New Red Epic Fans

Just curious to know if anyone on the forum has experience with the Red Epic 2.0 fans. Are they a big improvement over the original fans? How to the compare to the Mecasax fan plate? A production I'm on has green lit a fan upgrade. Just curious which option I should recommend.

Just curious to know if anyone on the forum has experience with the Red Epic 2.0 fans. Are they a big improvement over the original fans? How to the compare to the Mecasax fan plate? A production I'm on has green lit a fan upgrade. Just curious which option I should recommend.

Which option to recommend?

...It's called Alexa ... <grin>...

• 3 weeks later...

I am on an Red Epic shoot right now with the additional 2 Top Fans. Today it faild at an long Interview after about 30min. 

Fan Setting was "Adaptive - Quiet Record" with target Temp of 65 Degrees Celcius and Record speed max of 40%. 

How are your experiences of fan settings with the 2 top fans?

Red service told me target Temp 60 Degrees is better for Millenium Sensor. Default is 65 Deg - thats for Dragon Sensor.  

Hello Armin,

How did it "fail". Was the leaf blower mode triggered or did the recording stop... ?

Quiet record is great for small takes as the camera will "stop to breathe" waiting for the end of the take. For longuer takes "adaptive" mode (only) would be better but you'll have a heavier fan noise to get to target (65C° or worst 60C°).

IMHO the new fans from RED are good in cooling faster but not for a longer takes where a constant cooling has to be maintained. There fore we designed the FanPlate with a large fan that spinns slower.

What was the room temp?

Thanks

Pat