Helpful Civility

robertw

Thankfully not an issue for the majority of people here, but this came to mind today when I asked K-Tek's representative a simple question about a bag, of all things, and found myself the subject of one participant's persistent, bottomless condescension toward other people. And yes, I should have ignored him.

From a new site called dailynous.com:

post-9989-0-54606400-1394931448_thumb.jp

Reps and sales persons are there to promote and not listen.

How many designs have we used that were put together in a laboratory

and never tested in the field, I could put a list together.

Monitor speakers are easy to demo despite the alien acoustic of the demo

Boom microphones can only be tested in use as to talk 12 inches away from

any good microphone and they tend to sound similar.

I attended a DPA talk on their 5.1 microphone

No demo so whats the point?

I volunteered to record demo material and did so for 2 days

Very interesting, Dolby'd onto a DVD by the local rep, I have a copy!!

Hope DPA have a copy.

mike

Not sure what Mike West is referring to, I suspect it is to another topic.  

As to civility here, there, and everywhere, the above example is certainly ok and maybe even useful as it pertains to discussion groups. I think the biggest culprit in the exchange sited was the written word way we communicate here. Add to that the over posting by some just to post something. Add to that the feeling of being put down somehow by a post and we end up with anger/hurt feelings/whatever. It can be fun to engage in a flame war or two but at the end of the day you're only burning yourself. 

CrewC

Not related to the OP's particular situation, but rather the big communications picture.

If you need to drill far down into details, audio works best and all that back and forth in real time that comes with.

If you require asynchronous communication, record and send that.

As many of you know, I'm a big fan of the video conference.

G+ has a free way to do that. So does FB for that matter.

If your knickers even begin to get twisted, try a phone call or video conference and see if the whole thing doesn't turn around.

Not sure what Mike West is referring to, I suspect it is to another topic.  

As to civility here, there, and everywhere, the above example is certainly ok and maybe even useful as it pertains to discussion groups. I think the biggest culprit in the exchange sited was the written word way we communicate here. Add to that the over posting by some just to post something. Add to that the feeling of being put down somehow by a post and we end up with anger/hurt feelings/whatever. It can be fun to engage in a flame war or two but at the end of the day you're only burning yourself. 

CrewC

+1, well said Crew. I'll add that one should try not to take things personally if they're not in the same room with the person who is attacking them, on a forum or such.

... one participant's persistent, bottomless condescension toward other people.

These unfortunates have a name. They are called "list bullies". Seems just about every discussion forum has a few. Most fora seem to have a filter mechanism that lets you hide posts from individuals you find annoying. I don't know if the JWSound forum has such a filter as I haven't felt the need to go looking for one yet. Which is itself rather remarkable.

Bruce your right about the bullies.. seams like every forum has them..  I think Reddit has done an outstanding job for filtering out bullies. They have a system of reddit gold, and points.  People who 'donate' their time with patients, are rewarded.  People who don't, are voted out of obscurity, as far as the forum goes.

I agree about the civility. I also think that in our job you're in the wrong place if you can't handle a tough room. Same goes for a forum.

The other side of that civility medal is sensitivity. Some people can have too much of it and be quickly and needlessly offended by a simple and non-aggressive, albeit perhaps pointles post.

Thankfully not an issue for the majority of people here, but this came to mind today when I asked K-Tek's representative a simple question about a bag, of all things, and found myself the subject of one participant's persistent, bottomless condescension toward other people. And yes, I should have ignored him.

Wait....What? Did I do something?