Canon xf305

Howdy men,

Last gasp just in case:

Sending a scratch track to 2 canon xf 305's using a Sennheiser g2 system.

Is there any way of adjusting the auto mode sensitivity on the camera?

Both the top mic and the scratch I'm sending are smashing into the red.

Normally this wouldn't be necessary as you'd be mixing but have the added quirk that there is no mixer on this show. Long story.

Gain structure up until the camera is correct all though if someone's found a modified way the works that isn't by the book I'd be interested in hearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobo: " there is no mixer on this show. "

OK, then what is your interest here ??  and if the cameras are recording a "scratch track" (I've recently mentioned this in another thread) then who/what is recording the "primary" audio..?

and with no one doing sound on the show, (besides the cameras)  then it is even clearer than clear that the camera folks have to know and deal with their tools...

this all sounds, er, strange..?

very strange!

Sadly no all blown out.

Everything's going to a main brain recorder for post but the story producer is looking at the dailies using the scratch track and is asking for better.

-(I feel an "unreasonable expectations" coming on)

The hope was that with everything set up right to the camera the auto would be able to give a slightly better sense of the action to the producer.

These canons though seem to just crank everything.

Seems strange though for a camera to be set up that high.

Don't know if its a fault or something I can adjust.

Hobo: " there is no mixer on this show. "

OK, then what is your interest here ?? and if the cameras are recording a "scratch track" (I've recently mentioned this in another thread) then who/what is recording the "primary" audio..?

and with no one doing sound on the show, (besides the cameras) then it is even clearer than clear that the camera folks have to know and deal with their tools...

this all sounds, er, strange..?

very strange!

Don't worry about it mike. You follow all the posts on here. I'm always up to no good somewhere,

Pretty basic. Put the audio channel in manual mode and dial the level appropriately. On the 305 there should be a hardware switch for this next to each pot... You could also try enabling the limiter in the camera menu. I usually leave it off but this might be a good case for it's use.

If sending TC to this camera apparently you can only send it 29.97 ND.. same goes for XF105.

hobo: " Don't know if its a fault or something I can adjust. "

Although I I see Derek has done your homework and looked up the manual for you...

if it is on the camera, then it might be something the camera folks can adjust...

(how would you feel if a DP came over to your toysand started changing the settings, or told you how to set your package up..?

" The hope was that with everything set up right to the camera the auto would be able to give a slightly better sense of the action to the producer. "

and if it is that good, well, it ought to be good enough to use.

YES, there are unreasonable expectations here, and, I feel safe in saying lack of budget and experience, as well...

Edited by studiomprd

the audio input switches look like the standard Canon setup. if you are using the G2 as the link I have found that it's sometimes better to use the mic ins and turn your TX output down to a mic level (-24? don't have one in front of me) AGC off. the line out from the G2 is not a hot level, and you have to crank the camera inputs up a lot to get suitable level. you should be fine. oh yeah, tape the pots down on the camera, maybe the switches too. This style of camera needs a lot of fiddling, and camera ops are often just as frustrated as sound folks with the damn thing and can easily hit the wrong switch or two.

I second Chris's suggestion of running the g2 at a hot mic level. Better, it seems, than a weak line level.

I'm using a similar setup right now and have my G3 receivers set to -6dB. This keeps the camera's trim pot just below half and keeps it's self noise at bay.