633 Bags

jwill

The Orca bags will be out some time around June / July - they are doing some modifications based on feedback they got at NAB.

But currently K-Tek's Stingray is available, and Porta Brace has some options for the 633, and I believe Adam has posted on another thread that they are doing some redesigns / mods. And Petrol has a few bags that the 633 will fit into.

There are currently many new bag options - so check them out and choose what works for you.

Absolutely, thanks Jack. We released some pictures yesterday of the first AO redesign on JW and on Gothams website. The AO-1.5 is perfectly suited to the Nomad and also for your larger 633 setups. The whole line of audio AO organizers is going through a re-vamp process, so please keep your eyes out for updates. I'm also still looking for input and feedback on possible changes and features, so please feel free to comment on the thread below.

Also.... I would like to make an AO-MINI, which would be a smaller bag sized around the 633, with room for just 3 lectros 411s or SRBs. Nice and compact bag in a lower price range than the standard AO.

Thanks!

Absolutely, thanks Jack. We released some pictures yesterday of the first AO redesign on JW and on Gothams website. The AO-1.5 is perfectly suited to the Nomad and also for your larger 633 setups. The whole line of audio AO organizers is going through a re-vamp process, so please keep your eyes out for updates. I'm also still looking for input and feedback on possible changes and features, so please feel free to comment on the thread below.

Also.... I would like to make an AO-MINI, which would be a smaller bag sized around the 633, with room for just 3 lectros 411s or SRBs. Nice and compact bag in a lower price range than the standard AO.

Thanks!

Adam

I like the redesign alot.

Will the new mini work with the Maxx?

I use the Portabrace AO-1.5 or (AO-633) for my gear. Depending on whether you use the XL-B2 batteries with the 633 dictates which bag fits best. If you're NOT using the batteries on the underside of the bag and running an NP1 type system, then the AO-1 is a perfect fit. I simply use this bag because I run 6 wireless and pack the mixer in a hard case to travel. The strong bag is great for "throwing around". 

por2-11.jpg

Adam You say "I use the Portabrace AO-1.5 or (AO-633) for my gear. Depending on whether you use the XL-B2 batteries with the 633 dictates which bag fits best. If you're NOT using the batteries on the underside of the bag and running an NP1 type system, then the AO-1 is a perfect fit. I simply use this bag because I run 6 wireless and pack the mixer in a hard case to travel. The strong bag is great for "throwing around". 

But are you with Portabrace?If so, you know that the clips for the strap are ( in case of the 633) placed too far out(always have the clippoint next to the recorder!!),and no strap comes with the bag! ( It is not up to Portabrace to decide that the buyer will have a strap/brace already..Cheapo)And if you are 'Portabrace' ,why do you pretend to be a soundman carrying a 633 with 6 411's? David C

Adam You say "I use the Portabrace AO-1.5 or (AO-633) for my gear. Depending on whether you use the XL-B2 batteries with the 633 dictates which bag fits best. If you're NOT using the batteries on the underside of the bag and running an NP1 type system, then the AO-1 is a perfect fit. I simply use this bag because I run 6 wireless and pack the mixer in a hard case to travel. The strong bag is great for "throwing around". 

But are you with Portabrace?If so, you know that the clips for the strap are ( in case of the 633) placed too far out(always have the clippoint next to the recorder!!),and no strap comes with the bag! ( It is not up to Portabrace to decide that the buyer will have a strap/brace already..Cheapo)And if you are 'Portabrace' ,why do you pretend to be a soundman carrying a 633 with 6 411's? David C

In all fairness to Adam (whom I met at NAB), he was and is a sound mixer before Portabrace brought him on. From what he told me at NAB, I believe he still mixes. He's a super nice guy. 

Adam, correct me if I'm wrong (not about the nice guy thing, but about still mixing).  :)

bralleput: " It is not up to Portabrace to decide that the buyer will have a strap/brace already..Cheapo) "

I differ, and differ strongly...  it is not up to any company to decide that a buyer needs any particular strap (or belt, or harness), as there are many options, and the good ones are not cheap-o!

and what Jack said... after all, who better to be guiding product designs than experienced users..?

There are sever mixers here - myself included - who's work with or consult for manufacturers.

It reads a bit like " we at Portabrace suggest Portabrace ,because we at Portabrace all use Portabracebags"......Whatever.....do wat you want to do.Anyway as a Portabrace user for more than 25 years(and the last one being a 664 bag (with strap!!) that I really like!) and having received a strap with every bag I bought there, I think a basic one should be supplied.(the buyer can decide what'personal'rig he wants..At additional costs)

bralleput: " It is not up to Portabrace to decide that the buyer will have a strap/brace already..Cheapo) "

I differ, and differ strongly...  it is not up to any company to decide that a buyer needs any particular strap (or belt, or harness), as there are many options, and the good ones are not cheap-o!

and what Jack said... after all, who better to be guiding product designs than experienced users..?

And Arthur,the strapring.next to the recorder! I do not own a 633 ,but the current design makes the whole bag tilt toward the body...(saw it in action,and was a bit ashamed)

In all fairness to Adam (whom I met at NAB), he was and is a sound mixer before Portabrace brought him on. From what he told me at NAB, I believe he still mixes. He's a super nice guy. 

Adam, correct me if I'm wrong (not about the nice guy thing, but about still mixing).   :)

Hi Dave! Firstly, thank you for your comments. Much Appreciated. 

Also, yes is the answer to that question. I work professionally as an audio mixer and have done for years. I worked for Portabrace as a design consultant. Now, that job has developed into an audio representative position.

If so, you know that the clips for the strap are ( in case of the 633) placed too far out(always have the clippoint next to the recorder!!),and no strap comes with the bag! ( It is not up to Portabrace to decide that the buyer will have a strap/brace already..Cheapo)And if you are 'Portabrace' ,why do you pretend to be a soundman carrying a 633 with 6 411's? David C

I agree that the harness attachment point on the CS-633 needs to be moved to sit next to the mixer, I am currently working on this issue. 

All i can do is apologize that there is no strap included with this bag. 

Any recently updated equipment pictures are all pictures that I have taken, using my own personal equipment. The AO-1.5 setup that you are referring to in this thread is the exact setup that I am currently using on set. Sound Devices 633 with 6 x Lectrosonics 411a Receivers.

I hope this answers your questions. Please do feel free to email me directly if you would like to continue the conversation. I would be happy to consider all input on the audio products available at Portabrace. adam@portabrace.com

Now.... lets continue these valuable discussions to try and improve all products for all audio professionals. 

Thank you. 

Adam

I like the redesign alot.

Will the new mini work with the Maxx?

Hi Jack,

I haven't tested the new AO-1.5 with a Maxx. I would love to get my hands on one so that I can do exactly that! 

That being said, the height of the 1.5 is definitely suited for the maxx if the unit sat upon the right angle XLRs. Your only issue then would be the cables from the XLR encroaching into the receiver space. 

There is definitely room under the divider if you raised it up to allow the XLRs to exit the unit though. 

My goal once the bag has gone through some small changes and goes into production is to make some great setup pictures with the bag using the 788, 633, 552, Nomad, Maxx and any other mixer that would fit. Its just a matter of me getting my hands on all the gear. Which for the most part isn't an issue as its mine. I just dont own a Maxx. 

I always thought it would be a great recourse to have a "show me your bag" link on the Portabrace website with many examples of the different size bags and their setups. Thats just another thing to add to my seemingly endless to do list. 

I will get you those Maxx Pictures!!! 

Thnaks. 

I'm looking at the picture of the 633 in an Orca bag at the top of this thread... it doesn't appear that they could plug any XLR's into it? Where's the room on the sides?

I realize they will have other size bags but that picture looks misleading... Even with the right angle XLR's I don't think you have room for the ins and outs on both sides of the 633 with what I'm seeing there.

Other than that I really like the appearance of the Orca bags... But after looking into the Ktek Stingray bag... I'm sold. I ordered one.

BTW most of you probably know this by now but the Ktek also has the rigid skeleton... and I especially appreciate the trapezoidal shape. I've always been annoyed at how my petrol bag tries to roll forward when it's got wireless loaded up front.

this whole "where the rings go" issue is why we put mounting loops all around the Stingray. You can mount your included strap or your harness anywhere you want.

I just got a versa flex harness (from JW's sale forum) from Phil. Pairing that harness with the stingray bag shows the brilliance of the loops, which allows me to balance my bag.

The odds of anyone having their bag loaded, perfectly balanced from front to rear, are low... The loops allow you to move the top connection points forward or back to compensate. Very nice.

About the Stingray:

There are pictures here with a zipperd front pouch. i guess this is a preproduction one and not availible as k-tek homepage shows open front?

And the rain cover only covers main compartment and not front "pouch"?

The zippered front pouch was a prototype. The rain cover can go all the way to the rigid front if you need. 

I see no velcro on the pics to fix it. Is it hold by magnets?

And the zippered Version is not availible as special order? And how much is the weight without strap?

It velcros on the inside of the outer rigid part. A full rain cover is in the works. 

The version with the zipper pouch in the front was a prototype that none of the beta testers liked. They wanted it moved to the sides, so we did that. I'm not sure of the weight right now. I'm at home and I can weigh it when I get back into the office tomorrow. Some current Stingray users might be able to tell you how heavy it is. We are currently working on a harness that actually distributes the weight of a fully loaded bag from the shoulders down to the hips as well. 

I haven't purchased a dedicated bag for my 633 yet, but I put it in the 788Ts Petrol 614 bag. I think it's a fairly nice fit. Plenty if room for the 633, plus room on the sides for cables. I'd love another slightly smaller bag, but I like how light this setup is. I'm not a fan if the rigid box type bags for smaller setups. For the 788T they're fine, but for my purposes I'm looking for as light weight as possible.

In any case, thought I would share my experience.

Same as you JonG: but I might chop these bl**dy flaps on the sides soon: they are a pain when re-configuring the setups and for any given reason, the gigs I'm getting now all need quite different setups...

A question for those who've seen the Orca bags: do the side detachable pockets use the same clip system as Petrol ?

• 1 year later...
On 30 mai 2014 at 3:15 PM, Boomboom said:

A question for those who've seen the Orca bags: do the side detachable pockets use the same clip system as Petrol ?

Nope, not the same. Twisting clips instead, with a secure button you can also clip if you want. IMO way better than petrol clips.