Uses for Pin 2 (5V supply) on three pin wireless Lemo connector

LarryF

I'm curious if anyone knows of a good (any) use for the 5 Volt pin on the various wireless transmitters that are using the 3 pin Lemo connector? This is called pin 2 by Shure and others and pin 1 by Sennheiser, but they are all the same pin. The audio input pin is pin 3 and is tied to 5 Volts through a bias resistor so a three wire mic tied to all 3 pins wouldn't have a voltage difference and wouldn't work. The various manufacturers imply the three pin input is for two wire mic systems only with pin 1 ground and pin 3 bias-audio.  One says talk to the mic maker if you have a three wire mic. 

So the burning question is "What is that 5 Volt supply on pin 2 for?" given that pin 3 is also biased at 5 Volts.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

Shall I quote the Senator and tell you to contact the manufacturer?

Mark O.

Oh, Lord. I deserved that.

I will say there is nothing on their websites about its use. If it keeps me awake tonight, I'll have to give in and contact our good friends at our arch competitors.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

This all makes me wonder why not wire pin 2 to a pull down (source) resistor from the get go and make life easier for the three wire mic manufacturers? It doesn't seem there is currently any good use for it as a 5 Volt supply though I'd feel better about the balance of the Universe if there were one.

Best Regards

Larry F

Lectro

Please don't start putting different connectors on lectro transmitters!!

The change from non servo to servo was traumatic enough!!

Hi Peter,

We thought about announcing our new TA6, 6 pin input connector with new functions on this April the 1st but figured someone would miss the joke and we'd be soaking our incoming mail in water barrels for the next 6 months.

Best,

LEF

Hi Peter,

We thought about announcing our new TA6, 6 pin input connector with new functions on this April the 1st but figured someone would miss the joke and we'd be soaking our incoming mail in water barrels for the next 6 months.

Best,

LEF

+1 that would have been funny maybe next April 1 a press release with whole product line changing to TA6 

Why wireless manufacturers don't standardize on one type of connector is beyond understanding. I vote for a TA5, more pins than will ever be needed and all the lav mics would have the same connectors. 3 pin XLR's are the basic in/out standard for all mixers. K.I.S.S. Get a clue guys.

Eric

Hi Eric,

If we had it to do over again, with modern Fet switches and switching power supplies, I'd probably choose a TA3 as the connector and do all the voltage choosing and line level selection in software. The other choice would be a 3 pin Neutrik connector that is tiny and with the usual Neutrik well thought out usability.

I am serious as can be in my previous post about having to check for letter bombs.

Best,
Larry F
Lectro

Why wireless manufacturers don't standardize on one type of connector is beyond understanding. I vote for a TA5, more pins than will ever be needed and all the lav mics would have the same connectors. 3 pin XLR's are the basic in/out standard for all mixers. K.I.S.S. Get a clue guys.

Eric

+1

+1

I would be down with re terminating/ replacing all of mine but only if all the manufactures signed on and did it as an industry standards thing.  I am big on uniform connectors, and am a big believer that in other ways it is one of the major "perk factors" differentiating pro kit from that carried by others.

Well if were seriously considering this, let's include the waterproof lineup in the discussion. Shouldn't all setups have some water resistance anyways? With all the sweaty actors we deal with, I feel this is necessary. That being said, what's a better option than the screw-lock gasket equipped 2.5mm connector that Lectro currently uses with its MM / WM line?

I would be down with re terminating/ replacing all of mine but only if all the manufactures signed on and did it as an industry standards thing.  I am big on uniform connectors, and am a big believer that in other ways it is one of the major "perk factors" differentiating pro kit from that carried by others.

It is not going to happen unless everybody converts to 3 pin lectro. TA4f is the other majority but I dont see sennheiser making their wireless larger .