New Rode blimp

Vincent R.

I think Rode is well on its way to becoming "Godzilla" in the audio world... Or what Sony was in the 80s-90s.

What intrigues me the most is the Rycote addition... and more specifically that there's a Rycote "approval" involved here... or else they wouldn't be using the name.

I'm probably going to get one of these so I can compare it to my Rycote system and Rode's previous version... Hopefully they knocked off a few ounces.

I wonder if they'll include a better fur sock to the blimp. The one that comes with the old blimp hasn't been too effective when there's a bit of wind. I usually prefer using the S-series Rycote over my Rode blimp because of similar performance (but less weight on the Rycote) in slightly windy conditions. Both aren't suitable for strong winds IMO.)

I bought a rode blimp as a backup and always wondered if I could install Rycote lyres in it. I just never used it enough to spend the time on it.

I'm currently working on something like that. Just ordered the lyres, just waiting for some free time between jobs to try the experiment.

I'm currently working on something like that. Just ordered the lyres, just waiting for some free time between jobs to try the experiment.

Let us know how it turns out. The metal rings and rubber bands are pretty heavy. I suspect it would lighten things up a bit to use the lyres. I picked up the original blimp on a sale, but never really needed to use it.

• 1 month later...