Frequency scanning SOP

Josh Bass

So, this may be a noobish question (though I am not a noob), but considering I have friends that use wireless systems and don't scan at all ever, maybe I'm ahead of the game.

So, when scanning in a new location, would you actually stand, with the receiver, at the spot where you plan to plant it, and scan THERE? Or where the transmitter will be? Or both? I realize RF may not always be that localized, but can it be?

Very simple example: you're going to shoot a presenter in a hotel ballroom. Do you scan where the receiver will actually sit (probably near the camera), or at the stage/lectern, both, etc.?

Thanks.

I scan it where the receiver is going to sit. If it's got to move for some reason, I punt and make an educated guess. 

I have definitely been in locations where one spot was perfect, and another spot 50 feet away had a brick of interference at that frequency. Crap happens. 

I always, always, always scan at the beginning of the day. I never take for granted that it's gonna work. And if I get a chance, I try to check again right after lunch just in case. I'm not a big fan of RF Surprises.

I generally use Freqfinder with the expansion to find the best frequencies for an area I'm headed to ahead of time and then I'll do a quick test at the location to make sure everything works when I'm there. The only time I'll do scans is if I'm using SRb's instead of 411's, I'm somewhere where I know there will be other systems in use, or I'm doing something super critical. Maybe I'm lucky but running properly coordinated block 20/21/25 radios in Boston/New England I've pretty much never run into RF issues. *

Scan where the receiver is since it is the receiver that is looking for your signal and needs to be as free from the clutter as can be. The transmitter is just a dumb transmitter outputting it's signal no matter what.

*knock on wood

Edited by Jared Detsikas

If on my "morning scan" I encounter possible issues, I'll connect the RF Explorer to my sharkfins and try to find out where the interfering signal comes from.

Often the possible issue turns out to be a non-issue or at least manageable by clever sharkfin positioning.

Josh,

In your application, where the receiver and transmitter will likely be in close proximity, you shouldn't have a lot of trouble.

A scan upon arrival is a good practice. You'll discover, however, that your "area" will frequently result in similar scans, meaning once you find something which works, it'll work most of the time.

At: RP--that must be the case, 'cause I have a client I rent from and work with a lot who has a 210 system (i.e. no scanner), and we never mess with the frequency it's set to, and work all over Houston and rarely have issues.

Does it take a it a long time for the UCR211 to scan or something? I'm used to the G2's scanner which takes a few seconds (and is on the other hand not very helpful), so not a big deal to do it at a location each time.

I scan every time I get to a new location.

I'm sorry somebody fill me in but I don't see the disadvantage of scanning at a new location.

No disadvantage. Just pointing out that in some markets, once you find something which works, you'll often find it always works. In that instance, if there's no RF on the screen, then there's neither an advantage nor a disadvantage in scanning.

That does happen! The localized interference is the main reason you have to do a scan... even if you have a frequency coordination program like FreqFinder. And that's a great smartphone app:

http://newendian.com/index.php?title=FreqFinder

There have been tons of past discussions here on how to solve RF problems on location. External antennas, moving the physical receiver closer, changing frequency, changing power, even changing blocks... tons of stuff. Lectro's free Wireless Guide is a fountain of information, no matter what transmitters and receivers you use, and much of the information still applies today (albeit there are now new blocks available and some old blocks that have been killed by the FCC):

http://www.lectrosonics.com/Downloads/wireless-guide.html

That's why Lectrosonics is great. A lot of times there can be shit there and it keeps on going like a tank. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do scans. If you have the time and you want to make sure you're on the cleanest channel then you should. There is no overarching protocol, every sound person has their own methods. I do a lot of reality where there is usually not time for me to do scans for every location you walk into and just start shooting, especially when I'm managing 8 talent radios, multiple camera hops and ifb channels, and multiple vid transmitters. I show up at location and do a walk test and if I get no drop outs with everything powered up within the range I need I'm happy. Also when you have a large system it's not as simple as do a scan and pick open frequencies, you then have to cross-reference those open frequencies with frequencies that all work together to prevent intermodulation issues so it often takes time that I don't have.