Cantar Quick Reference Guide

David Waelder

I’ve posted a much abbreviated operating guide to the Cantar on my website. It’s available as a pdf download.

The file is available here:

http://www.productionrecording.com/Tools/CantarGuide.html

The file is set-up for regular stationary (8.5” x 11”). However, if you direct your printer to load paper from the manual feed slot and feed it an Avery label sheet, item 05444, the copy should all align to the labels. It will print on two of the 2x4 labels plus some copy on the blank space between the labels. (That blank area is also useable.)

The resulting labels fit nicely into the space on the backside of the meters and also on the space just above the optical media drive. This provides a handy reference source discreetly available. Some trimming of the label with the False Take and MetaDate edit information is required to fit it into the space available on the right but it can be accomplished.

Later, when printing to a metal foil, it would make sense to re-format so that the label on the backside of the meters is a continuous piece. For the time being, it makes sense to have it fit an available label size.

Obviously, when condensing a 49-page manual to a postage stamp, some ruthless editing is required. I had to work on the assumption that the user had some minimal familiarity with the recorder, from an orientation session or from the manual, and needed only a reference as a memory assist. I also needed to confine the information to the operations most likely to be needed by a new user or encountered infrequently by an experienced user. So, connecting to Tarcan and use of the Blue-Browse, Blue-Record functions had to go. (Maybe that’s another reference sheet.)

More than one road leads to Rome but, because space is so limited, I was able to show only one route for any operation. The slate mike can be routed to a variety of destinations; I indicated only the left channel and all armed channels. That much information should get an operator through the day successfully but users should always be aware that the guide is less than complete.

At this stage, I regard the guide as a first draft and I offer it to all of you for suggestions and corrections. Remember though, if you want to add anything, something else must come out. And, please do check me for accuracy and suitability of response.

David Waelder