modified Zaxcom TRX742 cone for secure mounting

Matthias Richter

Hi there,

after my 742 fell off the pole twice I needed a way to improve the the mounting system.

So far it only snaps into the matching XLR counterpart making it very easy to not having it locked properly.

With the older TRX700 I can use a cut off version of a Rycote plugon holder but not with the 742.

I now had the idea of reducing the housing of the cone and Kortwich in Berlin did a very good job in doing so:

post-495-0-68472200-1399450774_thumb.jpe

post-495-0-67150800-1399450784_thumb.jpe

post-495-0-19639100-1399450795_thumb.jpe

post-495-0-20798100-1399450804_thumb.jpe

post-495-0-19341500-1399450816_thumb.jpe

$65 - peanuts for what it does - peace of mind. I highly recommend a redesign of the 742 cone to Zaxcom. Even better -  have a locking mechanism like Sennheiser´s SKP or Lectro. The 742 is just to heavy and expensive to rely on that XLR connector only.

Matthias,Do you get TRX742 on the top of pole too? I have never had mine fall off,I used Ambient QATTOP TIP to mount 742,but still have a RFI problem with Sanken CS3e。。。。Why did you use 90° Angle Whip Antennna?

Yes on top of the pole. 90' antenna reduces RFI into my CMIT very effectively.

If ALWAYS double check the XLR did snap with a click, the 742 should stay in place. Human error does happen and I wanted to add more safety after 2 times of seeing it falling to the ground.

Thanks,I ‘ll try your way. Hope to work out the porblem of RFI.

• 7 months later...

Rescuing this topic just because I've just received my first TRX742.

I'd like to ask Matthias (or anybody else using this product) if that rubber washer in between the 742 XLR connector was in the package or if you add by yourself.

I find that XLR connector on the 742 don't match perfectly my Cinela XLR, so when swinging fast it produce a little but audible noise...

I hope I explained it well...

thanks,

Vale.

You can find a wide variety of rubber "O" rings at your local hardware store.

Thanks Jack,

it was only for curiosity if it was provided to other folks.

Anyway, I'd say that Zaxcom could add it to the kit by default, IMHO...

it seems a must-to-have thing, for the 742, in the little time I played with it.

Thanks again and have a good new year!

Vale.

This is my current mounting scheme for the 742.  Doesn't have the extra strength of the OP's mod, however the ambient holder is the right distance away from the pole so the 742 sits flush on the rubber bumper on the bottom, and the SD card is protected by the pole from an accidental bump.  A bongo tie (or a velcro strap) keeps the whole thing tight.  Now I just need to make a low profile XLR.

post-2639-0-63452000-1420309005_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

Anyone Have any other Ideas/Mods?

I have 2 TRX 742s and both have been very well cared for but from Normal usage both have had to be repaired, because of the loose XLR connection.

I know I saw a pic of a modified TRX742 with a locking XLR on here but I can't find the link though.