Welder?

JonO

post-2668-0-82211400-1399077205_thumb.jpDoes anyone on this board want to do what I hope is a quick weld, or know of a good welder to recommend? I have a crack in my sound cart that I need fixed before I start a project next Thursday. 

I'm not sure how much it would cost, so if your interested give me a quote. Thanks.

-Jon Orr

jorraudio@gmail.com 

post-2668-0-26518500-1399078001_thumb.jp

Theres always "JB" for the mean time....  ::)

yeah, the only problem is that I put the cart on it's back in my Honda Element, so it has to be able to take the weight, which it does usually. Then I was in a hurrying to load out at the end of a long day and when the cart had trouble sliding in, I muscled it..and it broke. Serves me right. 

Mirror, I'm in Los Angeles.

I have some good suggestions from a bunch of people on the 695 Facebook page.

LA is a big place.  If you where by me I can throw you some names.  Also, Isn't Micheal Mirantasomethingoranother on this board a good welder?  Somebody help me out here on his name - he seems to be a good guy.

Had the frame of my motorcycle crack and took it to a local shop and the guy did a great job. Cost around $30. Didn't even have to remove the engine, thank heaven.  Of course I wouldn't suggest you leave your sound gear on the cart.

I have been welding for 14 years, and have been an Welding Instructor for ten of those years (UC Davis and The Crucible).  What you want is a TIG weld and it's a pretty easy fix.  Look on Craigslist for a TIG welder with a TIG welding machine.  The fix should cost around $40-$100 and take about 10 minutes, not including the grinding off of the paint (hint, do the prep and save more money). 

If you were in the SF area, I would do it for free. 

Best of luck and feel free to ask any other questions!

Paul

Another hint - from looking at your picture of the broken weld it appears that the original weld was ground flat after welding. (probably to enhance the appearance) this reduces the strength of the weld probably by abt 70%. So when its re-welded leave the weld intact.

RS

JonO,

The powder coat finish will need to be removed before any welding takes place. Is it steel or aluminum? I can fix that for you if you want to swing by my place however I'm about an hour away from LA. If you prefer saving yourself the drive the best place to look would be a local hot rod shop since they are setup to weld both steel and aluminum. I'd imagine they would only charge about $10 to do that and it should take a few seconds. 

Are you trying to be funny?

BTW, what's your name?

Not trying to be funny at all. I knew you were a welder but couldn't remember your whole name so I wrote what I could remember and then put something-or-another after it.

I was just trying to help the OP out. Jeez, I can't win for nothing around here.

My name?  Why it's Inigo Montoya..... you killed my father...... prepare to die!

If you type "Michael Mir" into the search bar at the top of this page, place and click your curser on "Google", a drop down menu will appear where you can select "Members." Don't forget to click on the magnifying glass icon to execute the search. This will allow you to search the string "Michael Mir" in the list of members. Michael Miramontes' ID will be the only one that comes up. You won't miss it. 

If you type "Michael Mir" into the search bar at the top of this page, place and click your curser on "Google", a drop down menu will appear where you can select "Members." Don't forget to click on the magnifying glass icon to execute the search. This will allow you to search the string "Michael Mir" in the list of members. Michael Miramontes' ID will be the only one that comes up. You won't miss it. 

Thanks for the tip, I just tried it and it works great!  

two pieces of corner bracket and some 1/4-20 bolts with flat washers and nylock nuts will do the trick...a pretty simple repair.

the thin guage metal on your cart would present some unfriendly welding challenges that won't go well.

I ended up going to Burbank Auto Doctor. I usually use Audio Department for cart modifications and they've been awesome, but I needed the project turned around on a weekend. 

Instead of welding it, the Jason at Burbank Auto Doctor recomended reinforcing both handles with a custom cut steal joint because he felt that the break would reappear. They did a nice job and I am happy and everything is functioning well.

I'm going to add some wheels on the handles to help ease the strain when I load into the back when I can find the right set. Before I was using a sound blanked that slid on the plastic flooring of my Element, and that worked for around 3 years. I had always meant to add wheels, I just never got around to it because the sound blanket worked so well. 

Here are some photos of the cart..a work in progress, like all of them.

I do not understand why photos are sideways...

post-2668-0-10623700-1399431463_thumb.jp

post-2668-0-93098000-1399431508_thumb.jp

post-2668-0-32672000-1399431543_thumb.jp