Help with sync a multi track pro tools recording and a video production

alexis

Hi

im recording a short doco about music

inspired by buena vista social club

most of the scenes are interviews following musical parts

its a big project and i never did a production double system before, im more a music engineer

whats the workflow that you recommend it?

recording everything to pro tools with a mixer and ad?

how can i sync everything to the camera?

Thanx

ProTools supports MTC/LTC timecode input / output.  Request production supply a timecode slate and timecode generator and jam your ProTools rig from the production supplied generator.  In order to read LTC timecode, you'll need an appropriate interface, like a SyncIO box or an LTC to MTC translator and something like the MOTU Sync AV.

...or hire on an additional location sound tech for this job that has the experience and equipment required to assist.  There's really no reason to use Pro Tools for the interview portion of this.  Supply the TT to XLR tails for the interview mics to the recordist and let them take care of the interviews.  They can even assist you with the music portions, providing a scratch / rough reference mix from you to cameras and handle all the intermediate timecode details.

To expand on the senator,

If at all possible have production put you together with the audio post supervisor or sound designer... Whoever has the job of turning your tracks into a finished film.

I've done a couple of music documentaries lately, and the more we could talk it through in pre-pro, the better the film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry.

To expand on the senator,

If at all possible have production put you together with the audio post supervisor or sound designer... Whoever has the job of turning your tracks into a finished film.

I've done a couple of music documentaries lately, and the more we could talk it through in pre-pro, the better the film.

Yep. Pre Pro is cheap, production expensive, post possibly even more expensive.

CrewC

Pre-pro is very often free. We're all just trying to make good movies here.

It's a shame that some productions never "get" that message.

Production is certainly expensive. Which is why you want to get all your ducks in a row, before the first shoot day.

Audio Post ... expensive? I wish. But we've got to control costs on this end, or else some Productions won't give us any post at all.

So let's all sing with the senator: workflow test!

... and with Jay: if there's anything unusual about your movie at all, have a pre-pro meeting that includes the production mixer and audio post, along with producer or director or somebody who can make decisions.