.

IMHO, either of these excellent recorders has a hundred times less effect (seriously) on the sound than the voice, the room, the wireless and the microphone.

Take it from Old Lead Ears,

Larry F

If you don't do a double blind listening test, you will (literally) be kidding yourself. The human ear may be a marvelous instrument but it is wired to a brain that is full of trickery and bias.

IMHO, either of these excellent recorders has a hundred times less effect (seriously) on the sound than the voice, the room, the wireless and the microphone.

Take it from Old Lead Ears,

Larry F

That's a great note to close this thread on...

I have no doubt of this. Maybe I will make an effort myself to see how bad I can nuke it. The only way I could think of would be to wreck the card entirely.

I think the fear is always that it's physically lost. That's the ultimate "destruction". I was on a show where that happened to a 664 user, and he had only been running one card. It had nothing to do with the recorder or brand of SD card, but human error.