New Recorder from SD, the "970"

Solid Goldberger

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/970/

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/970-audio-recorderplayer

Looks great!  I predict they are gonna sell a LOT of these, especially at that price point, though I hope in the future it is offered with a CF option, even if only at a limited track count.

e.

edit: looks like they already have that in mind... http://www.sounddevices.com/products/pixcaddycf/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/970/

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/970-audio-recorderplayer

Looks great!  I predict they are gonna sell a LOT of these, especially at that price point, though I hope in the future it is offered with a CF option, even if only at a limited track count.

e.

edit: looks like they already have that in mind... http://www.sounddevices.com/products/pixcaddycf/

Yes ... the 970 already supports CF card recording via the CF caddy.

why 64 and not 71?

64 is a magic number for lots of computer based engineering (2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2), so it figures. Just because it can do 64 tracks doesn't mean you have to use all 64 tracks. I can see many applications where 8, 10, 12, or maybe 16 tracks would be more than enough. I bet the cost difference between allowing 64 Dante tracks vs. 8 tracks was a few dollars at best, since it's pretty much mostly software.

Here's a closer view:

SD970front_zps540429b4.png

SD970back_zpsf8114193.png

This appears to me to just be a PIX designed solely for audio. What I'd like to know is how much cheaper it is than the PIX-based machines. On the surface, it looks to me like this could be an excellent cart-only sound recorder, particularly for those who need lots of channels and need to record to multiple drives (or cards) simultaneously. 

why 64 and not 71?

64 channels is the larger of the two standard channel counts for MADI. Many consoles used in the broadcast world would have one, or more, MADI streams going out to a recorder. This may be a little over-the-top for most on this board, but in my world (live concert recording/broadcast) this is extremely interesting. Seems way better than the JoeCo MADI or Dante 64 channel boxes, and about the same price. Way cheaper than ProToolsHD with a MADI i/o. I think it will be huge in the Reality production world too. It's ability to bridge the Dante and MADI worlds alone are an extra feature I need, and was about to spend about half it's purchase price on another product to do that. Time for a re-think...

Good to know all these details (as they are new to me!)...my comment was purely and purposely nonsense as to emulate the usual re-designing process that goes on this board!

But again thanks for the useful post (unlike mine!). And thanks sound devices for keeping up with new products for our community...although I don't see myself needing this machine anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the surface, it looks to me like this could be an excellent cart-only sound recorder, particularly for those who need lots of channels and need to record to multiple drives (or cards) simultaneously. 

I agree. The only thing I'll be curious to see is how track routing and metadata will be handled. I'm really fond of having an easily accessible pre-programmed "notes" field ala Deva. I also like the ability to dynamically route my inputs to tracks in the recorder. I suspect it will be nearly identical to the Pix series, but I haven't had a lot of hands on time with those machines.

I would have a pre order in now if they had de-coupled the inputs 1/2 from the DB25 inputs. Not that I foresee ever needing them, but I've always hoped for a recorder with 8 plus "Mix" analog ins.

I agree. The only thing I'll be curious to see is how track routing and metadata will be handled. I'm really fond of having an easily accessible pre-programmed "notes" field ala Deva. I also like the ability to dynamically route my inputs to tracks in the recorder. I suspect it will be nearly identical to the Pix series, but I haven't had a lot of hands on time with those machines.

I would have a pre order in now if they had de-coupled the inputs 1/2 from the DB25 inputs. Not that I foresee ever needing them, but I've always hoped for a recorder with 8 plus "Mix" analog ins.

Any of the line, AES, MADI or Dante inputs can be routed to any record track. You can edit scene/take/notes track names and more before, during or after recording and all edits are automatically rippled to all simultaneous drives on the fly (up to 4 drives). There are several BWF file name formats including, scene-take, reel+incrementing number, reel-scene-take, + more.

Two other important facts: the machine's list price is $4495, which I think is a bargain (more than $1000 cheaper than the PIX-260), and it weighs 1.5 pounds. That's pretty stunning. 

I'd be surprised if anybody could compete with a cart-based recorder that could do more for less money. Heck, compare this to the choices we had 7-8 years ago, and it's even more impressive. 

Awesome Reality Producer: "Weeeee, let's have all 64 cast members wired up!"

ahhh had to do that already back in 2004 on a German reality show with 3 Tascam MX2424s and 3 more for backup!!!

serious weight, cables, clocking issues, work flow nightmare...

now someone has to (finally) come up with a portable high track digital mixer (i would be happy with 16) which can run on 12V and things will look brighter for sure...

ahhh had to do that already back in 2004 on a German reality show with 3 Tascam MX2424s and 3 more for backup!!! serious weight, cables, clocking issues, work flow nightmare...

Doh, I remember the MX2424's, which I think were about $8000 ten years ago. Great remote control, but the support for metadata and all that stuff was nonexistent (as I recall). I can also remember people trying to use multiple DA88's or ADATs to do high track-count sessions... not fun. The DA88's were workhorses provided you didn't need more than 8 channels, but the later DVD-RAM machines were so much faster and cheaper to use. 

It's amazing to consider what an evolution we've seen in audio recording in only 15 years, going from DAT to the original Deva to everything that's followed. 

It's amazing to consider what an evolution we've seen in audio recording in only 15 years, going from DAT to the original Deva to everything that's followed. 

yes, big and fast changes for the better... :-)

found a couple of old photos of that MX2424 setup back in 2004.

thank god those days are over!

post-8064-0-17004500-1396510670_thumb.jp

post-8064-0-33987400-1396510674_thumb.jp