SSD for SD744

Hi Malcom

I installed an 80gb Intel SSD using the Sound Devices PATA to SATA kit which had clear step by step instructions

I was simpler than I thought it would be. 

NB: Sound Devices based on some users experiences  warns against using an SSD drive with the 744t.

I have had no issues.

Al 

I looked into this recently and found:

- Sound Devices don't recommend it as they have encountered a few issues and unlike the 788 it wasn't specifically designed for SSD.

- There is no real speed advantage or otherwise.

- Much more expensive, particularly if you need the SATA adapter.

- Standard Drive has proven reliable with no issues, so no real reason to change.

Based on all that, I replaced mine with another standard drive which cost $40 and it's been going like a champion.

• 1 month later...

Hi Malcolm,

I upgraded to an SSD in my 744T a few years ago as i do a fair amount of work involving extensive travel and was taken in by thepotential additional robustness.

I used a Sandisk SSD using the XLSATA adapter but had some issues and changed to a Kingston SSD upon recomendation by SD support. Since then no problems and very glad i made the swap. Thread on the SD forum with more detail here :-

http://forums.sounddevices.com/forum/-7-series-digital-audio-recorders/general-hardware-and-operation/2883-744t-garbled-and-thin-audio-output-intermittent-fault

Mat Adams.

My 744 evidently has the original 40GB drive and I'd like to replace it soon, for longevity/reliability and increased capacity.  I wish to stick with the original PATA drives, and skip the SATA adapter etc, which I've heard can have issues.  If someone has a recommendation for a good replacement PATA drive (around 120GB or so) that has worked for you and may still be available, I'd love to hear it.  Thanks.

p.s. I *HAVE* read messages on the SD forum on this subject, in case *someone* suggests I go there...  That's where I learned about the non-benefits (other than possibility avoiding crashes by jarring or dropping the recorder) of going SSD.

• 2 years later...

I replaced the internal drive with a PATA to CF adapter. So now the internal 'drive' is the 64gb CF card. It works flawlessly and boots up in no time. Doing file transfers are still painfully slow but I usually grab the removable CF card for delivery anyways. I do think it runs a little cooler though. I don't think the CF cards generate as much heat as the SSD, but I'm probably wrong about that. It's been working great so far!

-ivan

• 6 months later...
On 4/15/2014 at 2:05 AM, Marc Wielage said:

SD also told me several years ago that there were almost zero heat or battery advantages with SSD, which surprised me very much. 

The one advantage I could see for going solid state is shock tolerance. I remember doing a doc in the field years ago with a lot of movement and my 744 locking up.

I've never run into that w/ my 744s, but you can always go with just the card if you think the drive won't keep up due to vibration or extreme movement.  Re: heat--there is a little article on SD's "In Action" page (https://www.sounddevices.com/in-action/philip-perkins)  about an oddball shoot I did with a 744 rolling inside what was essentially a solar oven, reaching at least 200 degrees F at times inside, for hours at a time.  The GoPros the cam dept were using in the box crapped out frequently when they got hot, but the 744 never hiccuped at all.  PATA spinning drive and CF card.