New product from K-Tek

dfisk

Why hasn't anyone ever made a pivoting harness to hold a boom pole, so you don't have to hold the boomup all the time.

Because it's hard and really expensive to do right, and even then it isn't quite right. We were working on something based on the easy rig for cameras and nobody liked it, so we stopped. There is the kit cool which is alright for ENG stuff, but not for film or narrative tv. Boom ops need to be able to move the pole any which way at any moment and so far any rig that exists out there is limiting. 

I think it would be easy to do with something like a big articulated pole. One articulation goes to the ground or to a belt platform, then vertically up to the articulation point, the second articulation goes out horizontally over talent. It'd be just like putting a boom on a stand...except you would hold it and have much better ability to move it. I imagine someone's already thought of that however.

Dave,

I just got a StingRay and I can see that I'll be getting those cable hangers next.

I've been using "piggin strings" in conjunction with RipTies... but the piggin strings leave a lot to be desired... what you have there looks about perfect.

I've been putting my cans in the side pocket for storage, but that's a tight fit... and this looks like a nice way to hold the snake on one side, and cans on the other. With the loop system surrounding the bag... I'll get two sets so I can also keep a couple coils of XLR on there.

Nice job.

Ah yes!

I know of a Swedish dude that made one of these himself as well.. that one (rabbit) seems good, but I don't get why you'd need one. The shots that require a long boom are not as frequent, IME. I've managed with a 4m boom on all my projects.. different strokes.

And yes on topic, hehe. I'm ordering this post haste. Live the little things!

Yes! Thank you KTek! One of my biggest problems with the piggin straps is the Velcro destroys some headphones, like HD25s.

Cool. We wanted to make something that is quick and easy to use. I've been using them to hold headphones on the bag. 

Whilst browsing your youtube channel David, I saw the announcement of a new zeppelin somewhere last year. Any timeframe for that? Looks interesting, the modular design.

Soon. We've been refining it to make it just right.