Line or Mic level at Black Magic Cameras

euphemia

Hello, I am trying to send a 1Khz tone to a Black Magic camera. It doesn't have a VU meter and all it has is a percentage "level" in the audio menu of the camera. Any thoughts of what would it be the equivalent of the 1Khz tone in the camera's percentage "VU"? Thanks

Audio settings are on page 19 of the manual:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/5813056/Blackmagic_Camera_Manual_July_2013.pdf

ScreenShot2014-05-10at103520PM_zpsdbabe3

I like Blackmagic Design for certain things, but I'm baffled as to why the audio and timecode sections of this $3000 camera are so horrible. They did get it right with the newer Ursa camera (except for the giant 10" viewfinder). 

Ran a quick test on the Pocket Cinema with these results:

-20 dB tone from SD-Mx Pre D to Camera LINE input
Gain    Pre D output level set to
BM%    Line    Mic

30         -16    -37   dBfs file level
40         -13    -34
50         -11    -32
60         -9.5   -31
70          -8    -29
80          -7    -28
90          -6    -27
100        -5    -26

"-20 dB tone from SD-Mx Pre D"

Assuming the MixPre D is like other SD products, wouldn't  the calibration tone be 0VU on the MixsPre's meter, which would equal '0dBu' at the XLR (in line mode)..-20dBFS would then be the 'normal' setting on the following recorder, providing it has full range.meter. (dBFS)

Or am I missing something? (my mind for instance)

In any case, that's good info to have, Thanks SG

Here's how it goes. "0" is .775volts ac as measured across pins 2 & 3 of an output xlr. On older analog mixers like the 442 it lines up with the "0" markings which is mid point on the meter scale and you had to do the "0" to -20 math in your head.

Now the "0" mark is at the top of the scale and the -20dbfs mark is mid scale where the tonelines up to now. Nothing has changed, same output level just a different designation.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There is a previous thread about level setting on BM cameras. my experience: the newest firmware has meters showing. also, playback is now possible on camera (previously unavailable). the meters have -24 and -18 markings. I only used mic ins on camera, not line. headphone return was OK, just a bit low. I fed the pocket cam with a Sennheiser G2 at lowest mic level out via 1/8" cable. The bigger BM camera on the shoot was fed mic level via XLRs into the attached Wooden Camera gizmo. all good. recorded everything to a 633 as well. haven't heard anything back except that the cheque is in the mail. (very good client actually).