Irony ?

al mcguire

I'm glad it didn't clobber the poor reporter. I was on a gusty reality/doco shoot a year or two ago where a giant 20'x20' flag fell on me and the two ladies who were hosting the show, knocking us all to the ground. Luckily, it didn't hurt, and it was only on grass, but the director had an absolute fit with the grip department. Needless to say, for the rest of the day, there was a grip standing on each C-stand and no further incidents. I've had boom mic stands almost fall over due to terrible wind gusts, but that was a good lesson that forced me to get a very heavy duty C-stand instead of the cheapo stand I had been using. Never lost one, and they were heavily sandbagged, plus I kept a close eye on them.

I'm reminded of a similar incident from decades ago when I was a camera operator in another life. We had cheap sets at a local TV station, and during a shoot for a public service show, the entire set fell over on the talent. That was onto a concrete floor, and there was much screaming and yelling about that. Again, nobody was hurt, but it just shows you you can't clamp down something on a C-stand and expect it to magically stay up forever.