New HD and Composite rack monitors!

RPSharman

Hello,

Just bought one of these. It's on the way. I'll tell you all how it is once I test it out on an upcoming pilot.

http://www.delvcam.com/product.asp?item=DELV-2LCD7-3GHD

It's HD or Composite video, so can be used with CAT5 balun system if downconverters available, or various forms of HD if they aren't. It the first of its kind at this price point. It also detects PAL/NTSC/SECAM.

At just a bit more $$ than the BM monitors, the flexibility is well worth it. And the buttons on the front make adjustments easier too, I hope.

Robert

I also just picked up one of these. Really wish they have an option to turn off one of the monitors when not using it (a feature also missing on the blackmagic)

Hey Wyatt, are the rack ears on the Marshall removable?

On the Marshall, you can turn monitors on and off individually (and the unit will remember its previous state on power-up).

The rack ears are removable, and slightly pivot-able. There is also what appears to be a 1/4-20 thread mount on each side of the unit, that is accessible when the rack ears are removed.

Really, for me, the primary selling points were that A: these were the only SDI/Composite dual rack monitors that I knew of, and B: I need to be able to angle my monitors for an ideal viewing angle. 

I have been doing some cart modifications lately, and while I could have added an 80/20 swivel to accomplish the same end, I feel more secure with a straight mounting point attached in two places.

Pouring over the specs though, the Delvcam monitors are higher resolution, a higher contrast ratio, and a good deal brighter (this is the spec that concerns me most) than the Marshall. The marshall's are also more power hungry than either the Delvcam or the BMD SmartDuo.

The Marshall is a greater resolution than the BMD, but I couldn't find a published brightness spec (for the BMD)

Thanks for the kudos' on the cart, guys. As with everyone, I'm sure, it's a perpetual work in progress.

As far as the mount… Unfortunately, to call it a swivel mount would be generous. While the mounting system for the ears does allow for slight tilts, it wasn't enough for my needs. I ended up removing the top screw and sandwiching a strip of butyl between the monitor and the rack ears. Seems to hold fine for now. If it starts to shake loose down the road, I could always tap out a new hole in the monitor case. The bottom screw on the ears, however, holds everything pretty securely on its own (for now)

It might be a blessing that the monitors are angled.  A small shelf of black card mounted directly above them, extending out about 6", parallel to the mixer, would cut all glare.  This is because the face of the monitors would "look" at the black of the card.  It's the same principle that the company Hoodman uses to cut glare on video monitors except instead of the hood being angled, the monitor is angled.

• 2 months later...

Mine are working fine. There is a little bleed of light around the edges of the bezel on the left monitor. If I hadn't moved countries, I would have returned it to Marshall for a new one. But as I have, and I don't really care how awesome the image is, it's just not worth the hassle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...