Stage hopping......

old school

Not so much Stage Hopping as revisiting a stage of my career.

I/we went on a very nice vacation over the 4th of July week to old Santa Fe NM. Great people, history, food, art, tequila.... This is a place I stayed for 6 months as I worked on what I knew at the time to be the last film I would work on in that chapter of my life. I had a great opportunity to transition into commercials, a very real alternative $$$ wise in the L A market back then. I was 35 w 2 boys under 5 that I needed to be with for my sanity. This was the one I was going out on.

No one could ever have had a better sound career than I did coming out of film school 10 years prior. John Cassavetes, Albert Brooks, Alan Rudolph, Colin Higgins, Hal Ashby, Taylor Hackford, Walter Hill, Adrian Lyne, Ivan Passer, Peter Bogdanovich,  John Huston, Paul Mazursky, Jason Reitmans dad, Mr Redford, and many more talented and/or hack directors along the way that I was privileged to help record their projects/films. It was a masters degree that no film school could offer. I loved most of it. As a result, every bit of time I spent working on "The Milagro Beanfield War" was a profound experience. I loved the David Ward script. Better than the book. Any one who has worked for/with Bob knows what a smart cat he is. Robbie Greenberg was the cameraman. Great guy. His crew, JT, John Toll, camera operator. Conrad Hall Jr, 1st AC, Jeff Cronenweth 1st or 2nd assistant on A or B camera. IMDB those folks someday. The cast was vast and surreal, just like the story we were making. The location was a major character and magic to work in. Food, culture, vibe... I love the place and my time there making the film.

I'm happy to report that Santa Fe is as cool as ever. Truches, (Trout in Spanish), where we filmed much of Milagro, shows no footprint that we were ever there, but the place is still the beautiful third world inbreed place we all fell in love with. I mostly look forward, but this look back was good. Glad I revisited this place from my past. Jim Webb mixed it, William, Bill, (Waco Bill) MacPherson was our 3rd. We did a good job IMO. Onward....

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was walking between locations on a company move today (about 5 city blocks), and walked right thru the set of Blue Bloods.  After getting my gear stowed at the next location, we had a lunch break, so I went back to the set and introduced myself to the sound mixer, T.J. O'Mara.  I chatted with him and his boom op/3rd Kim Maitland.  Very nice people.  We talked shop for a while and they filled me on some of what they were doing.  I asked him at one point how he was sending audio to camera (multiple Red's lying around) and he told me he wasn't!  That he insisted they post sync.  I said: good for you!

-Greg-

I was walking between locations on a company move today (about 5 city blocks), and walked right thru the set of Blue Bloods.  After getting my gear stowed at the next location, we had a lunch break, so I went back to the set and introduced myself to the sound mixer, T.J. O'Mara.  I chatted with him and his boom op/3rd Kim Maitland.  Very nice people.  We talked shop for a while and they filled me on some of what they were doing.  I asked him at one point how he was sending audio to camera (multiple Red's lying around) and he told me he wasn't!  That he insisted they post sync.  I said: good for you!

-Greg-

I know of MANY mixers and shows that no longer send ANY audio to the cameras....  They will open the camera mics and let it rip.... 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Today I pull into the old Daily News office complex in the Valley and another company is shooting at the same location we are. As I get out of my van Hanna Collins, a boom operator greets me. She and an old friend and ex boom op of mine who is a mixer these days, Dan Kent are on the other shoot in the same building we are. Really fun to catch up and talk about the old days with them. On a similar note my brother Moe was shooting on the same street as me last Saturday proving one thing, all of LA is a stage and you never know who you will run into. It always makes my day when I run into friends when I go to work.

CrewC

... proving one thing, all of LA is a stage ...

CrewC

"... And all the men and women merely players" mixers, boom operators, utility, video, wardrobe, p.a., camera... and we can only hope that this "stage" does not go dark so that we can continue to play close to home, close to our families and friends.

+1

Hey Crew, when i need a break from face to face with aluminium (aluminum as some of you say) i like to leaf through the pages of JW, looking for a good story.

You do it well...

Best,

Rob stalder

Thanks Rob. I don't see it that way but I'm glad you do. I enjoy contributing to the jwsoudgroup and I try not to over indulge in my postings. I'm interested in the stuff of life around our jobs and gear more then the tech aspects of our careers. Equipment is cool, but the people I meet and their lives are wonderful to learn about. Have a good weekend.

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting in Venice today and there are maybe 10,000 people in this city who work in the film biz so seeing a friend is not unheard of and I half expect it when we are anywhere on the west side. So a old timer named Wolf Seeberg walks up to pay a visit. Wolf is a mixer who has been around as long as I can remember. A good guy who you may know as wolfvid around this site. It turn out that our caterer is set up in front of his crib so Wolf will be joining us for lunch. Always fun to see friends.

CrewC

Back to Culver City Studios in 1980.... Tom Causey and his gang were doing a different picture there, Willie Burton and Marvin were on 'Rainbow'. Anyway, one thing about me that my friends know is that I am a Frisbee freak. I can still throw one 100 yards and make it go where I want it to. Between set ups I always threw one if I had the time. So Rainbow is lighting as are we. 100 little people in period costume milling about as my friend and I throw it 80 yards or so over their heads... I tell him to go long and really let one fly. He runs full speed trying to catch it and Wham Bam the disk hits a CHP cruiser entering the lot followed by 4 more units and then 2 black limos and then 6 or more CHP units and more motorcycles. WTF? We walked down the lot to a stage where the parade stopped. Out of one of the limos walks Ron Reagan. He was there to cut a commercial. He waves to all and ducks inside. Even though I was not a big fan of the man or his politics, I remember thinking, this is Hollywood.

CrewC

Wow Crew... Small world.. I was the sound mixer on those spots with Ronald Reagan shooting on the stages at Culver Studios.

I remember we all had to step outside while the Secret Service did a "Sweep" of the stage and all the equipment and seeing some of those little people in their munchkin wardrobe. We had to leave our equipment so the bomb sniffing dogs could make the rounds. Laurence Abrams was my boom man on those spots and I remember him sitting on top of a ladder with the pole extended for the longest time, then after a few takes on the long political speech he was getting tired and slipped a bit on the ladder causing the 415 to narrowly miss Reagan's head. Needless to say the security team was quite upset but we finished the spot without further incident.. Reagan was a real cutup on the set cracking jokes about how he always waited till he got on the set to comb his hair so people would know it wasn't a 'piece.

Hey Courtney, thank goodness that you were there. It was such a juxtaposition of elements at a strange point in time that as I wrote the post I remember thinking who will ever believe this. One other detail I remember is how happy he looked walking up the ramp and into the stage. I'm sure it felt like home to him. Vert cool that it was you and Laurence on the job. Good memories.

CrewC

Courtney, do you remember that moment when there was a big dolly crash in the middle of the take and the director... yelled cut but Reagan totally didn't notice what was going on and so he just kept reading off the prompter (old paper style, of couse) and the director walked over to Reagan and kind of said "Uh, we've cut, Governor" a couple of times until Reagon finally looked up at him, kind of like... Hey, I'm in the middle of a shot, why are you standing there? One thing about Reagan was, once you wind him up and put him in front of a prompter and say "Go," that's exactly what he'd do and he was very, very good at it.

I love all the lots, but one image that resurfaces any time I work at Warner Bros., is when I was between films, working on 2nd unit of "Goonies" for 7 week in 1984. Spielberg was ex producer and was directing our unit and Dick Donner was the films director and doing 1st unit. They must have had 5 huge stages going. They would ping pong the young cast back n forth to make the most of our days time. I would visit Willie Burton n Marvin on 1st unit and they were having a blast on this huge pirate ship on a massive stage with a lagoon and underground cavern set. We were with Steven who is or was a handful and not much fun, in all the tunnel sets with zero room. Not a party. One day as we broke for lunch and the big stage doors opened, the big lagoon set doors opened, as did the doors to the sets across the alley to "PeeWees Big Adventure" and we all poured out going to lunch or wherever. Federico Fellini couldn't of stage such a scene... A freak show parade and no one blinked. Just another day in Hwood.CrewC

This is awesome, what a great story I was only 10 when this film came out. That blue lagoon and pirate scene was pure magic on the big screen as a youngster.

M

• 2 weeks later...

More like set sharing today.... Day 3 of 3 out in the Valley and I see another mixer walk up on set. Is this my replacement? Have they found out about me? It turns out 2 commercials are being shot on the same set for 2 different companies. Scott Harber, a well known mixer and member here @jwsound is the other Y1. Not many days are like today but that is a good thing IMO.

CrewC

post-10-0-92936500-1329506007.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...