Accounting/Billing Software?

I've been using MYOB for my accounting and billing software on the Mac. I've toyed with the idea of moving off MYOB to iBiz. Anybody else using something other than MYOB on the Mac for billing and accounting?

MYOB is a great program, but has had its fair share of bugs (I've even had to pay for tech support to report a bug, which they later confirmed ... then ticked me off by having me pay for the upgrade that fixed that bug). However, the program is also really overkill for our business. Usually we bill by our day rate, have gear rental, and sometimes overtime. Nothing that basic accounting software and billing software can't handle. Thus, the reason I'm wondering if people are using anything else.

Wayne

I have used them all, even back to Monogram's "Dollars and Sense" in the late 1980's on my first Macs. The software programs that have gotten the most long term use by me have been: MYOB (approx. 3 years), Quicken and/or Quickbooks for the last 10 years. I basically do not like any of them very much (and I have special love/hate, mostly dislike) for Intuit because of their totally screwed up approach to the Mac. Evidently, it hasn't been so terrific even in the Windows world for Intuit users, but it is the dominate software in use.

I have tried all the other programs that claim to be alternatives to the Quicken-Quickbooks dominance but they always seem to come up short, lacking features that I have gotten very used to with Intuit. They may get some things very right as far as user input, clear screens and graphics but be lacking such things as quickfill. MYOB, for example, still requires that you "memorize" a transaction so that it can be entered again later with less typing --- this is not, however, quickfill, which is the way Intuit does it.

Just recently I have been looking into iBank (v. 3.x I believe) which may finally be the ticket. Previous versions of iBank have been lacking. My general procedure is to run the new software with my personal account(s), basically just my own personal checking account, household expenses and so forth, and run this in parallel with Quicken which I continue to use for personal account. Then once discovering whether it works well or not, I do the same procedure except for my corporation --- running iBank, for example, in parallel with Quickbooks (the current and longest running software for my corporation). This is a lot of work but it is the only safe way to discover what works and what doesn't.

Needless to say, I have purchased (sometimes at a fairly hefty price) lots and lots of software that doesn't work. That's life.

-  Jeff Wexler

I've been using MYOB for my accounting and billing software on the Mac. I've toyed with the idea of moving off MYOB to iBiz. Anybody else using something other than MYOB on the Mac for billing and accounting?

MYOB is a great program, but has had its fair share of bugs (I've even had to pay for tech support to report a bug, which they later confirmed ... then ticked me off by having me pay for the upgrade that fixed that bug). However, the program is also really overkill for our business. Usually we bill by our day rate, have gear rental, and sometimes overtime. Nothing that basic accounting software and billing software can't handle. Thus, the reason I'm wondering if people are using anything else.

Wayne

You might want to look at "Paid" from: www.minutiaesoftware.com

Eric

IJust recently I have been looking into iBank (v. 3.x I believe) which may finally be the ticket.

iBank and iBiz are made by the same company and you can have both for an extra $20. Not a bad deal. I have tried to import some of my quicken data into iBank (did that yesterday), it didn't fare as well as I had hoped. But does seem to be the right answer as a real replacement to Quicken. I did do a test print of some checks and it works there.

I was less impressed by iBiz, but since I don't have to do a lot with it, I might drop MYOB in favor of it. Still not sure. A brief glance at the SW Eric mentioned looks quite intriguing too. Thanks Eric!

Wayne

I forgot all about PAID!, thanks Eric. I was an early beta tester for the original software from Minutiae and it is the ONLY software that is truly tailored to our industry. It was developed to service grips, electricians, sound people, camera people and so forth, primarily for commercials. It is developed using Filemaker Pro and works very, very well. It is not really a full featured accounting software package as it does not generate suitable reports for your accountant, nor does it do some of the basic things like printing checks and so on. What it does do beautifully is generate really nice invoice forms for both labor and materials. I do know people who use PAID! for all of their daly and weekly invoicing needs and then use something else (most often Quicken) to do the real accounting work.

-  Jeff Wexler