J.L.Fisher 9th Annual Open House & (Free) BBQ

Laurence

I should have mentioned this earlier but TODAY is the:

J.L.Fisher 9th Annual Open House & (Free) BBQ
Saturday May 17, 2014
Come anytime from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
J.L. Fisher, Inc.
1000 W. Isabel St. - Burbank, CA  91506 - map http://goo.gl/PFUhzH

Local 695 will offer hands-on demos of the 23-ft. Fisher Boom.  Jim Fisher will lead tours of the machine shop at 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm. New equipment on display (mostly camera, grip and electric), many familiar faces for chat and networking and lots of (free) food.  Look for us in the Local 695 area and say hello.

Great turnout.  Great people to talk with.  Great food.  (I have a few pics but I must admit, they bear a striking resemblance to prior years.)  Lots of newbies came by to experience the first-time joy of jumping up and quickly grinning from ear-to-ear.  And lots of experienced boom ops stopped by and always have the same thing to say... I wish I could talk my mixer into asking for one these.  Which is why I like it so much when the mixers give it a look and learn A) how great they are, and 'B) how much the rental is lower than what they expected, and C) how great they are.  And it was fun to talk with 695'er Andy Adams and hear about him using a Model 2 to battle long takes on his single-camera network tv show and loving every minute of it.  Like I say every year, if you missed it this time, mark your calendar for the 3rd Saturday in May next year.

Got to have a Fisher Boom for those now popular long takes.The mixer is responsible for his boom ops welfare.

J.D.

Laurence: " It's easier than you think. "

often it really is, but a lot of mixers decline to press for this time, effort, and money saver!!

Got to have a Fisher Boom for those now popular long takes.The mixer is responsible for his boom ops welfare.

J.D.

Exactly.  If a department head deems a piece of equipment as necessary... and especially if they play the "safety card"... the chances of getting it on production are greatly improved.  But many mixers today don't even know how much they cost and approach the topic in self-defeat, afraid to even engage the matter.  Too expensive?  Who here who doesn't know the true answer would hazard a guess at how much it costs to rent a Model 2 for a week?  For a month?