A conversation

soundtrane

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems obvious that the person who is being trashed in this thread understood that perfectly well from the outset, and that the whole point of Vin's post, and subsequent posts, is that such an adventure or quest should be slammed, and the person involved characterized as "unethical", "stupid" and "a prick", unless he or she is working at rates that members of this forum approve of.

So I guess the next installment is an attack - unethical stupid prick - on someone who decides to work as a sound recordist in Bolivia, or Pitcairn Island, or Sumatra, at a rate, plus transportation, accommodation and meals, that somebody on this forum decides is inadequate.

Easy, cowboy.  I think this young person embarking on an audio quest or whatever is just fine.  I think you would find that many of the people on this forum did exactly that when they started out.  Are you the person Vin was corresponding with?  If not, why not just take it all as read?  The person Vin spoke with kept the conversation going for a good long while, perhaps because they were angry, but also possibly because they were learning something about the field they were entering by talking to someone with a lot of experience doing sound in that locale.  If the guy does his audio-quest and then decides to stay in the business he'll already have some valuable info (from Vin) about how you get along with other sound people, esp re rates and reputation.  I take it you understand the attitude of most professionals towards a pro who consistently undercuts everyone else's rate, right?  That's a good thing to understand if one wants any referrals...

philp

• 1 month later...