SD 633 , Features , Wish List / Questions

Joachim

I'm with Sean regarding the 633. I'm fairly newbie, and before the 633 I had a 442 and Tascam DR-680. Compared to that combo, the 633 is a lightweight dream, and I've been able to find a way to do everything I want it to do so far. I've had a few CF card errors on long takes (like over an hour, reality with a boom and four lavs all to iso and mix), but then I was also recording to the SD card, so no issue, 

I have been using mine for last two weeks - had it two months but I was on a 788 type job. I love pretty much everything about it - but mainly the lower weight and reduced power requirements.

Not sure about Mix Assist. Tried it on my 788 and not entirely sold - on a smaller unit I'm more inclined to practice my mixing skills.

I would like to have the return of the camera to sd633, being able to route to any of the output so that I can send that to the video village...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Added to my personal wish list, post #1.

You use all inputs ? (So there is no chance to split the return with an adaptor cable to 2 x TA3 and feed inputs 5+6)

Added another personal wish :

15. Keyboard , undocumented functionality of "Esc" , to be changed into "One-Step-back-in-the-Menu-Tree" :

When going into a menu via the Menu Button, e.g. Main Menu > 7.File Storage > 3.Folder Options > Enter > Folder Options Menu , then pressing the Menu Button will go back to File Storage Menu; the menu above the last one.

Going into a menu via keyboard : F1 > Arrows > Enter > Arrows > ... , it is not possible to go back to the last menu.

"Esc" will revert to the Main Screen.

"Esc" is not documented, but could have the functionality of "One-Step-back-in-the-Menu-Tree".

"Go-back-immediately-from-a-menu-to-Main-Screen" is already covered by the Select Button.

Presently, navigating in menus via keyboard is only "forth".

I'm worried about what happens when the card physically leaves the machine and goes into somebody else's hands. 

Me too, that's why I backup my card with my card reader on my laptop and on an USB stick. Data wranglers just get the stick.

Yes it is. They have always said it can't be done in the 600 series because the mixing is analog. Who knows what audio recorders SD has down the road, but for now that's a feature for the 788T flagship recorder. 

Hey JP, I was under the impression that the 633 did do digital mixing, as opposed to analog like in the 664. As a matter of fact, the 633 is able to do digital delay on its inputs, which I believe wouldn't be possible unless the mixing is digital. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AFMY: " volume control on the onboard slate mic "

just like all the others have...?

(actually a very few pieces of gear have an (sometimes internal) adjustment for the slate mic, IIRC)

after all, it is the slate mic... ^_^

and don't forget to add to the list, with all the other items:  the improvement in price that comes with all these modifications.

Edited by studiomprd

All of SD's other recorders and mixers have it, too (at least those that have a slate mic to begin with), although on the 442 it required a change of the firmware settings which were tedious to do. Something you'd only want to do once a month, and not once a day. OTOH I hardly ever touch my slate mic level. I do adjust the output level where it's routed to, now and then

• 1 year later...

I have a feature request that I have just submitted to Sound Devices:

- A user programmable setting in the "DC Ext Ref" section, allowing the user to set their own battery threshold values. With so many different battery setups out there, why not let me set my own warnings at the voltages I need?

cheers

Adam

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2014 at 1:53 AM, Joachim said:

I must have been blind, not to recognize that there is a SD forum ; just registered. Thanks Mike !

53.2 Hz : maybe applicable for a certain situation, I like to have more flexibility.

Yes, the SD forum is great. On the SD 633 I also would like it if the headphone return left and right could be adjusted separately. My right ear isn't what it used to be. This was a standard feature on many of my old analog mixers. Thanks for all the points you raised.