Colored Slate Stix

Philip Perkins

My first Denecke's were among the first batch of TC slates, and all of them had B/W stix.  Later, when having the reed switch on those early slates fixed Mike Denecke asked me if I would rather have colored stix.  He had no pretensions towards his colored stix being any sort of real color reference, I think he just thought they looked cool.  I do too.  Later, the camera-assistant-turned-shooter Peter Litomiski sold some very nice miniature clap slates for a few years that had colored stix as well (wish I still had it--stolen). 

Philip Perkins

Hi Philip,

You are exactly right. In fact we have never claimed the color sticks to be used as a color reference. We thought it looked cool and when asked, I always tell people that they are cosmetic. Actually, I don't recall anyone ever requesting this. I am sure that if this is a real issue we can look into an alternative.

Peter Litomiski made our sticks for quite a few year. His son Robert is making them for us now.

Best Regards,

Charlie

Hi. I bought my two Deneckes with colour sticks because of the neutral greay that is in it.

More than one cam assistant told me that grey band is a nice reference to have.

So I'd suggest, dear Charles (hola!) to make a black/grey/white version of the sticks (I'm serious!).

I'd replace it in both of mines.

Hi, Charlie. Good to see you here.

I talked to at least a dozen dailies colorists at Technicolor, and they screamed at me "dear god in heaven, please tell them to use only B&W slates!"

One of them slapped me, so I got the impression they were serious about this.

Talk to Derrick Billin at Technicolor/Hollywood, Paul Chapman at Fotokem/Burbank, or Kurt Smith or Art Tostado at Technicolor Labs/N. Hollywood. I'm positive they'll agree the B&W slate is better for post.

--Marc