6 new Ambient products

TimoK

Ambient has manufactured a handle, for the slate, a slot on the upper stick for one's thumb, and new parts for the slate hinge that give it adjustable tension. All can be retrofit. I believe that these parts are on the way to dealers right now, to be retrofitted to existing slates.

But I'm just a customer. So I will leave any actual announcements to Ambient.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everybody,

as promised: You talk, we listen.

We manufactured a free of charge upgrade kit for the ACN-LS. The hardware mod will be done or organized by your local dealer. It is only a 5-10 minutes operation. All ACN-LS slates sold now, are of course already equipped with the upgrade.

The kits are either already at your local dealer or on their way.

Please watch the quick and dirty video to learn about the details:

http://vimeo.com/98522035

Thank you

Timo

The method for "one-handed" slating now implemented looks great! Providing a good handle and the "thumb-thingy" along with the adjustable tensioning of the sticks looks like it will do the trick. I look forward to seeing this in person soon. Thank you, Ambient, for listening to all the suggestions and then incorporating these things in a well designed and elegant way.

The method for "one-handed" slating now implemented looks great! Providing a good handle and the "thumb-thingy" along with the adjustable tensioning of the sticks looks like it will do the trick. I look forward to seeing this in person soon. Thank you, Ambient, for listening to all the suggestions and then incorporating these things in a well designed and elegant way.

+1 THANKS AMBIENT!!

Not to criticize, but: the numbers are breaking most of the time on the slate on the left, and they're hard to read at an angle on the slate on the right. People in post really need to be able to read the numbers 100% of the time. 

Hi Marc,

thanks for the feedback! That's something we haven't heard, yet and I'm not quite sure if I understood you right. Could you please send me some pictures to timo@ambient.de

If you are referring to the readability from wide angles I would answer this ;) :

LEDs are always extremly reflective, which makes them almost unreadable when used against direct light. To compensate that, the light emmiter stands 0.5mm back within the lens body to avoid angular incident light.

To further enhance the readability we added a CTO filter which absorbs a big part of the LED reflections.Furthermore we added a 1mm aluminum mask to increase the diode distance.

This drastically improves the visibility of the display even in brightest daylight situations by screening the LEDs from angular light. The downside is, that it also reduces the readability angle of the display.

If you need wider angles there are two immediate tricks to improve the readability from the side:

1. Attach a preferably white frost onto the display. This will work as a back projection display and provide you with a readability up to 80 degrees.

2. Unscrew the aluminum mask of the display, take out the CTO and the shim and screw it back on. The bright dailight performance will decrease but the readable angle will improve a lot.

Cheers

Timo

I love the above post by Timo. Reading that, it is so clear that very thorough, detailed and careful thought has gone into the development of this new slate. I always like the insight we get into how products are developed and fosters the all important respect and appreciation that all our usual suspects deserve.

I love the above post by Timo. Reading that, it is so clear that very thorough, detailed and careful thought has gone into the development of this new slate. I always like the insight we get into how products are developed and fosters the all important respect and appreciation that all our usual suspects deserve.

+1

http://wanderingear.net

What you might not know is that in Germany June lasts 3 months... :) (If we win the soccer worldcup even 4-5)

... As some of you saw during the NAB. the introduction of the Tonmeister app and the ACN-BT caused some buzz. We had some cool development meetings with Sound Devices and some other brands after NAB who approached us during the show because they wanted to be part of the system. Therefor, we received some very valuable input for future requests of the beetle. Being fortunate of that support we decided to redesign some parts of the board completely to be absolutely future proof and ensure a long product life.

Not having the ready ACN-BT of course also delayed the app. Anyway, we're making good progress and I hope for some more of your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering how acn-ml work with multi cameras, does each camera have to connect one acn-ml if we need to read the metadata from all the cameras? If so, how to set the 2.4g chanel? Or in that case, we would have to use multiple iOS devices for each camera?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm wondering how acn-ml work with multi cameras, does each camera have to connect one acn-ml if we need to read the metadata from all the cameras? If so, how to set the 2.4g chanel? Or in that case, we would have to use multiple iOS devices for each camera?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on what you want to do.

If you want to read out all metadata you would need an ACN-ML on all ALEXAs. If you only need rec start/stop flags from the 2nd and 3rd camera, as it is used in some productions already, a Tiny Lockit on these cameras would do.

All ACN devices are equipped with an internal memory which is big enough to store days of metadata without transmitting them. This way the data is never lost, even without any wireless connection. Anyway, the Master Lockit can be set to master or slave and either collect data from other ACN-MLs or transmit the collected data.

If set to slave they won't open a WiFi but transmit the data via ACN to be as bullit proof as possible. The WiFi from the master ACN-ML will only be used for the communication between the apps and to communicate the offline script metadata to the ACN-ML. Thus, we do not use the WiFi for any information which need to be realtime.

So, yes Pierre is right the one ACN-ML you choose to be master works as central hub for ACN and WiFi.,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...