Am I Magliner-worthy? Is magliner me-worthy?

Josh Bass

Hey, side note:

I was troubleshooting the rocknroller and found out what least one of the problems is. . .one of the big/front/"dumb" tires is noticeably softer than the other!  WHAT THE HELL? How is this even a thing? They're identical (allegedly) no-flat (non-pneumatic) wheels, yet one, if you press hard on it, feels more like an underinflated pneumatic, while the other is almost rock hard.  This would explain the grinding/rubber noise and extra resistance, but makes 0 sense.

• 4 years later...

I'm reviving this thread because it has good and pertinent information. And to preempt "search the archives" comments. :-)

I had the pleasant task of babysitting a friend's Magliner Jr for a few years while he lived overseas. He moved back last month and, naturally and reasonably, wanted to be reunited with his cart. So now I need to buy something. Mostly for hauling cases & bags, but I would like a nice top shelf with a lip, maybe some other doo-dads.

I'm also all for spending as little as possible. Would rather not spend $1000. I've looked at Kartmaster, Krane, RnRr, Backstage, etc. So my questions:

*How crappy, in both design and QA, are Rock-n-Roller carts these days?

I've seen them on jobs and at rental houses, and they seem...inconsistent. Also, the stock shelf doesn't have a lip/raised edge (but I could build shelf, I guess). The RT12 model looks to be about the size I need. https://rocknrollercart.com/collections/multi-carts/products/r-12-multi-cart 

*Are there any other lower-cost alternatives that offer (or will support a simple homebuilt) top shelf?

( Krane has a case/top, but the flat non-lip side is on top: http://www.kranecarts.com/flightop )

*Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area have a used Magliner Jr (with or without shelves, upgraded wheels, etc) that they want to unload?

Thanks all!

My personal opinions -

Rock-n-roller; i have not used the R12 model, but the ones I have come across are kinda rickety. I have one of their hand truck model, and it works for hauling things, but would not wanna walk it too far. No ballbearings in the wheels and the handle is square metal.

I had a Backstage Mag-mini for a few years, then sold it. I really regret selling it. I’m actually thinking about buying one again. Yes, it’s $1K, but worth it IMO. Smooth ride that will last longer than your next 2-3 cars! Put a baby pin on it and you can mount an umbrella etc.

(if anyone has one to sell in the LA area - PM me :)

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

I'm reviving this thread because it has good and pertinent information. And to preempt "search the archives" comments. 🙂

I had the pleasant task of babysitting a friend's Magliner Jr for a few years while he lived overseas. He moved back last month and, naturally and reasonably, wanted to be reunited with his cart. So now I need to buy something. Mostly for hauling cases & bags, but I would like a nice top shelf with a lip, maybe some other doo-dads.

I'm also all for spending as little as possible. Would rather not spend $1000. I've looked at Kartmaster, Krane, RnRr, Backstage, etc. So my questions:

*How crappy, in both design and QA, are Rock-n-Roller carts these days?

I've seen them on jobs and at rental houses, and they seem...inconsistent. Also, the stock shelf doesn't have a lip/raised edge (but I could build shelf, I guess). The RT12 model looks to be about the size I need. https://rocknrollercart.com/collections/multi-carts/products/r-12-multi-cart 

*Are there any other lower-cost alternatives that offer (or will support a simple homebuilt) top shelf?

( Krane has a case/top, but the flat non-lip side is on top: http://www.kranecarts.com/flightop )

*Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area have a used Magliner Jr (with or without shelves, upgraded wheels, etc) that they want to unload?

Thanks all!

check yr pm

You may be able to load up other carts like this, but driving it will be a misery.   This pile will roll right along nice and easy.  The Great Beauty of Magliners and  similar carts is that their ridiculous over-loadability can allow you to get in or get out in 1 load often... a very beautiful thing...

mago.jpg

Kartmaster is also a great cart that all the Network cameramen (and they’re all men) use for its amazing no tools foldability and ability to just be tossed on the baggage conveyer.  But the smart wheels suck. They’re 5” and only good for nice indoor floors. And just ok on nice sidewalks. Grass? Bumpy sidewalks? Forget it. 

Thanks Phil for connecting me with another local mixer who had a cart she was using less and less. I ended up buying this from her for a very reasonable price. Fewer hooks and such than the Magliner I babysat for a few years, but I dig the pink felt (uh...maybe...). I'll make a couple small changes, but nothing significant. This cart did, however, require some maintenance: I pumped up the tires from 20psi to 40psi. 😜 I think I'm the fourth owner; Magliners and cockroaches will outlive us all.

pinkcart.png

• 4 years later...

An old thread about a timeless classic.  I've had a Rock N Roller "All Terrain" R12 now for 10 years?  Somewhere around that amount of time?  It's kind of been rickety since day 1 but has surprisingly held up decently overall.  I'm thinking it's time to retire it and move on up to a magliner/filmtools/backstage etc proper cart to haul pelican cases etc.  I think I'd want a 24x36 with a bottom and top shelf.  Anyone have any they are looking to sell or any leads on one?  I'm in Orange County so preferably in LA/OC would be great.  I will be up driving to Santa Cruz though right before Thanksgiving so I guess maybe the Bay Area too?

Most of the retired movie crew folks I know who had Magliners kept them even if they sold the rest of their gear.  They are just so damned convenient and last forever.  Mine has survived all sorts of weather, dirt, dunkings, hyper aggressive airline baggage apes (who decided to take it apart and deliver it to the carousel in a big plastic bag just to show me), absurd overloading and nowadays looks like one of those destroyed tanks in Ukraine.  But it keeps rolling on...

29 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Most of the retired movie crew folks I know who had Magliners kept them even if they sold the rest of their gear.  They are just so damned convenient and last forever.

That's kind of what I'm unfortunately finding out.  I know some pop up on occasion but it seems camera folks especially grab them quick.  (Insert sound is slow joke here).  I have been noticing way more Innovativ carts though in camera dept so maybe I'll get lucky eventually?

Well, my buddy Jim F found a used one locally here in the SF area, and at one point many years ago I had 2 and sold one to a lucky newbie AC, so it does happen sometimes!  But if you can spend the $ for new a new one then you can get all the bells and whistles you want at the same time.  An extra recommendation: for location-sound-level weight gear you really don't need the pneumatic rear tires: the thinner plastic-core "hard" wheels work just as well and make the cart MUCH lighter.  I've had them on my magliner for nearly 20 years now and they allow my decrepit 71-year-old-self to still be able to lift the folded-up cart into my hatchback. 

Jim: the pink carpet is cool, and you will always be able to find your cart in a big cart-scrum!

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

An extra recommendation: for location-sound-level weight gear you really don't need the pneumatic rear tires: the thinner plastic-core "hard" wheels work just as well and make the cart MUCH lighter.  I've had them on my magliner for nearly 20 years now and they allow my decrepit 71-year-old-self to still be able to lift the folded-up cart into my hatchback. 

Good to know.  That was one thing I was a bit worried about given the rock n roller is very light and convenient yet I know the magliner can be a handful if you encounter a few steps etc.

I dug the pink felt. But it stayed dusty even after vacuuming. So I replaced it with a section of dark gray indoor/outdoor carpet. Boring, but at least we can scroll up a few posts here and revel in its past Barbiecore glory. I kinda miss it...

Codyman, I'd for sure consider a Magliner (or similar) over a RnR'r... Yes, there's extra weight. But also extra stability, more panache (but not the snobby panache of Inovativ owners), and zillions of useful accessories from Backstage and others. As I'm sure you already know.

Ya, finding one is a challenge. Phil's the one who connected to me to the seller of the cart I have. Worth the wait and weight...

Glad this topic has been resurrected!

One of my first PSM purchases was a Magliner cart that lasted for the entirety of my career. That cart's been sold, but there remains a newer-model Gemini Jr. cart for sale in NYC at Gotham Sound & Communications that's just been marked down.

The pictured aluminum drawers have been sold, but there's lots of useful hardware improvements, including the rack mount improvements and downward-facing handles that make carrying it up stairs easiest.

Make me an offer. Eduardo is the person at Gotham with whom I've been communicating.

https://www.gothamsound.com/used-gear/offer?product_id=8661