RIP - Gordon Willis, ASC

Jeff Wexler

post-1-0-14268300-1400466744_thumb.jpg

The Cinema world has lost one of its shining stars and greatest masters.

Gordon Willis was, of course, best known for his work as Director of Photography on the 'Godfather I, II, and III,' and also such films as 'All the President's Men,' 'Manhattan,' 'Annie Hall,' 'Klute,' 'Presumed Innocent,' 'Zelig,' 'The Parallax View,' 'The Paper Chase,' 'Little Murders,' and many others. Gordon's first feature was 'End of the Road,' in 1970, and his last film before retirement was 'The Devil's Own,' in 1997, 30 years of incredible Cinematography.

Absolute top guy, one of the best. Annie Hall, The Godfather... what a legend. Willis often told the story about how the Paramount execs were incensed at how dark the dailies were when he was shooting The Godfather, and they kept trying to have him fired off the picture, but Coppola stood up for him and demanded he be left alone. Sadly, Willis was never even once nominated for Best Cinematography up until 1983, a victim of politics. He did get an honorary Oscar in 2009. 

Sadly I never had the pleasure of working with Mr Willis, I only knew him through the stories of others like Jim Webb. I knew him though through his work as a Cameraman. A master craftsman/artist without dispute. Big fan of his work. My condolences to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

CrewC  

Very nice short documentary on his work in The Godfather:

And a nice tribute by ASC president Richard Crudo:

“This is a momentous loss. He was one of the giants who absolutely changed the way movies looked. Up until the time of The Godfather 1 and 2, nothing previously shot looked that way. He changed the way films looked and the way people looked at films.”

Willis was an undeniably great DP in an era in which DP politics were very tightly controlled by the ASC and the union.  DPs who made waves, broke rules and spoke their minds suffered for doing so, no matter how good they were. Willis was one of those, as was the late Jim Glennon, as well as our patron DP-Saint, Haskell Wexler.   They may not have won all the awards they should have, but their work will be studied (and copied) for as long as there are movies.

philp

Amazing.  I can replay images of all of those movies listed above in my mind.  In particular, the nighttime scenes in All the President's Men were so tense.  Manhattan's slightly raised black values make it such a beautiful movie and the Godfather saga are the gold standard in my mind of motion picture photography.

• 2 weeks later...