Applying to 695 as boom op

I'm just curious, Steve.  If you're already a member of your local, Local.  Why would you want to join a West Coast Local?  Are you moving to Los Angeles? 

I'm also curious, Lawrenece, how is it that someone not a resident of Los Angeles, can become a member of a West Coast Local?  Is residency no longer a requirement?  I know that Louisiana and Georgia, require residency before you join their Local, how is that not a concern for Local 695?

Just wondering.....not trying to stir anything up, it just seems to me that the Local should be concerned with the membership that lives in it's jurisdiction, and not accepting members who's residency is elsewhere.  There's a lot of out of work folks living in Los Angeles, that I would think the Local should be concerned with, but that's just me.....

Yes Lawrence, please explain.

Also, being a 695 member doesn't ensure 695 rates for you if you work outside of your area. 695 gladly allows its members to work for ASA rates out of town. You can no longer send your hours to 695 from out of state for health and pension benefits. 695 members are also not desirable to producers out of town, because employing someone from a west coast local subjects production to Post 60s Residuals.

So unless you're moving to Los Angeles (ill advised), then there isn't much point.

While Steve is from the Baltimore area, he does work for west coast mixers and I'm guessing he wants to do the right thing if offered a gig out here. I see nothing wrong with that. I've worked in NYC, Boston,NOLA, Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Chicago, Colorado, San Francisco, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Seattle, Portland, New Mexico, Arizona, Mexico, and many points in between. Do I wish there was more work out in LA? Sure, and there will be again, but the work is decentralized and world wide and that will never change back to what it was in the past. To me this points out the need for a national sound guild like 600. 

CrewC 

While Steve is from the Baltimore area, he does work for west coast mixers and I'm guessing he wants to do the right thing if offered a gig out here. I see nothing wrong with that. I've worked in NYC, Boston,NOLA, Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Chicago, Colorado, San Francisco, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Seattle, Portland, New Mexico, Arizona, Mexico, and many points in between. Do I wish there was more work out in LA? Sure, and there will be again, but the work is decentralized and world wide and that will never change back to what it was in the past. To me this points out the need for a national sound guild like 600. 

CrewC 

+1 Now to convince the IA that it is for the good of it's members.  

For the past 2 years or so, I've been booming for the wonderful William "Waco" MacPherson. He's a mixer that I would love to continue working with, whether it be here in Baltimore, or on any other project he may pick up. I've been asked by not only him, but a few other LA sound mixers to consider joining 695 in order to work for them on their next projects. Now, I have no intentions on joining 695 unless I know this work is to be had and I have no intentions of implying that I want to take any work from any locals. I'm merely trying to figure out my options based my future as a boom operator and my ability to work with Bill and other wonderful mixers and people.

Crew, you're absolutely right in saying that I'd want to do the right thing and be able to take a job offered to me under the 695 jurisdiction if offered to me... Especially if it's an offer from Bill, because I don't think I can say no to him, nor do I ever really want to say no to him or any other mixer. If a mixer asks you to do a job with them, I'm sure it is for good reason... So, I believe you should do everything in your power to take them up on that offer!

That being said, thanks for all the replies everyone! I did find more and more topics here, Senator, so you're correct in saying that all the info is here for the taking!

NOW, let's get this national sound guild going!

Cheers,

Steve

Rich, I just may be moving out there, but at this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

And NOT ONLY did Rich sell me some of him Lectrosonics kits, which are still working swimmingly... He also helped me get a hold of a brand new Rycote Super Softie at NAB, courtesy of Mr. Scott Boland! It also helped that Scott was a big fan of the 2 wonderful Baltimore shows in town, so he requested photos... of course coinciding with the rules of photos on set :)

Steve,

If William wants to bring you to Los Angeles, because you and he get along really well and you do a good job for him, then it might make sense for you to join.  It's a lot of cash, however, to join 695 and house yourself while you're here, and also you'll need a car, etc.  I expect William wouldn't mind your turning him down for these reasons, but if the alternative is unemployment in Baltimore, then the math might still work in your favor, even if you are paying for all that stuff. 695 rates are quite a bit higher if you are on a basic agreement project.  There aren't that many full-rate shows here, however.

As for the requirements from contract service to get on the roster, you'll have to check with them.

Robert

Right now, we don't even really have a LAX sound local, as it is in the trusteeship of IATSE HQ

Crew: " To me this points out the need for a national sound guild like 600. "

I think a merger of sound-only locals into L600 is a real possibility, with sound members of mixed locals being allowed to apply; I also think it is the best course for many reasons, and especially for members...

RVD: " I just wish that Local 695, would look after it's jurisdictional membership "

and L695's jurisdiction is LA County, CA.

Saada: " able to take a job offered to me under the 695 jurisdiction "

you can do that when the time comes...

"If the Sound Union goes National, I wonder if you can handle the cut in pay, Crew?  I hope all is well with you and family....." RVD

Life is good Rich. I have a new grandchild on the way. We are ecstatic. Thanks.

For me rate wise, well i'm on the downhill, racing to the finish line of retirement. I've been lucky in that regard. I'd define it as "Dumb Luck".;~)  Now for all those who follow us old timers, like my sons and friends, it's hard to imagine it will ever be as good as we had it, but I recall the old guys complaining how we (the new guys back then) were screwing it all up and the old days were great and when we started, things sucked. I hope all the film workers can unite and stand up for better hours and rates. It's in their hands now as sadly my work days are nearing the end of the road. I do have one wish though, I wish RVD'd mix again and teach some of the new guys how to work and have fun. Kind of like "Waco" Bill is doing. Cheers amigo. I hope to see you soon.

CrewC

Being one of the few folks who post here somewhat regularly who knows both Bill and Steve, I'll say that working with Bill the last couple of years has made Steve a highly qualified craftsman. He was pretty good to start with. His documentable days for the last year alone would qualify him for 695 membership since he works regularly on two of the most popular shows out their right now and would likely hit close to 400 days in the qualifying period. Local 695 would be lucky to have him as a member.

Just one man's opinion,

Jim

My post was NOT intended to question Steve's ability or his talent.  My posting is about the responsibility of a Local of the I.A.T.S.E. taking in members who don't reside within their jurisdiction.  

I personally think it's irresponsible of Local 695 to welcome in member after member, who's primary residence is outside of their jurisdiction.  Apparently Local 695 thinks there already IS a National Local, and they're it.

One of the problems with allowing members to join, who live out of state, is that if those "members" accept a job in Los Angeles, then they will be putting themselves up and will be expected to work as a "local," thus taking a job from someone that resides in Los Angeles and pays their dues to 695, and is available for that same job.  

There's also an economic impact to members living outside of jurisdictions, that effect is on the greater populace of that jurisdiction, and that is on where that money is spent.  Sure, the member that puts him/herself up for work in Los Angeles is paying rent, but they're also paying a mortgage on their home in their "home state."  After the job, they take their earnings and spend them in their "home state," and NOT in the state or jurisdiction wherein they were earned.

This flood of membership nationwide by 695 is NOT serving their primary membership, in my opinion.  Locals in Louisiana and Georgia are trying to force new members to establish themselves as residents FIRST before accepting new members.  I was told by someone recently that in Georgia, the local there asked them to renounce their membership in 695 in order to become a member of their Local.  Now why doesn't Local 695 do the same?

In finishing, I just want to reiterate for Jim, that my posts are NOT an attack on Steve and his ability.  My impression of Steve is that he is a kind person and more than qualified to hire as a boom operator, and I would do so myself based solely on Jim and Bill's recommendations.  

This is about union Locals protecting and representing their membership, their "local membership" and not just concerning themselves with stuffing their coffers with dues paid by out of state members that DON'T reside in Los Angeles.

@CrewC, congratulations Crew on the news of the grandchild, I can't wait for that phase of my life.  I think my best work may have been as a Father, I loved the responsibility and had as much fun raising Courtney, as she did raising me!

+1

J.D.

I know at least one 695 member who was offered work in GA, and had to physically move there, and show proof residence, to join the local there. Which he gladly did, BTW.

I think it's only reasonable to have a similar set of rules in every local, for obvious reasons. I subscribe with Rich's point 100%.

Cheers,

BK

Some of what has been mentioned here is accurate and some is not.  Keep in mind that different people have different reasons for wanting to join, from being able to work under the higher rates of the Basic Agreement to just the idea that 695 membership might add prestige to the resume.  But for some, it may not make any sense at all to join.  The best advice for anyone thinking about it is to just call the Local at (818) 985-9204 and discuss with Scott.  Trust me, he won't be twisting anybody's arm to get them to join.

Laurence: " call the Local at (818) 985-9204 and discuss with Scott....he won't be twisting anybody's arm "

a great gentleman, with a long career in our business, and a distinguished family history in the game as well..

שלח מאחד ממכשירי המחשב האישיים שלי משתמש באינטרנט תוכנית, אתה יכל לומר לאיזה אחדים?

A big +1 regarding Scott Bernard. One of the best things to happen to our Local...

And also to Crew C's comments; It wasn't that long ago that a mixer could expect to work well into his '70s (if he wanted to). I recall more than a few guy's working at Universal, Columbia, Paramount, The Burbank Studio and other studios who weren't exactly spring chickens. OTOH, none of those guys were going to strap on a 788 with 8 wireless mics either!

Still, they brought a level of professionalism to the set that is sadly lacking today.

And yes, a National Contract is long overdue.

--S

Laurence: " call the Local at (818) 985-9204 and discuss with Scott....he won't be twisting anybody's arm "

a great gentleman, with a long career in our business, and a distinguished family history in the game as well..

שלח מאחד ממכשירי המחשב האישיים שלי משתמש באינטרנט תוכנית, אתה יכל לומר לאיזה אחדים?

So why don't all the mixers who are members of local Locals simply withdraw and join 695?

Producers wouldn't be able to hire a mixer in a local Local, because there wouldn't be any, so they'd be forced to hire a 695 member. Boom/Utility with multiple skills, would need to decide if they're sound people or not in order to vacate the locals of boom/utility people too. Perhaps this would help to get 3 people on sound crews that are only getting 2.

I'm oversimplifying, obviously, but in essence that's what needs to be done.

RVD: " someone who's a Board Member at Local 695 "

there are currently no board members, or officers of L695, which is being run as a trusteeship by the IA HQ ...

and I still say the coming route to a unified national representation is merger of sound locals with L600...

RVD: " how they best represent their "worldwide" members, "

they only represent these non-local (to LAX) members if they are employed within the 695 jurisdiction, which is LAX;  the fact is that many productions shooting outside of LAX are based in the TMZ and thus the employment durinng location shooting may fall under 695's jurisdiction.

RVD - In no way did I take any offense, completely understandable. I would gladly work for you anytime!

Jim - Thanks for the kind words, as always

As for 695 for me, it seems that after researching and taking in all of your thoughts, I'll most likely be holding off joining for now. As much as I would love to be able to say yes to jobs offered in that jurisdiction, it's not the right time for me. I know there's fantastic boom ops all over, and I wish them all the best!

Thanks everyone,

Steve

I'm one of those people who have recently joined 695 and am not currently an LA or even CA resident.  The Hawaii local, being a "mixed local" for the most part hires out G&E types, sound utilities, art department, etc... although technically boom ops and even mixers can be hired under the 665 contract, de facto ratios of mixers hired under 665 vs 695 is probably in a ratio of 20:1 or more.  It's not all roses, though, in order for me to work in Hawaii as a 695 Y-1, I have to be flown from LA.  There is probably even a requirement to pay me per diem and housing, but I'm not sure.  In other words, becoming a 695 member doesn't automatically make me a more attractive hire for Hawaiian productions or national productions shooting in Hawaii.  In most cases, I'll probably still work under the 665 contract.  The bottom line, the people that get hired are the people hired for their reputation and experience, irregardless of what union membership they have.

I don't currently work in LA, but quite frankly, I plan on attempting to.  I went to high school in California, lived several years in CA (although technically many of those as an AZ resident during military service), know my way around the 10/405/101/PCH - really, CA seems like a 2nd home to me.  When the time comes to put more of a presence in LA, I'll have an LA address, pay taxes to the proper authority - most likely to the feds as a CA resident and of course CA state.  If for some reason it makes more sense to file as a HI resident according to my accountant, and everything is legal, then so be it - but I can't imagine a scenario where my legal residence wouldn't make more sense as a Californian with a business office in Hawaii.

Why would I make this move?  CA is saturated with mixers... well it's a personal decision, but I feel that I need to grow professionally, and perhaps that means making my move in LA rather than staying in my "home turf" which is Hawaii for 6+ years (and NYC prior to that).  So far I haven't sniped any jobs away from any LA mixers - being a transient / migratory worker - in fact my balance is in your (LA) favor having referred jobs, I have contributed to 695 in for form of membership dues, have not qualified for nor enjoyed any healthcare benefits... so for the time being, its free money for the fund with the expectation of (gradually) becoming a more typical 695 member.

I do admit my application for 695 could be seen as a bit more premature, but I know it is a step that I would be taking eventually, so doesn't seem like there is any harm in doing that now.  695 is dedicated to sound, projection, and video technicians, where 665 is a rather less defined mixed local without any one particular discipline represented.  There is the obvious trend of shoots being migratory and the technicians who staff these billets being a bit nomadic too.  I'm not really the guy that is going to pursue a particular geography because it is "hot at the moment" but if I do get the call to shoot somewhere, because they know me and they want me, I want to be prepared to do that and 695 or local 52 seem like the two obvious choices to facilitate that.  52 is just geographically too far from Hawaii despite my NYC lineage, and there seems to be a bit of a symbiotic relationship between LA and HI - sometimes we almost seem like the jungle backlot for LA, without having to go to a foreign country.