Portabrace AO Organizer Bags: Modifications - Brainstorm Frenzy!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding a small point:  my "big" setup for location dialog is now an old AO4, with 664+CL6+lotsa other crap depending on the job--it's my "cart-substitute".  It is very useful to me to have the big interior re-configable for different gigs, rather than customed-down to a very specific setup and set of gear.  I always thought that was the strength of the AO series--that it WASN'T configed for a particular recorder that way (I have PB bags for other recorders that ARE recorder/etc -specific, and they work very well).  So I guess I encourage you to not get too drilled down to specific current gear with the new AOs--the gear changes, and my config of my gear changes all the time.  

One issue I've had with my old AO4, as with many bags, is access to the recorder media.  On the old 7XX bags with rear-mounted card slots the old PB design works very well, even if you do have to turn the package over to get at it.  The newer recorders mostly have side mounted card slots, with the 664s mounted up pretty high on the right side.  I ended up having to cut the side, incl the plastic frame of the bag to make an opening that allowed the 664 card-slot door to open.  It still works ok but isn't as access-friendly as it could be and the now the bag is less strong.    So….card access please?

thanks

philp

I am pretty sure the 633 sells well and there should be an AO Option.

I don't like your Mixer specific bags as they tend to fall over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I absolutely agree, I think the AO-1 and 1.5 work really well for people using the 633 with multiple wireless. But the idea of a solid, strong framed structured AO MINI Sized bag for mixers like the 633 and maxx is a project that I'm suggesting currently. 

Thanks!

This is a brilliant idea.

E.

This is something I'll definitely look into. I know that there is demand for a better rain cover system, so i'll be spending some time on this topic. I'm sure over the next few weeks I'll also start some threads about harness re-designs and also this rain cover. 

Adding a small point:  my "big" setup for location dialog is now an old AO4, with 664+CL6+lotsa other crap depending on the job--it's my "cart-substitute".  It is very useful to me to have the big interior re-configable for different gigs, rather than customed-down to a very specific setup and set of gear.  I always thought that was the strength of the AO series--that it WASN'T configed for a particular recorder that way (I have PB bags for other recorders that ARE recorder/etc -specific, and they work very well).  So I guess I encourage you to not get too drilled down to specific current gear with the new AOs--the gear changes, and my config of my gear changes all the time.  

One issue I've had with my old AO4, as with many bags, is access to the recorder media.  On the old 7XX bags with rear-mounted card slots the old PB design works very well, even if you do have to turn the package over to get at it.  The newer recorders mostly have side mounted card slots, with the 664s mounted up pretty high on the right side.  I ended up having to cut the side, incl the plastic frame of the bag to make an opening that allowed the 664 card-slot door to open.  It still works ok but isn't as access-friendly as it could be and the now the bag is less strong.    So….card access please?

thanks

philp

Hi Philip,

I agree that the AO strength is that it's a versatile organizer, as opposed to a bag for a specific model mixer. Let me reassure you that my goal by creating such bags as the AO-633 is simply to market the bag to a larger audience, informing them that its a great option for the 633. My aim for the AO-series in general is to provide users with a great deal more information about the bags dimensions and also the various mixer possibilities for each AO bag. Providing detailed measurement pictures on our website and others along with descriptive video will hopefully convey this message more clearly. 

Progress has definitely been made as currently on our new website all the AO series bags has its own page, dimensions and pictures. I will be adding more pictures with the different mixers in soon.

http://www.portabrace.com/products/audio/organizers

I'm currently working on openings on the back of all bags to allow easier access to memory cards and or batteries. other design changes will also be made to create a much more user friendly bag.

Thanks for your comment.

Adam 

Ok, here goes.... fresh off the line. Portabrace AO Series, 2014 prototype.

post-8267-0-89501600-1399566721_thumb.jp

This is the AO-1.5 Model. There are still a few small changes and adaptations that need to be made to the bag, but we're at the stage that allows me to show you what we have so far. 

1) Smaller front pocket, fully collapsible.

post-8267-0-68815900-1399566729_thumb.jp

2) Access to the back of the bag. (This hole will be larger on the final product)

post-8267-0-07828500-1399566736_thumb.jp

3) Three metal attachment points on each side of the bag, and also a colored interior. Two long solid dividers will also come as standard with each bag. 

post-8267-0-77365000-1399566742_thumb.jp

4) Fully removable sides. (These sides will be interchangeable with previous model AOs and we're also developing different side options for users who may want a slightly different setups)

post-8267-0-15358000-1399566752_thumb.jp

4) Removable elastic receiver slots.

post-8267-0-54368100-1399566766_thumb.jp

5) Transmitter - NP1 - BDS - Pockets. (Access into bag from bottom). The other side is the same, with an added Flask - Headphones - Boom rest pocket.

post-8267-0-91473300-1399566773_thumb.jp 

6) Fully removable double vinyl accessories pocket. (This will be longer)

post-8267-0-79177300-1399566778_thumb.jp

The bag handles have also been extended.

With 2 solid dividers inside, and no strap the bag weighs 3.5lb.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. Your input is greatly appreciated. 

Let the discussions begin!

Wow. Nice work. Iooking forward to seeing it with np1 cups and batteries placed in the side pockets. Do np1 loaded pockets stay tight to the bag? As in, no flop.

Also, I was always partial to mixer bay being in the front, receivers at the rear. More natural position for the hands, and more weight against the waist. Is there the possibility of an AO 1.5F?

Wow. Nice work. Iooking forward to seeing it with np1 cups and batteries placed in the side pockets. Do np1 loaded pockets stay tight to the bag? As in, no flop.

Also, I was always partial to mixer bay being in the front, receivers at the rear. More natural position for the hands, and more weight against the waist. Is there the possibility of an AO 1.5F?

I'll set the bag up and post some new pics of it in action as soon as I can. The NP1 pockets stay firm. There is minimal movement of any.

I also forgot to mention that I will be adding a strap device on each side to make sure the NP1 cant fall out. 

The sides of the bag are removable and also swap over, which turns them around. So, if you did want to put the mixer away from you, thats absolutely fine. 

Adam another suggestion to allow the user to add or subtract small compartments.  Would you consider using the Mod-U-Lox fasteners to add small pouches, much like the Petrol audio products?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

That's definitely something I will add to my list if ideas. If there is enough demand for a system like that, then we would be happy to provide it. 

Thanks

Since we have a direct line of communication to Portabrace here... can I share a suggestion and a tiny gripe?

At last year's NAB I spoke with a guy in the Portabrace booth about this... and his response was, "...every sound guy would have us make them a custom bag if they could..."

This was in response to... what I honestly think... is a fairly brilliant idea. I didn't present this arrogantly, but the rep left me looking like the RCA dog... "huh?"... (this is something EVERY traveling sound guy would love).

So... here's a completely revolutionary idea for a bag design.

When I'm flying... I hate having to completely disassemble my package into the bins at TSA. Do you know what would be really cool? A 3-part (or for smaller bags, 2-part) bag that zips together on the sides. Seeing the bag pictured above makes me think the guy I gave this suggestion to, later suggested something similar as his own idea.

Take a piece of paper and tri-fold it... that is what the bag should do. When this bag is open... it will be similar to a Road-Rags kit... i.e. 3 pockets (holding gear) that lay flat INSIDE THE DIMENSIONS OF A TSA BIN... with the internal cabling running between pockets. This way I get to keep my kit built and connected, and the TSA gets a clear image of everything laying flat through the x-ray and scanner. Then when I grab my bin on the other side I have just 2 zippers on each side of the bag and it's back to a nice complete "square" bag.

Even if you don't travel... the nice thing is unobstructed connections to each bit of kit inside this system. Rather then reaching through side-holes or down into the bag, you could unzip the sides, unfold the bag, then access everything easily... again... looking at the pic above I realize that can accomplish something similar... and again... I have to wonder since this is what I suggested to the rep at last year's NAB.

I'd have felt better if he said, "hey that's a good idea" instead of "well we can't make custom bags for every sound guy"...

Tri-Fold... EASY TSA... travel (or not) bag design... I don't know if that's a million-dollar idea, but after flying a bunch with gear I'll bet a lot of guys would love it... and if you wouldn't mind making a bag that really is revolutionary... that would be it.

BTW... I actually picked up one of the AO bags at the booth, using the display to explain what I'd do... but PB didn't have the 1.5 there, only the smaller bag... that wasn't you was it? :lol:

I'll set the bag up and post some new pics of it in action as soon as I can. The NP1 pockets stay firm. There is minimal movement of any.

I also forgot to mention that I will be adding a strap device on each side to make sure the NP1 cant fall out.

The sides of the bag are removable and also swap over, which turns them around. So, if you did want to put the mixer away from you, thats absolutely fine.

Wow again. Looked at the pictures again today. This is nice work. It's really getting there.

One thing I noticed, within the front pocket, can you ensure there are elastic strips sewn to the inside back And ideally the inside front of the pouch? I extensively make use of them on my current bag. I clip my transmitters to them along with a couple of pens or sharpies and lectro and comtec tweakers, not to mention my BDS is clipped in there too. Strips sewn to the inside front would be a nice new addition since we will be able to actually see what is placed in there.

hi adam,

here my comments: 

4 velcros to reduce size of front pocket do no look that nice - i would do only one bigger velcro on each side

front pocket still looks a bit too big (1/2 inch too deep) for me. And I would reduce height at the bottem a bit more as of the previous mentioned first touching ground if loaded.

I suspect the zipper at the sides not to be used daily to open card slot. On my older bags that zipper runs not easy (pretty much stress on them all the time) and I see these as modification option only. For the AO 1.5 one could lift the mixer for card access but for an AO 633 I suggest a velcro flap for the card door. And that smaller Version should also be of the height of the 1.5 for less bend of receiver antenna and the Option to put an NP-1 under the mixer. Could be it needs even a little more general height.

On the right side I would want one as big as possible zippered pocket / a flap for cards / exit for cable.

Color wise I hate orange and would go all black but I might be in the minority here as others like colored interior. But couldn't stay the logo black / white?

The cable tunnel on the left seems too long for me. I think half the length would be enough and result in better accesability.  

The removable double vinyl accessories pocket I would do only onesided vinyl. I do not like vinyl for its stiffness and would guess one side cordura is ligther. And I would close it by zipper and not velcro for silently searching for something while recording. 

3 metal rings on each side seems too much to me. I would go for 2 on each side for reducing weight.  

Mattin quoted: " "...every sound guy would have us make them a custom bag if they could..." "

yep, and still true, though most are not willing to pay for it...

and sorry, I'm not sold on your million$ idea...(which would probably increase the cost of each bag...)

" At last year's NAB I spoke with a guy in the Portabrace booth "

was he there this year ??  Adam was!!

Armin: " a bit too big (1/2 inch too deep) for me "

it is 1/4" too deep for me.

but: " Could be it needs even a little more general height. "

nope, 1/4" less

" Color wise... " Camo  --several choices, please...

" close it by zipper "

no zippers... they frequently fail.

" 3 metal rings on each side seems too much to me. I would go for 2 on each side for reducing weight.  "

compromise:  3 on one side, and two on the other...

Mattin quoted: " "...every sound guy would have us make them a custom bag if they could..." "

yep, and still true, though most are not willing to pay for it...

and sorry, I'm not sold on your million$ idea...(which would probably increase the cost of each bag...)

" At last year's NAB I spoke with a guy in the Portabrace booth "

was he there this year ??  Adam was!!

Armin: " a bit too big (1/2 inch too deep) for me "

it is 1/4" too deep for me.

but: " Could be it needs even a little more general height. "

nope, 1/4" less

" Color wise... " Camo  --several choices, please...

" close it by zipper "

no zippers... they frequently fail.

" 3 metal rings on each side seems too much to me. I would go for 2 on each side for reducing weight.  "

compromise:  3 on one side, and two on the other...

And your actual positive input would be?