Sony UWP-D vs Sennheiser G2 / G3

stefanosound

I have used both, albeit not with the same microphone.  The Sony system appears to be very nicely built, with smooth metal (magnesium?) cases all around and sturdy antennas (I'm not sure if they're removable).  I wouldn't worry about dropping either unit.  The battery clips are very secure sprung slideout caddies that require two fingers to operate.

The menu system is a little confusing.  I prefer a simple "frequency up" and "frequency down" system, but these appear to use groups of presets whose frequencies are quite randomly laid out.  Mind you, I was using someone else's system so perhaps they were programmed for their requirements.  To get into the advanced menu for more controls, you have to hold a button while turning it on.  They have some kind of band scanner to help decide what frequencies are clear, but I didn't trouble myself with it.

As with the Sennheisers, the receivers aren't ideal for bag operation - the display is otherwise invisible.  They're clearly designed to be mounted on the back of a camcorder.  That said, I didn't have any issues with reception, although I was outside in the open air for most of the time.  There were 3-4 other units operating at the same time, on the same shoot.  I had no interference from any of them.

Personally I think the Sennheiser G3 system sounds much better, although this could be down to the microphones used and the fact that I wasn't operating my own mixer/headphones.  The Sony mic just seemed rather dull and uninterested, especially when compared to the T-powered 416, which was as good as ever.  I can't tell you about companding effects and similar, because I was in a relatively noisy environment.  And also because after a few hours, I virtually gave up with them and stuck with the boom.

My verdict, from sound quality and price, is the Sennheiser.  Another plus point is that the G3s are everywhere - I very rarely see Sony radio mics.  And despite using the same connector, I don't believe the microphones are interchangeable.

My verdict, from sound quality and price, is the Sennheiser.  Another plus point is that the G3s are everywhere - I very rarely see Sony radio mics.  And despite using the same connector, I don't believe the microphones are interchangeable.

The UWP-D is quite new, and features a digital compander (similar in some respects to Lectro's Digital Hybrid system) that is backwards compatible with the older UWP series, and also has a 72Mhz switching bandwidth, up from 24Mhz on previous versions. Do they sound any better? I don't know.

I recently saw this YouTube video, where a G3 and the new UWP-D were 'tested' side-by-side. In terms of audio quality the G3 sounded better, IMO. (though the G3's bungled mic is still a POS) In terms of range/reception, the UWP-D won. However there was no mention of frequency selection (or method used thereof) and other set-up parameters, so I'd be wary of the Sony w/o actual hands-on experience or reviews from a known trusted source.

• 1 month later...

while the professional production sound mixers are not the target market for these, I think AT will be selling quite a few of their new offering:

" With its compact, portable design, the System 10 Camera-Mount high-fidelity digital wireless system is ideally positioned to capture media on the go. Perfect for video production, electronic news gathering (ENG) and every mobile application in between, the receiver features multiple mounting options to accommodate a variety of cameras and recording devices.  "

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wls_systems/64268b9dcbed6cfd/index.html

The UWP-D is quite new, and features a digital compander (similar in some respects to Lectro's Digital Hybrid system) that is backwards compatible with the older UWP series, and also has a 72Mhz switching bandwidth, up from 24Mhz on previous versions. Do they sound any better? I don't know.

The UWP-D compander is much, much better in UWP-D mode than in UWP mode (I tested this last week and lasted about 5 seconds in UWP mode).

But I'd still buy the Sennheisers, mainly because everyone has them.  If you're operating at that price range then I think getting easy replacements for loss/breakage/fault is more important than any fringe benefits the Sony gear might supply.