mic suggestions

joecrabb

Hi all,

So I'm looking for suggestions for a specific use microphone. A client is looking to set a permanent installation outdoors to record a rocket launch. What I'm asking for suggestions about is an extremely rugged mic (weather issues) that can handle super high SPL's and still get a good signal with up to 1000' cable runs. I'm not sure yet if building a small shelter over the mic(s) is an option or not to help with the weather. 

Current thoughts are a mix of Shure sm58's and sm27's at various distances from the launch area.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Joe

EV 535a or RE-50

EV RE20 Senn MD421

or any of many others, depending on the objectives...

are you serious ??

this does not sound like a production sound recording situation, and you may not be familiar with the appropriate tools for this kind of project, which might be specialized. in general: Dynamic mic's are more rugged, and large diaphragm dynamics are typically capable of higher SPL's;  Neodymium dynamic's have a bit more output signal (for long runs), and depending on the purpose of this setup, directional mic's may, or may not be appropriate.

Edited by studiomprd

Senator:

Yes I'm serious.  Absolutely I agree that this is a specialized situation requiring a specialized mic. That's why I asked for suggestions. I realize that dynamics are best for high SPL's (thus the 58's), I just want to know if there's anyone out there who has worked with something that I don't know about that's ideally suited for this purpose. In other words...exactly the reason that this forum exists.

Eric:

Yeah, the 1000' run has me worried also, I've never tried anything approaching that distance that wasn't a line level signal. 

JC: " I realize that...That's why I asked for suggestions. "

then you really need to supply more information, more specifics...

" requiring a specialized mic. " or mic's ??

to get the right answers, you need to ask the right questions...

" exactly the reason that this forum exists. "

not necessarily... as this is a production sound for movies, TV, video forum, not an acoustical engineering forum...

Edited by studiomprd

If the cable run length is a problem you could insert a line amp (battery powered) just after the microphone.  We do this all the time in sports arenas when we need a cleaner signal over a long run.  As already noted, dynamic mics would be a good choice for this.  Looking into mics that are typically used on drums in general and on bass drum in particular might give you specs that could deal with the low frequencies and volume encountered at a rocket launch.  I would think you would need to provide some shelter from the weather for any product I can think of.  Talk to the manufacturers directly as well to see what they think.

BB: " insert a line amp (battery powered) just after the microphone. "

there is way too much 'it depends' here...

battery units in a permanent installation ??

the right mic's actually may produce fairly robust line level (almost) signals, (but that, of course depends!)

this application may require specialized and or instrumentation grade products...

http://www.mouser.com/new/Analog-Devices/adi-admp411-microphone/

Edited by studiomprd

Still the DPA is supposed to be able to handle 150dBspl - iirc. That's a lot for any mic. It's not particularly robust, though.

Another option would be digital mics, as they allow for longer cable runs, but you'd need high quality cables. They also have the limiter built right into the mic.