Quiet small film studio in manhattan

rafaeldelauz

I need a recommendation for one. I've been recording this historical Series for PBS and we are doing dozens of interviews. We have used like 5 different studios and they have been extremely noisy. The director is mad at production and ask me for help for a better stage. I live in DC, so I'm not that familiar with NYC studios. Any recommendations?

BTW, I know Manhattan is noisy, I'm talking about crazy loud studios where you can heard the high hills of women walking on the top floor. It has been so ridiculous that it becomes more than a sound problem, the interviewees can't totally focus.

Thanks in advance. 

Thanks for all the answer. 

I can't use a small sound studio, the DP use long lenses plus there is a big backdrop to be set up too.

Cory, it's funny you mentioned Bravo, that's one of the studios we used, and the management company decided to have a party on their offices (down the hall) from 11 am to 6pm, while we were recording. it was an insane day. As I said there it was a moment i didn't need to stop recording because the noise, the interviewees did it themselves, because it was impossible to miss. The director face was deep red of anger all day. But maybe I should give it a try, if there is no party of course.

I will scout Atlantic Tv and see how it goes. 

Thanks again

+1 for Atlantic

I have seen there several times. Its not huge but good enough for a talking head. It is fairly quiet - though you might hear a loud motorcycle or siren on occasion but WAY BETTER than any most places in NYC.  

They have a small amount of props and backgrounds available and some lighting gear if needed. 

how amazing... i thought the grass is greener... however seems like the same thing all over - what people call 'studio' is far from it... 

i'm not jeering, i am sad... 

The problem here, is that so many of these spaces are called "Sound Studios" or "Stages" but really they are Photo Studios at best.  The exception of course being the REAL stages like Silvercup, Steiner, etc...

Thanks for all the answer. 

I can't use a small sound studio, the DP use long lenses plus there is a big backdrop to be set up too.

Cory, it's funny you mentioned Bravo, that's one of the studios we used, and the management company decided to have a party on their offices (down the hall) from 11 am to 6pm, while we were recording. it was an insane day. As I said there it was a moment i didn't need to stop recording because the noise, the interviewees did it themselves, because it was impossible to miss. The director face was deep red of anger all day. But maybe I should give it a try, if there is no party of course.

I will scout Atlantic Tv and see how it goes. 

Thanks again

Ha! which location of Bravo's were you using? The one on 27th street is not the good one....