Am I Magliner-worthy? Is magliner me-worthy?

Josh Bass

Hey folks.  Let me preface this, as with every thread, by saying I am not a sound guy (if I run for president, that will be my platform).

What I AM is a sometimes one man band camera guy who has to do his own sound/grip/gaffer with a shit ton of big and heavy gear, sometimes teleprompter operator with an equal amount of crap to cart around (presidential system/case, large HD monitors, etc.), sometimes mobile prompter guy on lens mount prompter shoots who likes to use his cart as a mobile table.

I have owned/used a rocknroller r12 all terrain (all big tires) for a few years, think I had the 10 before that.  Both have been janky in different ways. My current one has a wheel that doesn't always touch the ground and spins crazily if the whole cart isn't really weighed down, and one front (dumb, large) wheel has some issue that makes it grind against the whatever blah blah blah I'm not engineer and adds resistance even with not that much weight on it.

The smart wheels tend to buckle under the cart a little, especially on turns.

I've pretty much decided to chuck it, question is to simply get another? Or the newer r14 which is longer, thicker, (dick jokes!), thicker tubing, or go nuts and get a magliner. 

On the face of it, spending around $1000 for a cart seems insane for the work I do (NOT movies/TV, more like corporate video, some commercials, live events, etc.), but those things are beautiful and seem like tanks, in terms of sturdiness.  Plus, no QA/QC issues like the rocknroller/multicarts have had for a number of years.    Won't be obsolete 'til hoverboard tech is perfected (so, like, maybe next year).

I've been looking at a modified junior--top/bottom shelves, large tires (I like the idea of non-pneumatic/no-flat, it appears they exist), seems like good size, close to my current rocknroller, not too large (the Senior, while majestic, seems like asking for trouble), not too small (I think I'd miss too much going to the 39" length model, even with the shelves).

Wondering what folks think about them (for my needs) given these concerns:

-I have a RAV4, not the largest SUV.  Yeah, I know it'll fit, but will it FIT or will it "fit"?

-getting around office buildings/elevators/smaller enviroments. . .problem?

-storage/holding capacity. . .have some bags made to fit on the handles of the Rocknroller, for tripods/stands/etc., generally manage to make it all work in one trip, wondering if the slightly shorter length on Magliner Jr. is compensated with width of shelves, things like that.

-anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks.

A lot of the time we spend money because it makes our life easier.  Look for used Magliners.  I got one for $100 that included shelves, I felt guilty paying that little for it that I paid the guy an extra $50.  My other Magliner with a shelf I got for under $200. Deals are out there if you look. 

A Magliner is one of those purchases that will be your friend forever.  You can replace parts, modify it, hot rod it, drill holes in it, take it apart to get it on small airplanes, air ship it, and overload it with hundreds of pounds of gear, and it keeps working.  Folded up it can be a little awkward and hard on the hands, but nothing beats it for toughness and longevity vs. weight and versatility.  My current magliner has been through several lives, as simple case-hauler, as a full on full wired permanent sound cart, and everything in between.  I think it might be one of my very fave pieces of gear--it works on every job I do.

philp

We should talk, you and me, John.

My first Junior cart has served me 20 years now and has just been laterally moved to a case cart, having been replaced by a new Junior for a follow, having previously been moved to follow and replaced by a Mag Mini two or 3 years ago.

Clearly, I have an affection for the form.

What's cool is, there exists every manner of aftermarket connector, shelf, handle, option, mount imaginable. Downside? Not so much avail for rack mounted stuff specifically for this cart, but it can happen.

Junior has a bunch of wider/narrower shelf options. 

Can't speak for your car, but my two fit neatly in a Ford Transit Connect with room for a bunch of cases and an 8' ramp.

Just uploaded a bunch of photos today here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fauxpress/

Mine (Junior, narrow shelves) fits really well sideways into my FTC, from the side door.  They are light enough (w/ the solid wheels) that I can easily pick up the empty cart built and put it in the van w/o a ramp.  Unless you are hauling really really heavy loads, consider the cheaper solid rear wheels--MUCH lighter than the pneumatics, very good if you have to fold the thing up and lift it into a small car.

philp

Huh. I was considering new. Where did you look used? Ebay? Amazon? Craigslist? Here?

I got mine from guys that I knew, but if they hadn't sold it to me they would of sold it to someone else.  Look around and put the word out. Something will pop up.

Not so close to NYC, Houston TX here.

I'll look around the usual haunts, but for something that'll last forever, not opposed to buying new (up to a point).

Yes, no flat wheels would be great, anything to keep weight down, plus the hassle of pneumatics is a pain.  I can't remember where but I searched for "magliner no flat wheels" or something and found some. . .there were different ones that were the same size but  one was supposed to be "more like pneumatic" than the other. A bit confusing. Also don't know if 10" all around is overkill or what (R12 has two 8" and two 10").   I wouldn't say REALLY REALLY heavy loads, when I go all out with light kit, etc., gets pretty heavy, same with presidential prompter system and stuff that goes along with that.  I couldn't begin to guess total weight. . .somewhere in the 500 lb range maybe?

I do like all the accessories, looked at backstage website and saw of that. Right now, my needs are pretty simple--top and bottom shelf, and maybe those c stand hooks or similar.

There's another thread on here mentioning buying the cart from filmtools and everything else from backstage. . .something about build quality on the cart itself at once place vs the other?

That kartmaster looks nice but unless I'm missing something, I like the tall handles for several reasons.

Luckily, I am not (yet) one of those people who flies for gigs. . .all work in Houston  or least TX area so far except for one thing years ago that was total nonsense so I don't count it.

Go ahead and pull the trigger on a Magliner (or equivalent). Filmtools has different models and accessories that will help you see what is available. All of the above posts are great advice. Once you get it, you will kick yourself for not getting one sooner. If space is an issue, look into the Kartabag option. It folds up pretty small.

I got a used modified Gemini junior from LSC a couple of years ago. Folded up it fits in my Prius over the folded down back seats and I have a perfect space left for a pelican 1650. Certainly well worth the investment, and like others have stated, it will serve you for years to come.

That's a shame, how come?

What are folks' thoughts on the wheels? Non-pneumatic, sure, but what size for a junior? 8"? 10?" If 10, which type of 10" (the "thin" ones or the ones that have more rubber/foam/whatever, supposed to "act more like pneumatic"

(talkin about the last two on this page):

http://www.handtrucks4less.com/acatalog/Magliner_Wheels.html

Looks like they already have two 10" wheels, it's only the other two (smart wheels) that you have the choice on.

Been researching a little more. Looks like Backstage and Filmtools sell what looks to be identical modified juniors. . anyone have an opinion on which is better and why (are they the same company? Filmtools references Backstage on their site)? Filmtools's is more than $100 cheaper than the Backstage equivalent:

http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-converted-junior-cart.html

http://backstageweb.com/Mag%20World%202013%20Catalog%20V2%20WEB.pdf (page 19 of the PDF if it doesn't go there automatically)

I'd go all from Backstage and then you can going forward be confident that all their aftermarket thing-a-ma-bobs will fit. Joe is great to work with at the West 36th Street location. Love and have bought a lot of stuff including carts from FilmTools, but they pick and choose among manufacturers and sometimes it doesn't work as you imagine and their selection for stuff is limited by comparison.

You said you went to the Backstage site, did you oggle their Magliner catalogue (the site leaves something to be desired for UI)? They have options that can carry C-stands, light stands, AC, jockey boxes.

My new Junior has narrow 8" narrow wheel adapter rather than the always-problematic-over-cables and often-replaced casters, and 8' no-flat wheels. Same no-flats on the Mag Mini. I didn't drill down further into wheel options so can't offer an opinion.

I have both R12 and R10 Rock-N-Rollers with lots of shelves and accessories I built for them. The R12 had an issue with the wheels rubbing, but washers solved the problem.

I bought the RNRs largely for how well they compact.

With both of mine working properly, they've served me well. However, Magliners roll much easier on a wide variety of surfaces. If they fit your needs portability-wise, a Magliner is a decision you won't regret (as others have clearly stated).

About the "no flat" gell filled wheels:  they are even heavier than the pneumatics!  Great if you are all lift-gate+ramp, not good if you are thinking "fold-up-into-a-small-car"  or air travel.  The rear wheels I like are the standard cheapo plastic type with small solid rubber tires, much narrower than the pneumatics.  I have loaded up this magliner to a ridiculous extent on my bigger music jobs and when I've been belping with G+E on docs, and they've been fine.

philp

I have had a Kart-a Bag Tri-kart 800 for many years which is great for cases and such but it's not a lie-flat cart like the Magliner or can shelves be easily added. It folds up small though. 

FWIW, I recently have been looking at casters for my my bag-cart at Castercity ( http://www.castercity.com ) They have a very large selection of casters and wheels in many sizes and configurations including the non-pneumatic 'soft' wheels.

Ok, thanks for all the help. Looks like Backstage is the way to go.  . .I like the idea of hooks for Cstands and light stands, and yes, I did see the whole host of things they have on offer.

Still a little fuzzy on the wheels: 1) When you are deal with Magliners, is it like Multicart where the wheel/caster is all one piece and you just snap it into the cart? Or are the casters already on the cart and you attach the wheel only? Wondering about compatibility re: the site listed above. PS I may not understand what a caster is.

When talking about these:

The rear wheels I like are the standard cheapo plastic type with small solid rubber tires, much narrower than the pneumatics. 

Do you mean the itty bitty Magliner stock smart wheels the stock models come with, or something like :

http://www.castercity.com/prw.htm ?

And for front wheels, something like that in 10" as well?

Yes, those have gotten several recommendations. And if it that was all the gear I ever took (above), I'd say "yay!" But imagine this: cases about the size of that large Pelican in your pic,  plus a long (2') and tall (1'+) Portabrace case for all my audio gear, plus a long bag that holds 8 (I think) small light stands, plus camera bag (EX1), plus small monitor, plus possibly some c stands, boom pole, sand bags, tripod (small Sachtler, DV4/FSB4 or 6).   Maybe a few other things, but that's a typical worst case scenario.  

I've also had live even prompter gigs with presidential case, two 42" HD TVs (for downstage monitors), wedges to hold the monitors, and maybe another Pelican with more gear.

Ok, thanks for all the help. Looks like Backstage is the way to go.  . .I like the idea of hooks for Cstands and light stands, and yes, I did see the whole host of things they have on offer.

Still a little fuzzy on the wheels: 1) When you are deal with Magliners, is it like Multicart where the wheel/caster is all one piece and you just snap it into the cart? Or are the casters already on the cart and you attach the wheel only? Wondering about compatibility re: the site listed above. PS I may not understand what a caster is.

When talking about these:

Do you mean the itty bitty Magliner stock smart wheels the stock models come with, or something like :

http://www.castercity.com/prw.htm ?

And for front wheels, something like that in 10" as well?

Sorry I wasn't clear.   I was talking about the larger "rear" wheels, esp re how heavy the gel-filled no-flat type wheels are.  Magliners can have many kinds of wheel setups, including the heavy-duty "AC" type carts with wider shelves and pneumatic wheels all around.  The ultra-stock Magliner comes with the lightweight plastic solid-tire narrow rear wheels--those are my current pref mostly re weight.  Re the "casters" or "smart" wheels, I would stongly urge you replace the stock non-locking versions with ones of the same size but WITH BRAKES.  The locking brakes are one of the best things about the cart--I am always amazed at ACs etc who have huge versions of the Magliner but need a sandbag etc to keep it from getting away on a non-flat surface.  You CAN add the front-frame that allows you to have "smart" pneumatic wheels on the front as well, but this adds considerably to the weight of the cart too.   I had all these bells and whistles plus more at one time, and ended up going back to a much simpler lighter version for what I do these days.   The "drop-on" top shelf feature is really great, and the magliner top shelf will take a huge amount of weight.

p

Thanks. Wow, so you like the itty bitty wheels, even in the rear huh?  I was just talking to someone on the phone in town who has one and recommended going all pneumatic because of the problems of shock/rattling when going over everything with smaller wheels, plus how the pnematics went over things like cracks, cables and door frames without you having to enlist someone to help lift part of the cart.  Have you not had issues with that sort of thing?

I was trying to find the actual weight of the different wheels but none of the sites seem to list that.