Zaxcom RX12

Solid Goldberger

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured a QRX200 on my cart and, at 15.06v it draws about 280ma.  This is with the QRX's side LEDs turned off.  A MicPlexor (version 1) draws about 50ma.

These numbers are pretty much in line with Zaxcom's published ratings.

Keep in mind that the draw may vary some depending upon voltage.  Typically, at a lower voltage, a device will draw a bit more current, but this depends upon the power supply design.  Also, on many devices, current draw will vary depending upon operating conditions.

Note that you need to measure the quiescent current with a QRX200 unplugged as it uses a soft switch, and when plugged in but turned off, will still draw about 20ma.

I just mod'd my unit. I found it very challenging fitting the RX12 into my petrol bag with the current Hirose power cable. I thought about getting a right angle hirose adapter but I believe I still would have had clearance issues. So, I went with SwitchCraft 761k (ground isolated connector) instead. It fits just fine now. =)

If you're considering this mod you will have to drill the chassis on the RX12( 25/64 drill bit) to fit the larger diameter SwitchCraft.

IMG_4067_zpsb759d5b9.jpg

IMG_4068_zps29b15a1e.jpg

IMG_4069_zpse0231a12.jpg

IMG_4070_zpsac8df385.jpg

IMG_4071_zps9776658d.jpg

Another thing to note is that since I didn't purchase all 6 receivers I was left with 3 slots that needed to be filled. I called Glenn about this and he suggested possibly cutting foam inserts to plug up the slots. If this is going to be the solution then it might be great packaging the RX12 with a pre-cut foam sheet, not only for shipping purposes, that will allow us to pull out the slot blanks we need.

What do you say Glenn, can you help a brotha out and send me 3 blanks? 

Why not right angle hirose plug?

1. I already had the SwitchCraft cables

2. The Hirose rt. angle is still longer when fully inserted

3. I had to leave out of state for this show so I didn't have time to wait for the Hirose to come in

4. I didn't feel like buying another bag, more cables, etc. to make a new piece of gear work with what I currently have. 

Just seems like a lot of work putting a different chassis mount connector in the recorder but if that worked for you, that's good. I'm sure that if you had had the time you could have found a low profile cable mount connector that would work (or your own "custom" connector made by modifying an existing connector).

Another thing to note is that since I didn't purchase all 6 receivers I was left with 3 slots that needed to be filled. I called Glenn about this and he suggested possibly cutting foam inserts to plug up the slots. If this is going to be the solution then it might be great packaging the RX12 with a pre-cut foam sheet, not only for shipping purposes, that will allow us to pull out the slot blanks we need.

What do you say Glenn, can you help a brotha out and send me 3 blanks? 

When I had the opportunity to see the RX12 in person, I noticed this thing too and wrote to Howy suggesting some sort of plastic caps or foam to protect the unused slot (since it appeared to me they are an open door to the internal boards). He said they were thinking something like that, but then I don't know how this thing went on.

When I had the opportunity to see the RX12 in person, I noticed this thing too and wrote to Howy suggesting some sort of plastic caps or foam to protect the unused slot (since it appeared to me they are an open door to the internal boards). He said they were thinking something like that, but then I don't know how this thing went on.

I agree. I feel very uneasy having the boards exposed to the elements. For now I'm going to use gaff tape to keep them covered. 

IMG_4073_zpsd29f1e35.jpg

IMG_4074_zpsab29637c.jpg

IMG_4076_zps428b1c16.jpg

Wow, that's definitely something that should be covered IMO. I'm really surprised that Zaxcom did not design some sort of empty lid or cover to place on the receiver slots when the QRX212 modules are not in.

I concur. A similar device to the 'hole-stoppers' for the Lectro Octopak seems like a good starting point. Not foam.