Digital Sides via iPad and/or...

Jan McL

Have actually spent time trying to figure such an automation out since the recent spate of Zen highlighting.

May have to reconstitute the original PDF through OCR since some (5-10%) of the original formatting appears to be borked and would break automation process. Were Preview a heftier app and allowed things like changing the search highlighting color and more colors, I think Preview could handle at least getting character names properly colored in, which would speed the process a lot, as could any app. Am going to try that next highlighting go-round with extant NeoOffice.

How would it know the difference if somebody says the character's name? A general PDF app probably doesn't understand script formatting.

First two days in the field yielded some kind of conflict somewhere that repeatedly disabled the iPad's in-house keyboard, solved only by reboot.

My guess is it was flipping apps as between MovieSlate, ForScore and PDF Expert.

Doh! Time for two iPads: one for the script, one for MovieSlate/PDF Expert.

• 1 year later...

Here's the link to the FireFly bluetooth page turning device that worked a charm except for buggering the iPad's keyboard. Imagine enough time has passed that perhaps this has been resolved, but that glitch was enough for me to give up the quest at least for the nonce.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILVHBKC/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

Here's the link to the FireFly bluetooth page turning device that worked a charm except for buggering the iPad's keyboard. Imagine enough time has passed that perhaps this has been resolved, but that glitch was enough for me to give up the quest at least for the nonce.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILVHBKC/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

There is button between the pedals to bring up the iPad keyboard, but it is a bit cumbersome to reach down and press it.

It'd be better if the two pedals could be pressed simultaneously to bring up the keyboard

• 11 months later...
Has anyone found digital sides nirvana yet?

I recently bought a surface pro 4 tablet. It came with a pre installed program named "drawboard pdf". It lets you highlight text and take notes with the stylus. It's also very easy to change all parameters like colour and opacity. Also you can save your favourite pens to a quick access bar. If you're on Windows this is perfect. Quite expensive though if it's not pre installed. I use a Strich Music BT-FP2 pedal to turn pages.

On 2/1/2017 at 3:59 PM, astro said:

I recently bought a surface pro 4 tablet. It came with a pre installed program named "drawboard pdf". It lets you highlight text and take notes with the stylus. It's also very easy to change all parameters like colour and opacity. Also you can save your favourite pens to a quick access bar. If you're on Windows this is perfect. Quite expensive though if it's not pre installed. I use a Strich Music BT-FP2 pedal to turn pages.

Thanks, astro.

Where do you place the pedal? One of the biggest things that caused me to abandon this project was pedal on the snow-covered / rain-washed ground.

Learned from a FB post that a colleague of ours installed a temp-push button on his mixer near the faders integrated into a page turning device that made a lot of sense to me and could bring me back to this pursuit.

Thanks, astro. Where do you place the pedal? One of the biggest things that caused me to abandon this project was pedal on the snow-covered / rain-washed ground. Learned from a FB post that a colleague of ours installed a temp-push button on his mixer near the faders integrated into a page turning device that made a lot of sense to me and could bring me back to this pursuit.   

Hi Jan,

I place the pedal on the framing of my cart.

8e8785c2de1a873c65c0731d816cd220.jpg

The pedal is made of a base plate, the two pedals and the controller part. You can disassemble the three parts and only use the small controller. It offers two mini trs sockets to connect to any push buttons you like.

2615da6f7ca62ba84ec636de75bc0b83.jpg

97a933313b26747f5c3509f1783ee92e.jpg

Edit: just found this on eBay. It's the same device without the baseplate:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222078864914?_mwBanner=1

• 1 month later...

I use JavaScript actions in Adobe Acrobat to do an entire script at once. I create a separate action for each character, which highlights their name in a different color. I use GoodReader on the iPad to navigate the pages with, it's also easy to work with for modifying the annotations made in Acrobat, or adding new ones. 

• 2 months later...

Steven from Scriptation here.

We received several requests from sound mixers to add more functionality to our actor highlighting feature, and we've done just that! You can now automatically highlight actor lines and choose from 16 different highlight colors.

Check out a review of these new features in IATSE Local 695's quarterly Production Sound & Video!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

On 3/14/2017 at 5:19 PM, Sean McCormick said:

I use JavaScript actions in Adobe Acrobat to do an entire script at once. I create a separate action for each character, which highlights their name in a different color. I use GoodReader on the iPad to navigate the pages with, it's also easy to work with for modifying the annotations made in Acrobat, or adding new ones. 

Could you share your actions for Acrobat? This seems like an ideal workflow for me. I already use Acrobat for bookmarks and highlighting, but never delved into javascript.

7 hours ago, thunderfm said:

Could you share your actions for Acrobat? This seems like an ideal workflow for me. I already use Acrobat for bookmarks and highlighting, but never delved into javascript.

If you use an iPad, Scriptation does all this for you. You can automatically highlight character lines and select individual highlight colors by tapping a button, and you can bookmark pages as well.

Does that fit into your workflow?

ACHor1.png 

On 6/15/2017 at 6:42 AM, thunderfm said:

That does fit my workflow and it looks very good, but I generally begrudge spending money when my existing tools, with a little tweak of javascript, can do the same thing for free.

If it can do the exact same thing for free, go for it.

11 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

It's hard to imagine that $9.99 would bust the budget of any pro who might need this app.

:mellow: The app has a bunch of other useful features, too.