Portabrace AO Organizer Bags: Modifications - Brainstorm Frenzy!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSA can most definitely not let you fly. If they feel you are being unruly or combative they can refuse to let you into the secure area - it is ultimately up to the discretion of the TSA agent and supervisor. Therefore You can't pass the checkpoint and therefore not fly.

Not pilot can over rule that.

JP: "  a pilot has final say for the plane they are responsible for. "

the Captain, actually, but TSA can keep you from getting into the gate area, and even remove one from the airport property.

edit: (ah, Jack posted while I was typing)

Edited by studiomprd

actually I would not show a AO 1.5 with an 633 / Maxx - it looks oversized for them to me. At least unless you have a smaller version for these - could lead to the impression there will be no compacter version.

And I would suggest to do fully rigged up pics with 4 wireless receiver & transmitter, hop or coiled cable, lavs, headphone, NP1... Like the pic of the vinyl pouch with the topstick / overcovers. Thats very good to give the idea behind. 

Thats whats missing on competitors websites...

AS: " Thats whats missing on competitors websites... "

I believe there may be reasons...

starting with the bag makers not actually having all the gear.

I have the impression Adam will be able to manage that.

Not or only half rigged up is no good marketing to me. I want to see how much I can get in there in a compact lightweight setup. I know pictures of lots of cables hanging around aren't that nice but the reality. It also gives an impression of professionalism.

Maybe a fully packed setup to totally unpack could be a nice video ;-) 

Mike you are right - that is a it depends. But a 5-8 Ch Recorder needs at least wireless Tx & RX, lavs, headphone, cables, and battery - right? ;-)

And fully loaded shows what the designer wanted it for. I still have some velcro strings on bags where I have no clue what they are meant for. 

I definitely don't want to argue about your lovely "it depends" - there are so many variables on top of the mentioned.

But you made me curious and I will check the "show me your bag" pictures once more. Its long ago I went there.

AS: " how much I can get in there in a compact lightweight setup. "

that is a definite: "it depends", and a personal challenge, as there are way too many potential options.

look at the hundreds of "show me your bag" pictures... see what I mean ?

I've always liked the 'show me your bag' picture collection. I would like to try making a link on the Portabrace page to a similar gallery of user pictures with the AO-1.5 and other clearly labeled Portabrace bags also. This will give the customers many options and would show more pictures and setups than I could ever put together.

The website images pictures will have to be somewhat cleaner and stripped down, showing the openings, access, fit and functions of the bags. These images though will display all of the bags functions and most importantly, the fit of the mixer.

I'll definitely be showing a 633 in the AO-1.5 though, as that is a great fit for the setup. One I personally use every day.

TSA can most definitely not let you fly. If they feel you are being unruly or combative they can refuse to let you into the secure area - it is ultimately up to the discretion of the TSA agent and supervisor. Therefore You can't pass the checkpoint and therefore not fly.

Not pilot can over rule that.

The TSA can keep you from ever seeing the pilot for sure.  The pilot can decide you and/or your gear don't fly (the head flight attendant as well) even if you've cleared the TSA, thus they have the final say.   I have seen this happen.

philp

post-8267-0-91473300-1399566773.jpg

for this side module without pockets on the cabletunnel you could also use an access solution to the XLR like on the CS-633 with softer material. I think access would be a lot easier. Or do you see an advantage I don't see? While may be not that rugged I also see an advantage of less dust and dirt coming in the sides.

cs633_large.jpg

BTW: I like your idea for longer rainvinyl. I use it on a rental Kortwich bag to hold a blimp on top of the mixer while shoulder-carrying. Or I put it all the way over the front pocket while working in heavy rain. 

That could get in the way though when holding normal with the handles. Therefore it would be cool if it was extendable (with your new vinyl pocket?) / double foldable with velcro in the middle or could be slipped in next to an handle. 

We've thought about doing pictures fully kitted out, but we'd have to rent the gear, and rental gear isn't picture perfect with no scratches or dings. In one of my videos I show the stingray with a 633 and 4 lectro 411 inside it. Lots of people do different set ups. You can see different stingray setups in the "show me your bag" thread. I do have pictures on our website of the stingray bag with a 633 and MAXX in it so you get a sense of scale as well. 

post-8267-0-91473300-1399566773.jpg

for this side module without pockets on the cabletunnel you could also use an access solution to the XLR like on the CS-633 with softer material. I think access would be a lot easier. Or do you see an advantage I don't see? While may be not that rugged I also see an advantage of less dust and dirt coming in the sides.

cs633_large.jpg

BTW: I like your idea for longer rainvinyl. I use it on a rental Kortwich bag to hold a blimp on top of the mixer while shoulder-carrying. Or I put it all the way over the front pocket while working in heavy rain. 

That could get in the way though when holding normal with the handles. Therefore it would be cool if it was extendable (with your new vinyl pocket?) / double foldable with velcro in the middle or could be slipped in next to an handle. 

Hi there, 

I'd say that the drawstring method is definitely a possibility. But, I've always thought that the access on those systems isn't brilliant. I'f its just a simple no clutter side your looking for, I'd probably lean towards a zippable opening, or an access flap. Both of which would protect against dust. 

We actually came out with a range of bags called the Flex. I'm pretty sure that they use that drawstring access.

After reading through the comments above, I took a few inches of the access opening in the picture above to increase the visibility inside the bag. 

Ok, so... 

There's been multiple back and forths and also field tests done on the bag. I've been out using it for the past few days, and I'm happy to say that I now have the final bag design on its way to me right now. 

Following the forum suggestions,

We've added some small pockets for accessories in the front pouch.

Made the handles and vinyl even longer for those long antennas.

There is a simple yet effective boom attachment point, which I have actually grown to really like.

The front pouch is still nice and small, with the ability to fully collapse flat.

The access points on the sides have been shortened to increase visibility.

The most significant change is that the rear access point is a lot larger, to allow even more access to batteries or media.

The access flap also has an NP1 sized pocket on the top too. 

There is a simple buckle and velcro strip to fasten down those escaping NP1 batteries. 

I'm currently trying to talk the powers that be to do some field tests with RF reducing fabrics. This wont be part of this AO release, but I hope to incorporate the technology into future products. 

Thank you everyone for your input and your comments! It's been a great help. I hope that you'll all rush out and buy one for yourselves and your friends! But I'll settle for you just telling your friends to check it out.

I'll be posting a link and also some images here of course as soon as i get the go ahead. 

Thanks again.

Please also keep those ideas coming. The modifications never stop!

We shall see. 

I really hope somebody comes out with a good nomad bag. 

At this time there is no such thing.

My modified Petrol 614 was close to perfect but does not fit all my wireless next to the recorder.

This is how my setup looks right now:

10389519_10204034392880028_4546713129053

I am very confident that Nomad users will be pleased with the modifications the the AO-bags. It's a great fit.

For the different side options adam I Love your idea of a simple flap (covered with a Pocket) over the cable Tunnels.

I Run only one cable Out each side Most of the Time. If its velcroed vertically in the middle i would Run that cable below the velcro Out.

Would make also Sense for the ao1 for 633 to Access card door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

from all the bags Orca look the most promising for a NOMAD bag! Small , light and tight.

Ktek design is nice but to heavy and big,

portabrace is lite but not very innovative.

This confirms the fact that not one sound mixer is the same.

The bells and whistles that these new bags are offering is actually something i would personally avoid. Strong, lightweight and famously durable, is exactly why over the years Portabrace has become my favorite. Simplicity of design for me is where it's at. 

That being said. The Modified AO-1.5 soon to be released does now offer 2 whistles and a bell. Definitely a step in the right direction.