Kortwich Vorverstarker VCP-M3

Frogpole

Jim: " a good addition for those times you wand the additional preamps... "

... but if you regularly need additional preamps, maybe you need a bigger unit than the 633...?

Did you read the post all the way through, Senator? I said "If you have a 633 as your daily driver, I'd consider the VCP-M3 a good addition for those times you want the additional preamps." And while it's my typo, wanding preamps sounds really kinky. I'm not selling my 664 based on the availability of the VCP-M3. Just sayin'.

I don't understand all the photos that were posted of 633's loaded with 6 channels of radio mic receivers on day one of the product's availability. I guess if you like that kind of thing it's OK but for me it just devalues radio mics and the costs allied with them.

The opinions expressed are soley mine,

Jim

Sully sent me a note that he's heard from Kortwich. They intend to build a 4 input version of their add-on preamp specifically for the Nomad. 4 preamps, outputs on a pair of TA-5 connectors and a case that matches the Nomad's look. He will fill us in on the rest, I'm sure.

Best regards,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

With my Maxx yesterday I used my SD 302, but is to heavy. The VCP M2 seems to be ok, but under my point of view, I believe that a great box should also have a headphone output , the pfl and a return where to connect the headphone output of the Maxx, or 633 or nomad, in this manner we can listen the out of our recorder, the out of the premplifier and the pfl of extra input.

This is what I made Yesterday with my 302...

Zaxcom please try think something for us... icon_e_smile.gif

sorry for my English...

With my Maxx yesterday I used my SD 302, but is to heavy. The VCP M2 seems to be ok, but under my point of view, I believe that a great box should also have a headphone output , the pfl and a return where to connect the headphone output of the Maxx, or 633 or nomad, in this manner we can listen the out of our recorder, the out of the premplifier and the pfl of extra input.

This is what I made Yesterday with my 302...

Zaxcom please try think something for us... icon_e_smile.gif

sorry for my English...

These are not stand-alone mixers, they are meant to provide microphone preamps for line-only inputs on products from both Sound Devices and Zaxcom. As such, all headphone monitoring and returns would be handled by the host device since the existing 2 and 3 input devices and the soon-to-be-released 4 input preamp are intended solely as accessories to existing products with full monitoring capabilities.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jm, I understand your point of view, I'm sure the VCP-M2 / 3 is a very good preamp, but what I mean is that during a work bag, at least for me, working with the inputs 5/6 of my Maxx is an hard job. 
I'd like something in between a preamp and a mix that allows me to have a pfl fast and easy to use. I tried using the headphones control, but seems little bit difficult, at least for me...

• 2 years later...

just seen on the Kortwich website that there's a VCP-M2 mini now. looks tiny and intended for the alexa mini, but tempting for a light SD633 setup too:

csm_2-Kanal-Mixer_Arri_Alexa_4fdce1a57b.

Input : 2 x Mikrofon PH48 schaltbar ein/aus
Kanäle abschaltbar über Potenziometer ( 0-Stellung )
Jeder Kanal einzeln regelbar
Ausgang: Line Level / DC Eingang: 9-18V
Ausgang auf:
- XLR/M 5pol (Arri Alexa)
- Mini Lemo 5pol gewinkelt (Arii Alexa Mini)
- oder frei wählbar
280,00 € netto

It's not intended for an Alexa Mini with a 5 pin XLR output connector.  It needs to have that wacko mini-Lemo the mini uses for audio input.
I think Mozegear's box might be a little cheaper.  The larger VCP M2 is cool but that money I'd rather look for a used MixPre and have XLR ins, low rolloff, limiters, meters etc..

59 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

It's not intended for an Alexa Mini with a 5 pin XLR output connector.  It needs to have that wacko mini-Lemo the mini uses for audio input.
I think Mozegear's box might be a little cheaper.  The larger VCP M2 is cool but that money I'd rather look for a used MixPre and have XLR ins, low rolloff, limiters, meters etc..

Not sure what Ausgang auf means but the do list Arri Alexa Mini and it's dumb little mini Lemo 5pol gewinkelt. I'm guessing they have a full size Alexa version and an Alexa Mini version. 

• 3 years later...