BMD URSA - they finally got it.

black magic + single system? hell no!

I'm no advocate for single-system (unless it's an Alexa, but still), but like I said: willing to try. Which should read, "I will attempt my best to get the best sound possible, while I still run double-system, because I just don't trust any camera with sound".

I'm no advocate for single-system (unless it's an Alexa, but still), but like I said: willing to try. Which should read, "I will attempt my best to get the best sound possible, while I still run double-system, because I just don't trust any camera with sound".

that sounds much better. in my experience the black magics are the REDs of the DSLR world, with an equal amount of audio issues.

From the extensive description at http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/blackmagicursa

For audio, there are 2 professional XLR connections with 48v phantom power so you can use the audio industry’s best quality microphones.

The industry's best quality audio is not recorded by connecting best quality microphones directly to video cameras, right?

philp

The new AJA Cion camera is also very nice looking. This would be the second "$10,000 Alexa clone" unveiled at the show...

m_aja-cion.jpg

Real XLRs, real BNCs, real timecode in & out, no bullshit. It's a pleasure to see cameras like this built where you don't have to jump through hoops just to get sound & timecode in, and monitor images and sound out. And immediate editing on ProRes files -- no conversion, no debayering, no screwing around.

I don't think these cameras will necessarily be as good as the Alexa or the Amira, but for under $10,000, there definitely a market for a 4K camera with a full range of features and ease of use. 

Note that a Betacam standard-def camcorder with build quality this good sold for about $60,000-$70,000 back in the 1990s. 

Jose: " I just don't trust any camera with sound "

audio snob...

well what if the movie maker is willing to trust the camera with sound..?

(although the weakness is that sound people are not actually in charge of recording the sound on cameras, which is a bit of a different issue)

and it is still a lot more about the archer than about the arrows...

Rich R: " Of course..wouldn't surprise me if circuits are crap. "

another audio snob...

and it wouldn't surprise me if the audio circuits are ok, decent, and may even pretty good!

Jose: " I just don't trust any camera with sound "

audio snob...

LMAO! Never been called a snob before. There is an exception to my previous statement. I would trust an Alexa for single system sound. And you are right, if the person paying the bills ultimately wants sound recorded on camera (there are some logistical reasons why it makes sense), then I do try my best to provide for that, but my point is that most camera's don't do sound well. I do also agree that it is more about the archer and not the arrows, but some arrows are just damn crappy and won't go far.

I was commenting based on BM's pattern of delivering not quite ready products...especially regarding audio. That's not snobbery..it's being realistic.

There's lots and lots of grumbling about this on the Cinematographers Mailing List. The chief criticism of the Blackmagic cameras is that they aren't very sensitive; the DPs are citing real-world ASA's of like 400, which ain't too good considering Red and Alexa are at 800.

The AJA Cion is said to use the same chip, so the fear is that it'll also be a not-too-sensitive camera. On the other hand, for under $10K, it is what it is. I think both look like very well-designed cameras on the outside, and they've both overcome operational flaws still afflicting the Red Scarlet and Epic.

Perusing BMC forums, seems there is a vernacular growing out of some of the imaging issues..FPN (fixed pattern noise), "black hole sun" black dot in center of luminance blowout. Seems "potentially" addressable in some cams, likely not in others. Rumor has it audio metering is coming....

Just have to see if previous beta models have yielded a mature Ursa.

• 1 month later...

The company's track record since launching their first cinema camera would lead one to expect that it won't be fully production ready at release time. Even if it were, I still prefer dual system audio anyway, it's easier on the sound team and on the camera team, and syncing in post with the noisy scratch track has worked pretty well for us... but we also use a slate and it's pretty rare for us to forget to slate at least with a voice marker and a clap, so we aren't relying entirely on auto-syncing.

So the crappy audio on the BMD cameras hasn't been an issue for us, since we just avoid using it. :)