Rycotes new Super-Softie

Glen Deakin

Did try one today with a Sennheiser 8060. A bit too short a mic for the super softie. It sat in a inv hg mk3 , I didn't like it at all. IMO, it added handling noise and it didn't work well with some very light wind from the back. To be fair, when I covered the mic fully I couldn't get the mic to rumble when I blew air with my mouth on it. But mounted on the boom with the softie on covering about 97% of the mic, moving it in the air would introduce wind noise. The wind came in though the back.

Again, to be fair this was a quick test. It sounded just fine when it worked.

The mic was a bit too short, I had the XLR module on. For low cut I used the tac!t. The boom was an ambient.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matthias

so is the supershield a bit weak than ws4 or is the same?

does it make this cloong on handling work?

I did a test with the super-windshield just inside a shop to see wether it got improved handling noise reduction or not. Can´t say anything about performance outside / in windy conditions.

Lets hope for the new Cyclone which got the basket floating on the pole.

Replaced-  am i missing something?  I have a super softy- my only comment is when it hits it wind limit( which is fairly significant level of wind) , it makes more of whoosh /whistliy sound.  Not low freq wind noise.  Easier to deal with low freq wind noise than the high stuff.... 

Replaced-  am i missing something?

There were comments in another thread about Super Softies (at least, I think it was another thread)...some early Super Softies were apparently not built to spec (ie- had flaws). Or something like that. Poke around here, check with your dealer, etc. Apparently the flaw was significant enough that users were thinking, "WTF?" So I guess it was pretty obvious.

Others here can perhaps provide details, links, etc...

• 4 months later...

I thought neither were up to the task in that wind..time for Zep+fur etc. Probably better to compare in lower wind situations. Seemed like depending on the specific wind gust, one or the other would handle it better..but neither more consistently..at least on my computer speakers. I agree the original had more low freq disturbance..but that might be a good thing since there may be room to roll it off.

The moisture test seemed incomplete: no test in wind after wet, no test of sound of rain drops on them.

$.02

The First shape design of super softie was clearly a huge mistake (and more on MS mic). This is why I sold in hurry my super softie soon I tested it.

The rubber bottom (nightmare with rain drops) of super softie is the second thing made me go to the k-tek slip-on furry with no rubber.

I'm surprised they didn't have you send in the old one to have it destroyed.

My guess is the materials don't actually cost that much to manufacture, also, who'd risk using a defective windscreen?

I'm not sure what to do with the old one now, maybe a travel pillow?

Here's a comparison of the old and new. Cat for scale.

The differences make sense, I mean why not give even distribution of the windscreen material across all vents of a mic, instead of increasing amounts towards the front. It also is less goofy looking.

post-6888-0-37488600-1424893745_thumb.jp