6 new Ambient products

TimoK

whilst i am only guessing at how Ambient achieve their network, i am speculating that it as an ad-hoc wifi network. though not sure how much bandwidth that it takes up.

but bear in mind, if you are using wifi for data and need multiple transmitters in a small area, you can only use 3 channels without overlapping any of the bandwidth as it uses a fair amount of spectrum. 

zaxnet on the other hand is more like the UHF transmitters we are used to and uses much less bandwidth compared to wifi. but then the data it is transmitting is much less than you would need for wifi - zaxnet audio is 20Hz-12KHz, and then the data signal updated at 1KHz which i guess will include timecode and remote control / zaxnet info.

and as zaxnet is a proprietary system whos only similarity to wifi is that it uses a 2.4GHz range signal, it probably wont happen, possibly not due to a lack of willingness, but hardware involved or the scale of the task to have both systems running in the same unit and keeping the cost and size practical.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whilst i am only guessing at how Ambient achieve their network, i am speculating that it as an ad-hoc wifi network. though not sure how much bandwidth that it takes up.

but bear in mind, if you are using wifi for data and need multiple transmitters in a small area, you can only use 3 channels without overlapping any of the bandwidth as it uses a fair amount of spectrum. 

zaxnet on the other hand is more like the UHF transmitters we are used to and uses much less bandwidth compared to wifi. but then the data it is transmitting is much less than you would need for wifi - zaxnet audio is 20Hz-12KHz, and then the data signal updated at 1KHz which i guess will include timecode and remote control / zaxnet info.

and as zaxnet is a proprietary system whos only similarity to wifi is that it uses a 2.4GHz range signal, it probably wont happen, possibly not due to a lack of willingness, but hardware involved or the scale of the task to have both systems running in the same unit and keeping the cost and size practical.

The ACN is not WiFi but also a low profile proprietary network with a very small footprint allowing for better range and more reliability for metadata and commands. (Even in crowded 2.4Ghz areas like the NAB showfloor) The interaction with WiFi is very low. Additionally the ACN allows you to choose between 16 channels. This way you'll always find a slot to work with severall 2.4GHz systems. Be it WiFi, Bluetooth or Zaxnet. 

We are in good contact with Glenn and will sort out the possibilities we have with given hardware pretty soon.

Quick observation regarding new slate.

Will there be a small slate body? While it is great to be able to detach the TC display for doc work,it will still be useful to still be able to have an audible clap in some situations. I put my clockit slate in the front of my bag all the time- perfect size. Always clap when I can.

Thank you

John.

Hi Timo,

While the new ACN apps look great, I've been waiting for the basic Clockit app to gain the timecode note taking feature that your website suggested was going to be available. This being a simple way to take written notes logged to incoming LTC (audio) timecode coming in the iPad headset connector, which can subsequently be exported as text or a spreadsheet. Are you still planning to upgrade the Clockit app, or is there any way you could add the LTC audio reading capability from that into either of the new apps, as an alternate source of time stamping?

You may wonder why this would be required... I use a variety of different recording devices to capture long Concerts / Theatre shows. When using hardware devices only - such as JoeCo recorders, Sound Devices recorders, or recording audio onto the EVS systems in TV trucks, I'd like to capture 'marker' positions that can be imported into the ProTools session that this material is going to be posted in. These markers are usually at positions within the audio files, so the file-based metadata method these devices use isn't appropriate. If the Tonmeister or LockitSCRIPT app could do this and export the notes as text, I can use EdiMarker software to import them into the ProTools session.

nick

Hi Timo,

While the new ACN apps look great, I've been waiting for the basic Clockit app to gain the timecode note taking feature that your website suggested was going to be available. This being a simple way to take written notes logged to incoming LTC (audio) timecode coming in the iPad headset connector, which can subsequently be exported as text or a spreadsheet. Are you still planning to upgrade the Clockit app, or is there any way you could add the LTC audio reading capability from that into either of the new apps, as an alternate source of time stamping?

You may wonder why this would be required... I use a variety of different recording devices to capture long Concerts / Theatre shows. When using hardware devices only - such as JoeCo recorders, Sound Devices recorders, or recording audio onto the EVS systems in TV trucks, I'd like to capture 'marker' positions that can be imported into the ProTools session that this material is going to be posted in. These markers are usually at positions within the audio files, so the file-based metadata method these devices use isn't appropriate. If the Tonmeister or LockitSCRIPT app could do this and export the notes as text, I can use EdiMarker software to import them into the ProTools session.

nick

Hi nick the app already exists. We integrated our ltc reader module into the free of charge Adobe prelude live logger app.

An app exactly covering your needs.

Cheers

Timo

+1 for Meters also!! CL-WiFi might not be super accurate, but close enough to give you a general idea!

The fact that this runs Bluetooth is exciting. Remote Focus pull, Camera AC's using low cost HDMI wireless for their focus pulling stations.. The 2.4 band is getting very very crowded on most of the set's I work on..

Johngooch, what I'd do then would be chop a board right Under the TC display... couldn't be too hard to do 

It could even be chopped a little more on the sides  :)

Looking at the slate in front of me, it would not be easy to chop the sides of the board.  I'd like to see the a trimmed down clapper board option- more along the lines of the profile that the original lockit slates had.  Is this going to be available Timo?

The slate is very very cool.  Bright beyond description.  Very clear.  Lots of options for brightness and LED flash for times when the LEDs are too small to be read.  It slips in and out of the clapper board with little effort, 4 phillips head screws.  

The fact that this runs Bluetooth is exciting. Remote Focus pull, Camera AC's using low cost HDMI wireless for their focus pulling stations.. The 2.4 band is getting very very crowded on most of the set's I work on..

but Bluetooth uses the 2.4 band, as well, doesn't it?