A conversation

soundtrane

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...But it's going to Sundance.

"And don't worry, we'll pay you your full rate on the next gig!"

To which I say, "how about you pay me the full rate now, and the next one I'll give you a discount." That generally stops them cold.

To paraphrase a Woody Allen line: The pay may be low, but at least the craft services is bad.

And such small portions!

To which I say, "how about you pay me the full rate now, and the next one I'll give you a discount." That generally stops them cold.

I remember Charles Tomaras once said this pertaining to discounting our rates, and it stuck with me (though I'm only paraphrasing here): "You have to buy airline tickets at full price, THEN you get frequent flyer miles"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VIN!!

So to sum up...

Young guy wants to go to India, and is happy to do it in exchange for airfare plus accommodation plus meals plus $11/hour.

Then, having had what he thought was a private discussion with a member of this forum, it turns out that he was surreptitiously recorded (if the discussion was oral) or has had his text messages made public (if the discussion was via text). In either case, Vin has chosen unilaterally to publish the young man's comments, except that they cannot possibly be accurately reported if the man is, as suggested, a native English speaker, and the result is that the young man is being characterized here as "unethical", "stupid" and "a prick".

Robertw - the English is good enough out there. The person's identity has not been revealed. And 27 is young? 

First of all, there's a big issue about your own behavior in this.

Secondly, no native speaker of English talks the way that you have recorded this conversation, which raises the question of whether you effectively made the whole thing up.

Thirdly, as a matter of English, referring to a 27 year old, especially if one is older, as "a young man" is completely normal. Sorry, but the fact that you would ask about that mostly feeds back into the issue about the bizarre, improbable English that you attribute to the person with whom you were allegedly communicating.

Thank you Robertw, i have been called many things before, and this could be one of them. Just that i forget what i am called. Heh. 

I certainly dont have time on my hands to create such a conversation, and I DEFINITELY dont have time to write anything more to you. 

So here you go:

PLONK... 

-vin

post-145-0-08600200-1398333143_thumb.jpg

Happy Birthday Vin !

Please let me know the next time you're in town, I'd love to meet you in person.  And thanks for all of your informative postings over the years which have contributed so much to the free flow of information within our sound community here.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

robertw: " there's a big issue about your own behavior in this. "

I agree,  I can't understand why Vin even corresponded with this jerk for as long as he did !

there is no question here about our very good friend Vin's character, robertw,  however your standing remains in doubt...

<I agree,  I can't understand why Vin even corresponded with this jerk for as long as he did !

>

I agree too Senator!

Maybe I should ignore them and go chill out doing something nice. But -I WAS- doing something nice when this started - i was having a tall cool vodka, pottering over my birthday purchases (a Curie-point soldering station, a powered de-soldering gun, lots of components - MFRs, caps, SMD solder paste, plastic project boxes, a DC dual bench power supply and more...). Heh!

BUT - someone's got to do it, it's a dirty job. 

-vin

You did that guy a big favor my making him understand that what he was embarking on was an adventure, a quest of a sort, but not a vacation by any definition of that word I know of and not a real job either.  Maybe he'll learn a lot from it and become committed to the craft.  Maybe he'll crash and burn the first week on the set and you'll get a desperate call from the producers once they hear their first dailies.  In any case, many people will be getting a crash course in what production sound is and is not, and with any luck the whole affair and the project involved will dissappear without a trace.  I hope this exchange didn't spoil your birthday, really.

philp

Thank you Philip, you who i envy the most for all those absolutely great music that you get to record! :))

If i got that call from this production, be rest assured i would not budge until i know the boy got his dues all paid up till date and THEN if they could match my rates. maybe ONLY then. But then i know - as you say - they are all in for some fun (some of it in post!) Heh... 

<I agree,  I can't understand why Vin even corresponded with this jerk for as long as he did !

>

"...I WAS- doing something nice when this started - i was having a tall cool vodka...Heh!

BUT - someone's got to do it, it's a dirty job. 

-vin

Well that pretty much explains it.

And no, it isn't a necessary "job" to trash someone in public (named or not, and quite possibly a member of this forum), especially if what you report about what he or she said makes it abundantly clear that you have (at best) paraphrased everything.

It's pretty obvious that others will disagree, but as far as I am concerned the whole post is petty, and obviously not an accurate report of the discussion, and also pretty obviously fueled by birthday vodka.

You did that guy a big favor my making him understand that what he was embarking on was an adventure, a quest of a sort, but not a vacation by any definition of that word I know of and not a real job either. ...

It seems obvious that the person who is being trashed in this thread understood that perfectly well from the outset, and that the whole point of Vin's post, and subsequent posts, is that such an adventure or quest should be slammed, and the person involved characterized as "unethical", "stupid" and "a prick", unless he or she is working at rates that members of this forum approve of.

So I guess the next installment is an attack - unethical stupid prick - on someone who decides to work as a sound recordist in Bolivia, or Pitcairn Island, or Sumatra, at a rate, plus transportation, accommodation and meals, that somebody on this forum decides is inadequate.