First experience with Zaxcom qrx200 wide band RX

RadoStefanov

Not exactly senator, just trying to get other long time and/or experienced Zaxcom users to make sure I am using the full potential of these machines for example:

I realized I was getting a rather filled up spectrum scans in contrast to my lectrosonics gear (that were not) at the same frequencies so I did a test of shutting down various gear in my bag to see if anything became apparent and indeed a few things did.

Picture with Take 678: All devices off with the exception of my Lectro SRB

Picture with Take 656: All devices are on including my Nomad, wifi 2.4ghz amplifier, my second QRX200, and lectro SRB

Picture with Take 651: All devices off with the exception of the second neighboring QRX200

Picture with Take 677: All devices off except non transmitting 2.4ghz amplifier

Picture with Take 657: All devices off

As you can roughly see each device "on" correlated to a higher scanning floor, with the Nomad/Zaxnet, and other QRX200 having the most effect. The neighboring QRX200 on having the second most profound effect, the lectro having the second to last tied with non functioning 2.4ghz amp, and devices all off providing the most realistic scan for the area I am currently in.

The Nomad itself without anything else on, by simply turning the Nomad on without zaxnet on correlates to another full level of pixels across the entire spectrum. I separated the Nomad from the QRX200 with a metal pan/plate and there was no effect. Will update shortly if anything else is found. If anyone is concerned about my Nomad, I just received it back from Zaxcom to fix any zaxnet issues, so I am fairly certain that a normal functioning Nomad 10 without zaxnet on would cause this.

Not quite sure how as of yet to combat this in my bag yet, at least now I know.

post-4091-0-59623700-1397422690_thumb.jp

post-4091-0-99353700-1397422699_thumb.jp

post-4091-0-30467200-1397422712_thumb.jp

post-4091-0-54012700-1397422723_thumb.jp

post-4091-0-04821300-1397424671_thumb.jp

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seams pretty nosy even when everything is off. Can you remote the antenna away from the bag and do another scan?

Yes, I hooked up my Rfvenue with my SMA to BNC cables and the resulting scan was ultimately clear with maybe a couple peaks and no bed of RF pixels. Two side by side scans at the same time one with whips and one with my RFvenue hooked up (no antenna distribution in between) picture attached.

Tim,

Is everything on a common power supply?

Very good question John, and assuming that may be an issue I powered the QRX200 from an external direct to NP cup battery and the results were the same with whips. All the above statements from my previous posting were using whips with no antenna distribution. With simply getting the antenna/using my RF venue away from the bag the scans were remarkably different and clear.

post-4091-0-82832500-1397431050_thumb.jp

Depending on where you are that is a fairly typical scan. The QRX200 is very sensitive and background noise will usually account for a pixel or two.

Glenn

Thank you Glenn, just trying to figure out how to minimize the RF coming from the Nomad 10 to interrupt my scans. When it powers on it adds a layer of pixels and when off takes it away, very clear issue. Do you guys have any options to contain the Nomad/my Nomad's RF? Any kind of material I can wrap my Nomad in to disable this issue?

Just did another walk test by simply connecting my RFVenue directly to my QRX200, no amplification, with 5 ft cables to get it far away from my bag, on a completely open frequency as my scans above show. Now obviously there should be a better reception, but the reception difference was remarkable I went as far as I could and got no hits...a bit further than my SRb with just whips. I was getting hits at 50ft with whips and just by getting the antennas outside of my bag using of course a better antenna I got over 500ft. Guess the moral of the story is getting those whips as far away from that bag as possible. If I find the right cables I'm going to try to get just the whips outside of the bag and see those abilities.

Just did another walk test by simply connecting my RFVenue directly to my QRX200, no amplification, with 5 ft cables to get it far away from my bag, on a completely open frequency as my scans above show. Now obviously there should be a better reception, but the reception difference was remarkable I went as far as I could and got no hits...a bit further than my SRb with just whips. I was getting hits at 50ft with whips and just by getting the antennas outside of my bag using of course a better antenna I got over 500ft. Guess the moral of the story is getting those whips as far away from that bag as possible. If I find the right cables I'm going to try to get just the whips outside of the bag and see those abilities.

This is how I work for ultimate performance. Sharkfin antennas on the mast or dipoles on the harness. 

has anyone who has a QRX200 been using it with silver transmitters? as well as the XR modulation?

yesterday, was having occasional dropouts with good signal on my TRX942 powering a CMIT, whilst my TRX900LANCs seemed fine (though i wasnt listening to them for the same amount of time as the boom, so its possible i was getting dropout on them, but it only happened when they were faded down).

and also took a call from a friend who is sound supervisor on a show with 12 zaxcoms, mostly TRX900LA and TRX900LANC, but a few silver TRX900 used as guest / spare mics. he has been noticing dropouts at full signal only on the silver transmitter as well, and when he is using his QRX200.

all transmitters in question are running 8.77 and the receivers are on 3.19.

i was using lectro SNA600 antennas into a micron rf distribution box that only allowy 600-630MHz through, my friend was on whip antennas.

we have a few things for the 12 radio mic to test, like tuning in to the silver transmitters on a QRX100, and then going back to 8.54 on the transmitter. 

and of course, i cannot replicate any of the dropouts i was getting yesterday.

but whilst i am waiting to hear back from zaxcom, i wanted to ask any QRX200 users if they have been using silver transmitters, and if they have noticed similar things.

thanks

Wandering Ear I've noticed from yours pics that you also have the white plastic overlay of your QRX100 cracked, it looks like it's something common. Mine has just 18months of use and also shows some crackings on the left side.

Hope Zaxcom has also improved the QRX200 in this aspect.

yes. was in dual mode.

didnt think to put it in single mode for this job. though when i first found the bug with the diversity switching, i did use my receivers in single mode - though they were qrx100's at the time - and had no drop out issues. on that job i was using the 742 for boom and LANC for occasional radios.

though towards the end of the film, 3.14 was released which i updated to and didnt experience the unexpected dropouts.

i did a bit of playing about this morning looking at the signal diagnostic page in the factory menu, and comparing the 942 to the 742, they both had similar signal strength, but the 742 had a much higher signal quality value. for this, i was checking my super cmit as well, so had the aes42 cone on the 742. both transmitter were set to the same frequency and placed next to each other and i would swap the mic between the 2 - obviously powering off the one not in use.

Wandering Ear I've noticed from yours pics that you also have the white plastic overlay of your QRX100 cracked, it looks like it's something common. Mine has just 18months of use and also shows some crackings on the left side.

Hope Zaxcom has also improved the QRX200 in this aspect.

Yeah, it's been cracked for a while. It bugged me at first cause it happened right after coming back from repair, but it is only cosmetic.

The face plate on the 200 seems to be the same.

So it turns dual mode in qrx200 and arx235 is next to worthless. There is bug that drops out audio even when reception is good.

In Single mode they are great and I am very happy with the performance.

I hope the dual mode bug is fixed soon because I was sold on the idea that dual mode and single mode have the same performance.

So it turns dual mode in qrx200 and arx235 is next worthless. There is bug that drops out audio even when reception is good.

In Single mode they are great and I am very happy with the performance.

I hope the dual mode bug is fixed soon because I was sold on the idea that dual mode and single mode have the same performance.

i hope this is a software fix rather than a hardware issue. though i would be surprised and disappointed if adding a mixplexer fixed this, as that will be an additional expense.