MIX12 Zaxnet Trim assignment

vale

I bought a Mix 12 a week ago and I'm experiencing a problem with the ZaxNet trim assignment.
My setup is:

Fusion 12;
2 QRX100 going into the Fusion via AES Inputs 5-8;
TRX LANC IDs are 13-16 (according to what Howy said about adding +8 to the digital inputs TX ID);
Mix 12 set 1-4 Analog, 1-8 Digital (so, my wireless were on 9-12 Channels).

Trying i.e. the first TX, I've selected Mix 12 Input Trim Tx ZaxNet in the Digital Input 5.
Even with this selection, I can see the Mix12 trim changing the channel input level, not the tx gain level.

So, I'm not being able to control Zaxnet trims for my digital inputs.

Any ideas is appreciated.

PS. I've already wrote to Howy and he's looking into the problem. Asking here too, bacause maybe someone here could have been in this situation and solved in some way.

Thanks, Vale.

Vale,

a couple things:

You didn't mention anything about an ifb100 or 200 to transmit control data to the TRX LANCs.  You need one of these in order for the system to work.  Now IF you had all your group codes set right, you should be able to manually control the TRX gain using an IFB100 or 200.  Have you tried that?

If you are using a mix-8 or 12 then your IDs for the TRXs will be limited to 1-8 or 1-12 (respectively).  There is no way (that I know of) to assign a different ID # - meaning, that trim pot 1 will only communicate with a TRX that is assigned as unit 1.  

You can use the faders on the Fusion as Zaxnet Trims as well, and here you at least have some flexibility as to what fader controls which ID, but it still wont go over the number 8.

"TRX LANC IDs are 13-16 (according to what Howy said about adding +8 to the digital inputs TX ID);" - I'm not sure what that's about or why you should try to make it work this way.

The way I've set it up, my TRX unit IDs go from 1 to 6 and I use the faders on the Fusion to control them.  I am not running digital into the fusion, but analog.

If I were you, I would have wired the Digital Ins to AES 1-4 and set the Mix-12 to control 1-8 analog/1-4 digital.  Much easier to route and assign IMO.  That said, you still should be able to get the system to work using AES 5-8 in, but I would recommend using the faders on the Fusion and setting your IDs to start at 1.

Hope this helps,

Greg

* just realized you could also use a QIFB...you'd still need to make a connection between the Fusion and the QRX (w QIFB) to make the faders or trim knobs work

Hi Greg, and thanks for the long reply.

First of all, I forgot to say that I'm using the IFB Option on one of my QRX to send ZaxNet commands to the TXs.

What I could tell you is that it seems that going digital is different than analog.

When I didn't yet have the Mix12, I tried to assign Fusion knobs to change my TXs gain but I was not being able to make them work.

So, I asked to Howy and he told me that I have to add +8 as TX number ID if going digital, so if it is Input 1 digital, TX ID has to be ID 9. And, in fact, this way everything worked properly and I was able to remote my TX gain with Fusion knobs or virtual faders.

With the Mix12, as I said, I'm not being able to assign the trims to control TX gain (inputtig them digitally).

The reason I wired them for AES digital inputs 5-8 (instead of 1-4) is that I wanted to have Inputs 1-4 free if I have to use them as additional Line Inputs 9-12 (via the hirose connector), and If I have them occupied by digital inputs I could not.

Anyway, untill I will not find a solution, I fortunately could still use the Fusion knobs (the still work) to change transmitters gain.

Just I would like to be able to do everything using Mix12 only.

Vale.

Vale,

a couple things:

You didn't mention anything about an ifb100 or 200 to transmit control data to the TRX LANCs.  You need one of these in order for the system to work.  Now IF you had all your group codes set right, you should be able to manually control the TRX gain using an IFB100 or 200.  Have you tried that?

If you are using a mix-8 or 12 then your IDs for the TRXs will be limited to 1-8 or 1-12 (respectively).  There is no way (that I know of) to assign a different ID # - meaning, that trim pot 1 will only communicate with a TRX that is assigned as unit 1.  

You can use the faders on the Fusion as Zaxnet Trims as well, and here you at least have some flexibility as to what fader controls which ID, but it still wont go over the number 8.

"TRX LANC IDs are 13-16 (according to what Howy said about adding +8 to the digital inputs TX ID);" - I'm not sure what that's about or why you should try to make it work this way.

The way I've set it up, my TRX unit IDs go from 1 to 6 and I use the faders on the Fusion to control them.  I am not running digital into the fusion, but analog.

If I were you, I would have wired the Digital Ins to AES 1-4 and set the Mix-12 to control 1-8 analog/1-4 digital.  Much easier to route and assign IMO.  That said, you still should be able to get the system to work using AES 5-8 in, but I would recommend using the faders on the Fusion and setting your IDs to start at 1.

Hope this helps,

Greg

* just realized you could also use a QIFB...you'd still need to make a connection between the Fusion and the QRX (w QIFB) to make the faders or trim knobs work

Vale,

all I can tell you in the unit ID #s HAVE to match.  and if your TRXs are starting at ID # 13 - you will NOT be able to control them from the mix 12.  

Also, personally I see a big advantage to having some extra gain control at the Fusion outside of the TRX gain, so accessing them via the knobs on the Fusion gives you that.

Hopefully Howy can find a solution, but I would not count on Zaxcom changing the code/doing an update for the Deva software.

Greg

Hi Greg,

you are saying:

Is that confirmed? No workaround possible?

I have a scene coming up where I need 9 TRX + 2x742. Wanted to use the virtual faders of my Fusion12 to control ID # 9-11. Thats the analog LineInputs labeled as digital Input 1-4. When I switched fader 9 (digital input 1 used as analog input 9) to Zaxnettrim it would erase the fader 1 Zaxnettrim setting.

Seems to confirm that Fusion 12 can only be used to control 8 TRX.

Matthias

Matthias, that's the reason I wired my wireless to AES inputs 5-8, to not overwrite line inputs 1-4.

Before of the Mix 12, assigning IDs 13-16 (corresponding to digital inputs 5-8 ) I was able to make Fusion knobs (or virtual faders) able to control zaxnet trims and they works.

as said, fader 9 overwrites fader 1 when both set to Zaxnettrim. So far no luck ...

It is helpful to remember that the Fusion does not know the difference between Line inputs 1-4 and AES inputs 5-9. Its all the same internally, the audio data is re-routed external to the processor as if you had plugged an A to D converter into AES inputs 5-9.

That being said it sounds like you are doing the right thing and I cant figure out why the gain commands are not being sent to the TRXs for those inputs.  If you cant get it to work you can send me your settings (INI files) and I can try them on my Deva.

-howy