Old Perfectone NT4101L 4 into1 mixer

mainsman

Hi All,

This one's a long shot, but  does anyone still have any technical info or diagrams for the Perfectone NT4101L mixer please?

I picked one up recently for a refurb. project (without realising how hard the shematics would be to find!)

It looks to have silicon transistors, about 30dB gain on each of the 4 input channels and (i'm guessing) another 10dB on the "summing" output channel.

Other than needing of some t.l.c and a new power supply, it looks to be really well made. I certainly wouldn't want to drop one on my foot! :-)

I've no idea how old it is though, i'm guessing 1970's?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated,

All the best, Lee

I'm sorry that I'm not going to be much help with your project but the whole enterprise sounds eerily familiar. Neil Stone had a mixer very much like this in his shop for months - maybe this very one. I had some interest in it, thinking that it might be useful as a spare or for car rigs. Neil emphatically cautioned me that he was selling it "AS-IS" and that he never wanted to see it again. He explicitly refused to work on it because it was no longer possible to get the same components and every part that would need replacement was an exercise in choosing an equivalent substitute.

That's not to say that restoration as a hobby project or to fill out a museum-type collection wouldn't be a worthy thing. And, if that's your objective, go for it and share the results with us. You might wish to contact David Panfili at Location Sound. (http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/index.html)

David has a nice collection of old Nagras, including a Nagra II. (Or is it a Nagra I, it's the spring drive model?) He talks with some pride about Peter Phan's abilities to keep the Nagra IIIs running still, so they may have some useful resources for a Perfectone restoration.

David Waelder

Not sure if this would be the same model,but the BBC Film Department were using Perfectone mixers for location recording - in conjunction with the Perfectone tape recorder (same footprint) in the early '60's. I remember using them around '63

Perhaps Roger Slater may recall better than I!

Mutt n' Jeff